U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,535,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL biz View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of retired baby boomers on the way, but according to the Census FL is getting younger. Official stats in the link below

FL is a great place to live for all ages. Old reputations take a while to fade

Census: Florida is getting younger
Census: Florida is getting younger | HeraldTribune.com
That only works if you like endless Summer. Not everybody does, you know. THAT is really Florida's biggest selling point: the weather. If warm weather isn't your cup of tea, it will not appeal to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,191,263 times
I agree with you 100%. But why would anyone relocate to here in the first place knowing that it is "endless summer"?

quote=Jo48;22233921]That only works if you like endless Summer. Not everybody does, you know. THAT is really Florida's biggest selling point: the weather. If warm weather isn't your cup of tea, it will not appeal to you.[/quote

Old 12-22-2011, 03:37 PM

I would have to give the invention stuff to the minds of great humans
who invented it.

I am a NY transplant too. Same reasons basically.

We've loved it here for 24 years so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
As a recent NY-FL transplant, here's our story. We decided to move here primarily because of weather, cost of living issues, taxes, and the fact most of our families (not to mention our best friends) live here.

When we came, I had a job, but it sucked, so I recently started a new one I think is going to be a keeper. My wife did not, but she, too, has found one that she likes. My earning potential is a bit less than what I left in NY, but the lower taxes, tolls, and parking, not to even mention housing, will more than make up the difference, though it will take some time to reach my targets.

We love it here. The scenery, the weather, the social scene, the nearby resorts, you name it. Lacking employment issues that literally cause homelessness, we're here for good.

Yes, the summer heat and bugs can be brutal, but that's why god invented AC, swimming pools, and Off.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Do you have any statistics on that? How about a link that mentions a trend of graduates moving from FL and where are they going for these wonderful jobs that must await them there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
As has FL, as a lot of the college grads are headed out of Florida for jobs.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM

161 posts, read 345,405 times
This country is in a mess and I believe people who have lost jobs and homes figure " We are thisclose to homeless, why would we want to be homeless in Chicago ( insert any city here) we might as well be homeless in the Sunshine State" They sell what they can, take what little they have and head south. They have nothing to lose - poor is poor no matter the locale.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,474,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
This country is in a mess and I believe people who have lost jobs and homes figure " We are thisclose to homeless, why would we want to be homeless in Chicago ( insert any city here) we might as well be homeless in the Sunshine State" They sell what they can, take what little they have and head south. They have nothing to lose - poor is poor no matter the locale.
Warm and poor is probablly better than cold and poor.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree with you 100%. But why would anyone relocate to here in the first place knowing that it is "endless summer"?

quote=Jo48;22233921]That only works if you like endless Summer. Not everybody does, you know. THAT is really Florida's biggest selling point: the weather. If warm weather isn't your cup of tea, it will not appeal to you.[/quote
In my husband's case, surprisingly a job. Weather wasn't in the picture at all. After 7 years in Florida, he is talking about when he retiries moving to Pa. He said he doesn't want to go back to NY because of it's politics! lol

Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Follow the job; whether Florida, or North Dakota.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM

10,540 posts, read 10,770,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I worked with a special needs homeless teenager in Naples. They lived out of their car when they lost their home. His Dad was a construction worker who was out of work after the housing bust. He couldn't find another job, including fast food, Lowe's, etc., etc. He got a job in North Dakota and they moved in a matter of days. Apparently, the JOB meant more to them than warm weather and sunshine. BTW, they were native Floridians so it was going to be MAJOR change for them.
Good for them. I would do the same thing if I had to. Everyone is making $$$ out there

Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Following the job is not a good way to live ones life.

Then you are living to work instead of working to live.

Maybe want some would want. Not I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Follow the job; whether Florida, or North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or