Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose...
Tampa 35 54.69%
Orlando 23 35.94%
Not sure 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Nobody knows what the best choice is for another, but if you are a water person, it has to be Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:07 AM

801 posts, read 1,513,860 times
Tampa is much closer to the beach than Orlando.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Orlando for sure. Next best city and international stature after Miami IMO
I felt this way also. Areas around Tampa seemed more run down and hick to be blunt.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I find them both very different. Not is a bad way just very different.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd be very tempted by Tampa...mainly for the History part, the ports etc.

It's all in what you want out of your city.

Oh and the traffic??? I-4 in Tampa scares the bejezzees out of me....like Orlando it's bumper to bumper but in Tampa you're bumper to bumper @ 80 mph and in Orlando you're bumper to bumper @ -5 mph.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I find them both very different. Not is a bad way just very different.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd be very tempted by Tampa...mainly for the History part, the ports etc.

It's all in what you want out of your city.

Oh and the traffic??? I-4 in Tampa scares the bejezzees out of me....like Orlando it's bumper to bumper but in Tampa you're bumper to bumper @ 80 mph and in Orlando you're bumper to bumper @ -5 mph.
No offense, but I think this is one example of preference for the two places. It says in your username that you are grandma. I think the Tampa metro area definitely caters to the older crowd a bit more. It feels downright sleepy to me outside a few select areas. Orlando while not a huge city has a bit more excitement. This was always my experience in both.

I think if you were a young 25-45 unmarried professional in Florida the metros would rank in order Miami/FLL, then Orlando, then Tampa/St Pete.

I am in this demographic and so are many of my peers/colleagues... we have all pretty much came to the same conclusion.
If you wanted to stay in the geographic area (more or less) (southeast, semi coastal, sub tropical) I think you would need to insert Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh Research Triangle in over the 2 central florida cities also. The weather isn't all sunshine and you might get a few snow flurries, but you get better job and cultural opportunities in those places, not a drastic trade off. There are a lot of half-backs in those areas going both ways, i.e. people from the north as well as people from FL who went north then came back somewhat closer. These are the areas a lot of my friends ended up going to that grew up in Florida.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No offense, but I think this is one example of preference for the two places. It says in your username that you are grandma. I think the Tampa metro area definitely caters to the older crowd a bit more. It feels downright sleepy to me outside a few select areas. Orlando while not a huge city has a bit more excitement. This was always my experience in both.

I think if you were a young 25-45 unmarried professional in Florida the metros would rank in order Miami/FLL, then Orlando, then Tampa/St Pete.

I am in this demographic and so are many of my peers/colleagues... we have all pretty much came to the same conclusion.
If you wanted to stay in the geographic area (more or less) (southeast, semi coastal, sub tropical) I think you would need to insert Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh Research Triangle in over the 2 central florida cities also. The weather isn't all sunshine and you might get a few snow flurries, but you get better job and cultural opportunities in those places, not a drastic trade off. There are a lot of half-backs in those areas going both ways, i.e. people from the north as well as people from FL who went north then came back somewhat closer. These are the areas a lot of my friends ended up going to that grew up in Florida.
No offense taken..I just happen to be a young Granny @ 49 . I'm a history buff that's why I mentioned the History.
I've never been into the nightclub scene so that's not an issue but I do see why the young professionals like Orlando. It's got a great downtown and is young and vibrant. But as you said I'm old so I prefer the quieter pace...just messing with you...I've always like the quieter pace. This is why I said it just depends on what you want out of your city.

And the posters were just asked about Tampa and Orlando. If you added the others in I would hands down pick Charlotte or Raleigh. But since my next move is to a small city (10K) in another state all together, my opinion is just that...an opinion.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Well I dont like Orlando as a whole. I do like downtown my favorite and south orlando area, east orlando and thats it. So if I can't live in one of those areas, I'd def not want to stay in Orlando.

Overall Tampa. Has the bay, river, beach, natural springs, more to do with dinner boats, zoo, aquarium, cruise port, more sports teams (even though they suck) lol, and more job opportunities not all rrelated to ****in healthcare. I like the fact that Tampas airport is more accessible as well. The people in Tampa are laid back and not as nosey and easily frustrated as people in Orlando and they have more events year round. Tampa's location is what puts it significantly over the top for me. Close to beautiful beaches, and the bay, it's more of a "Water is relaxing" deal for me. I like the history of Tampa and it's not so fast paced like Orlando, but I'd be fine living in certain parts of Orlando. I've been debating which city was best to stay in for a while, I still like Tampa and dislike Orlando, but i'm looking for better areas of Orlando to stay.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 PM

109 posts, read 207,731 times
Pretty hard call, but safe to say they are the top two large cities in Florida IMO

Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 21,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Both are cities in Florida, have similar demographics, are in counties of roughly the same population, and are approximately in the same area of Florida. They are commonly disputed against one another like Apple vs. Mac or Coke vs. Pepsi, etc.

But in terms of the cost of living, job market, raising a family, housing, economy, transportation and in terms of entertainment, etc, which city would you rather live in and call home? And which two city is better overall?
Having lived in Tampa for 7 years and Orlando 3 I can say without a doubt Orlando is better for me and my family. Tampa is dirty, a bit boring and not any where near as pretty as Orlando. So much more to do in Orlando at any age.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 21,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I felt this way also. Areas around Tampa seemed more run down and hick to be blunt.
I totally agree with you having lived in both places. You can get to Coco Beach in 45 minutes from Orlando and Daytona and NSB a little further. There are a lot of worn down neighborhoods in Orlando but there are so many more nicer area's. To me there is no comparison between the two. All of my friends from Tampa want to be in Orlando so visit often. None of my friends in Orlando have desire to go to Tampa so.... Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida