U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Reputation: 7694

Advertisements

Our local population growth for 2011 is almost entirely from 'ebil gub'mint spendin'- the relocation of the Green Berets from North Carolina to up by Crestview. They're highly-educated middle class wage-earners. Even if you don't have a college degree with those guys, you're expected to be fluent in about 3 different languages and have an otherwise interesting work skills set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,391,413 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Maybe they just don't want to help YOU - I've been helped many times.
I'm sure you have ... by AAA or some other road service. For the record, I haven't broken down in Florida but have seen how many are treated if they happen to hold someone up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'm sure you have ... by AAA or some other road service. For the record, I haven't broken down in Florida but have seen how many are treated if they happen to hold someone up.

Yes the horns will start a honking. FL is the land of "me first, get out my way". Granted most of it comes from the northern transplants but it still makes life less pleasant.

Especially when you have lived in parts of the country where people show more courtesy on the roads and out in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 03:04 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess some people have driving phobia.

Under the thinking you posted it seems that paralell parking should be banned since cars have to pull out into traffic in order to get out of the parking spot.

I don't think I've ever seen a car "sitting in the middle" waiting to get into traffic not here or anywhere else for that matter.

It will be a long long time before the Suncoast is going to need any expansion at least north of SR 52.
Then please get your eyes checked.

There are always cars sitting in the middle of US 19. Trying to a make a left turn, they get across one side and sit in the middle, waiting to get a chance to pull into traffic.

It's not unusal to see more than one car sitting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
Reputation: 6009
Oh, yes, in the center median intersections, surely. I thought you meant pulling out of a strip mall.




Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Then please get your eyes checked.

There are always cars sitting in the middle of US 19. Trying to a make a left turn, they get across one side and sit in the middle, waiting to get a chance to pull into traffic.

It's not unusal to see more than one car sitting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
 
Location: N.H Gods Country
2,359 posts, read 4,489,086 times
Reputation: 1973
That seems to be the major cause of accidents up and down RT 19. I had one of those bumper stickers at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 03:33 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Oh, yes, in the center median intersections, surely. I thought you meant pulling out of a strip mall.
Yes, that is what I mean. I have seen up to 4 cars(two in each direction) all wanting to get into the flow of traffic. All sitting in the middle, and that is a frequent cause of accidents.

Then add in people making u-turns.

I will actually go in the opposite direction and get to a traffic light or at least to one of the islands where you only have to turn across three lanes.

Much safer and time wise it is often quicker to go a little bit out of your way then have to sit there waiting for a break in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
Reputation: 6009
I agree. I usually do the same thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, that is what I mean. I have seen up to 4 cars(two in each direction) all wanting to get into the flow of traffic. All sitting in the middle, and that is a frequent cause of accidents.

Then add in people making u-turns.

I will actually go in the opposite direction and get to a traffic light or at least to one of the islands where you only have to turn across three lanes.

Much safer and time wise it is often quicker to go a little bit out of your way then have to sit there waiting for a break in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree. I usually do the same thing.
Yeah, sometimes you will get lucky and it is clear enough in both directions to get across.

But usually I will just make a right and turn at the next intersection.

Especially at dusk, when some people don't have their headlights on and they blend into the road.

Safer that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 AM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,277,189 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I read about the 1,000 people a day leaving Florida along with other
gloom and doom postings. Seems those who feel the state is
on a downward spiral need to figure out why a 1/4 of a million
people became Florida residents recently.

Florida growth in population on upswing - Local - BradentonHerald.com
I suspect these numbers reflect the first wave of baby boomers who turned 65 this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top