U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,797,979 times

Advertisements

I was born in PB and raised all throughout the tri county area.

When asked where I am from, I say the Miami area. Is this dishonest?

I have always viewed the urban areas of the 3 counties to be one large city. Miami being the epicenter of that city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 PM

23,089 posts, read 34,472,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I was born in PB and raised all throughout the tri county area. When asked where I am from, I say the Miami area. Is this dishonest?
No worse than someone from Stamford, CT or Perth Amboy, NJ saying they're from New York City....

Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 PM

817 posts, read 2,046,864 times
The term that people use now is "South Florida" which is inclusive of Dade/Broward/Palm Beach.

Saying you're from the Miami area means only Dade county.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
The term that people use now is "South Florida" which is inclusive of Dade/Broward/Palm Beach.

Saying you're from the Miami area means only Dade county.
I know of the "South Florida" term. I've told people both.

I get a blank stare when I say South Florida and it is only recognized when I say it is near Miami.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:18 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,046,571 times
No. You can say "South Florida" without stretching the truth... but to say "the Miami area" is a bit of an over-reach, IMO.

"Miami area" is Miami-Dade. Or, just say Palm Beach. They've heard of it... even if they don't know where it is, exactly. THEN you can say, "about an hour or so north of Miami."

I was born in NE Jersey, in an urban suburb outside of Newark and Jersey City, about 11 miles as the crow flies from downtown Manhattan (could see the skyline from my grandfather's house)... but I NEVER say I'm "from New York City!"

Old 12-17-2011, 11:41 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,475,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I was born in PB and raised all throughout the tri county area.

When asked where I am from, I say the Miami area. Is this dishonest?

I have always viewed the urban areas of the 3 counties to be one large city. Miami being the epicenter of that city.
No I don't think it's dishonest. it's the same metro area. Sometimes its just easier to say that than to give a full speech of the location of your hometown.

Now if you lived In Naples or Ft Pierce, that would be a lie.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No. You can say "South Florida" without stretching the truth... but to say "the Miami area" is a bit of an over-reach, IMO.

"Miami area" is Miami-Dade. Or, just say Palm Beach. They've heard of it... even if they don't know where it is, exactly. THEN you can say, "about an hour or so north of Miami."

I was born in NE Jersey, in an urban suburb outside of Newark and Jersey City, about 11 miles as the crow flies from downtown Manhattan (could see the skyline from my grandfather's house)... but I NEVER say I'm "from New York City!"
NJ is a different state. So I could see why, but 11 miles is still well within NY metro.

Also, I put PB about 30 min away from Dade. Not an hour. Maybe even less on a good day on 95.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
No I don't think it's dishonest. it's the same metro area. Sometimes its just easier to say that than to give a full speech of the location of your hometown.

Now if you lived In Naples or Ft Pierce, that would be a lie.
Exactly what I think.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:13 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,410,964 times
Out of state I refer to the entire area as Miami also. Only here in state do people know what South Florida is. It really all is the Miami metro area anyways.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,046,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro

Also, I put PB about 30 min away from Dade. Not an hour. Maybe even less on a good day on 95.
Sorry, but I still think you're stretching it too far... Miami from WPB is 75 miles.... 75 miles and a literal world away culturally! I'd say it is more appropriate for you to say you're from Fort Lauderdale, which is even closer than Miami. Everyone in the United States should know about Ft. Lauderdale.

Palm Beach is even served by a different media market than Miami-Dade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida