U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 AM

341 posts, read 419,593 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering is Florida worth visiting in the winter? I do not want to go when it's cold. The last time I was there in the winter was in dec 07 it was nice but the weather the last 2 years has been bad so how do you think it will be around dec30-jan6? Specifically from the Tampa - Pensacola area and anywhere in between? Also I have a few more questions:

1) Does the water and environment change? For example, are the trees and spanish moss and all that similar in the winter as the summer or do they change and how so? Is the water on the clearwater and panhandle beaches the same as in the summer(clear turqoise-blue) or is it greyish(as it was when i was in clearwater in dec07)?

2)Where can I get cheap swamp tours or alligator tours?

3)How can you hunt gators and do you need a license?

4)Will the weather be nice in the panhandle in the daytimes? What would you expect the temperature to be?

5)Where can I find a good clean green spring to swim in? Is the color as green as usual?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM

341 posts, read 419,593 times
?

Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,150,424 times
I can answer some of ur questions although I am about an hr 1/2 south of tampa climate doesn't change much

1 no it doesn't change , it's a bland green year round the leaves won't fall the flowers won't wither and nothing will change so have no fear I'll never be able to tell if it's winter spring or fall here. I can't speak for the water but it probably will not be warm it's not further south so certainly nit in the panhandle and as far as color really that varies day to day .

2. Dunno not up there at least

3. I do believe it is illegal to hunt alligators in fla unless they r a nuisance and usually the only ones who hold the license to hunt them r people like fish and wild life. You should not come down to kill off our wildlife. I do wish however they would legalize tourist and snowbird hunting license . They are a nuisance to locals.

Check the weather channel. If there is a cold front coming it will be cold. If there isnt one coming it won't be

5. I don't swim in fla waters . Gators can snakes swim in almost all our waters including springs and if not them then snapping turtles and brain eating ameba .. Enjoy ur trip!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,409,146 times
The weather doesnt change much unless it's precipitation that makes a drastic temp drop from 90's to 60's. For instance it's 84 degrees right now. IF a cold front were to come through, for a day or two it may be in the 70's or 60'2 with extra widnd making it cooler, but it has not been no where below 50 this year. (Orlando Area) Areas further soft, even less of a change.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,114,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I'm just wondering is Florida worth visiting in the winter? I do not want to go when it's cold. The last time I was there in the winter was in dec 07 it was nice but the weather the last 2 years has been bad so how do you think it will be around dec30-jan6? Specifically from the Tampa - Pensacola area and anywhere in between? Also I have a few more questions:

1) Does the water and environment change? For example, are the trees and spanish moss and all that similar in the winter as the summer or do they change and how so? Is the water on the clearwater and panhandle beaches the same as in the summer(clear turqoise-blue) or is it greyish(as it was when i was in clearwater in dec07)?

2)Where can I get cheap swamp tours or alligator tours?

3)How can you hunt gators and do you need a license?

4)Will the weather be nice in the panhandle in the daytimes? What would you expect the temperature to be?

5)Where can I find a good clean green spring to swim in? Is the color as green as usual?

Thanks
1. No, it's the same year round
2. I dont know, but i'm sure they exist
3. You can hunt gators, but it's only done a certain time of the year and you have to have a license. They only give out a certain number per year. That said, no one will care if you just walk up and cap one, they are not endangered anymore by ANY means.
4. The weather has been warmer than average this winter. It's 83 degrees today. For me, it sucks, for you, it's likely great.
5. There are no "green" springs. The water color is naturally BLUE, not green. There are plenty around, the water is the same temperature year round, about 72 degrees F. If the water is GREEN, that means there is a lot of algae and I would not swim in it personally.

Your question "is it worth coming to Florida", that's for you to answer. There are plenty of tourists here already, so my answer you probably dont want to hear...

Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM

34,258 posts, read 41,302,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I'm just wondering is Florida worth visiting in the winter? I do not want to go when it's cold.

Thanks
Guess you better stay put then as no one can predict what the weather is going to be like in a Florida winter..
Whatever the Florida weather will be in winter i'll bet it will be a whole lot warmer than where you are coming from..

Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM

6,307 posts, read 3,554,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Guess you better stay put then as no one can predict what the weather is going to be like in a Florida winter..
Whatever the Florida weather will be in winter i'll bet it will be a whole lot warmer than where you are coming from..
Unless the winter is like that of 2 years ago which broke 40 year records. That January when we were driving back from North, the temperature in Jacksonville was only 10 degrees warmer than NY. I think I remember people saying they even saw SNOW (horror!!!) there that year.

That was the best winter I have spent in almost 5 years of Florida.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:30 PM

6,307 posts, read 3,554,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I can answer some of ur questions although I am about an hr 1/2 south of tampa climate doesn't change much

1 no it doesn't change , it's a bland green year round the leaves won't fall the flowers won't wither and nothing will change so have no fear I'll never be able to tell if it's winter spring or fall here. I can't speak for the water but it probably will not be warm it's not further south so certainly nit in the panhandle and as far as color really that varies day to day .

2. Dunno not up there at least

3. I do believe it is illegal to hunt alligators in fla unless they r a nuisance and usually the only ones who hold the license to hunt them r people like fish and wild life. You should not come down to kill off our wildlife. I do wish however they would legalize tourist and snowbird hunting license . They are a nuisance to locals.

Check the weather channel. If there is a cold front coming it will be cold. If there isnt one coming it won't be

5. I don't swim in fla waters . Gators can snakes swim in almost all our waters including springs and if not them then snapping turtles and brain eating ameba .. Enjoy ur trip!
I live in a development in Naples on a lake on a golf course. Yes, we occasionally have had gators in the lakes. One day a couple of golfers (male and female) spotted a gator in the lake. They were SCREAMING let's GET OUT OF HERE. It was very funny. Of course the gator paid no attention to them whatsoever. If the gator paid no attention to an egret a couple of feet away, a few golfers on land weren't worth his attention either.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:56 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,988,154 times
If you like temperatures in the 80s, blue skies, and lots of sunshine, I'd encourage you to hop on a plane and get down here. The weather has been perfect. I went swimming this week and it was lovely. Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida