Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
i had heard mid-decade previously, but the trend is there nonetheless. NY is only getting growth from NYC. People are fleeing the rest of NY state.
So you will flee a state with 8.0% unemployment to one with 10.0%? Who needs a job when you can have sunshine and warm weather? Again, unless you have a nice retirement nest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:53 AM

31 posts, read 49,644 times
Default Census: Florida is getting younger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yep, you will get all the rich, retired baby boomers. not families.
I'm sure there are a lot of retired baby boomers on the way, but according to the Census FL is getting younger. Official stats in the link below

FL is a great place to live for all ages. Old reputations take a while to fade

Census: Florida is getting younger
Census: Florida is getting younger | HeraldTribune.com

Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Yep and those immigrants are changing the demographics of a lot of S. Fl. Yes, the feds to like to hand it out to immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Plenty of immigrants come to Florida from South and Central America without a pot to pee in ... it is geographically close, climatically similar, and the ethnic distribution is desirable in some areas of Florida. And who needs handouts from Florida - the Feds give out plenty.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So you will flee a state with 8.0% unemployment to one with 10.0%? Who needs a job when you can have sunshine and warm weather? Again, unless you have a nice retirement nest.
Plenty of young people have been fleeing so far. Nothing lowers your UE rate better than having a population trying to flee as quickly as possible. North Dakota has a great UE rate because no one wants to live there. People who are desperate enough for good-paying jobs have been moving there though with good success.

Flight of Young Adults Is Causing Alarm Upstate - New York Times
Top 10 States People Are Fleeing - Yahoo! Real Estate
The Lost Generation: NYC losing young people to cheaper cities - am New York

Young people have been probably heading to TX or the Carolinas more than FL I imagine, but the trend is still there nonetheless. NY, especially the areas outside of NYC, has a hard time keeping people in its borders.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Add 5 more to the list.

Not retired b-c of age and moved here 6 months ago.

And LOVE IT!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Plenty of young people have been fleeing so far. Nothing lowers your UE rate better than having a population trying to flee as quickly as possible. North Dakota has a great UE rate because no one wants to live there. People who are desperate enough for good-paying jobs have been moving there though with good success.

Young people have been probably heading to TX or the Carolinas more than FL I imagine, but the trend is still there nonetheless. NY, especially the areas outside of NYC, has a hard time keeping people in its borders.
As has FL, as a lot of the college grads are headed out of Florida for jobs.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:45 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Great! Hopefully my property value goes up a little more so I can get out!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
As a recent NY-FL transplant, here's our story. We decided to move here primarily because of weather, cost of living issues, taxes, and the fact most of our families (not to mention our best friends) live here.

When we came, I had a job, but it sucked, so I recently started a new one I think is going to be a keeper. My wife did not, but she, too, has found one that she likes. My earning potential is a bit less than what I left in NY, but the lower taxes, tolls, and parking, not to even mention housing, will more than make up the difference, though it will take some time to reach my targets.

We love it here. The scenery, the weather, the social scene, the nearby resorts, you name it. Lacking employment issues that literally cause homelessness, we're here for good.

Yes, the summer heat and bugs can be brutal, but that's why god invented AC, swimming pools, and Off.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Didn't know god invented those? Did Jesus request those? Lol

Old 12-22-2011, 03:03 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:

I worked with a special needs homeless teenager in Naples. They lived out of their car when they lost their home. His Dad was a construction worker who was out of work after the housing bust. He couldn't find another job, including fast food, Lowe's, etc., etc. He got a job in North Dakota and they moved in a matter of days. Apparently, the JOB meant more to them than warm weather and sunshine. BTW, they were native Floridians so it was going to be MAJOR change for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida