U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,521,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Thanks again for posting. Be nice to see both those ratings closer together. If anything, for now COL is still climbing and income is falling all across US. Not a good combination. Surprised D.C. is as low as it is.

This chart is interesting because many of these places house large govt employee populations.
Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The most telling stat is number of counties per state in the top 100, Florida has none and aside from Texas, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky, the entire south has none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,910,146 times
Yeah, Though technically those states are considered southern. The Mid Atlantic and Eastern are very different than a real southern state like Texas. FL actually seems surprisingly un-southern in many aspects. The weather isn't one of them. I think FL could have great potential if it actually tried to have a diverse economy. However, as long as it has the money it does it apparently isn't interested in a broader economic base.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,521,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Yeah, Though technically those states are considered southern. The Mid Atlantic and Eastern are very different than a real southern state like Texas. FL actually seems surprisingly un-southern in many aspects. The weather isn't one of them. I think FL could have great potential if it actually tried to have a diverse economy. However, as long as it has the money it does it apparently isn't interested in a broader economic base.
Well, obviously Florida isn't southern. It lost most of its residents to other states. Geographically though.. It's down there

Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,304,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
What does all this have to do with natives leaving Florida? And yeah who cares about chain places, the local places are usually much better
My original post was pretty much a venting. It's fine that the conversation turned into something more positive.

So I went ahead and got that plane ticket to Arizona. It's supposed to be pretty nice even in March. Still even if I like the city of Phoenix, I'll have to go again when it's hot, and try to imagine 5 months of it!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,955,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Isn't that, in itself, sad ?

The corporate companies in the North that own all the hotel chains are making money, All the fast food chains from other states are making money, all the grocery stores (outside of WinnDixie, Publix, and Sweetbay) are out of state and making money..

In the mean time, They also employ people at minimum wage whom stay under the poverty line and in most cases are on public assistance that drain the state of tax dollars.

The last time I came home to the Bay Area, I stayed at the Holiday Inn (based in Atlanta, GA) I ate at Texas Roadhouse (Illinois) and shopped at Walmart (Arkansas). I guess you're assuming the sales tax I paid (.07 on the dollar still ?) was a huge gain to the states economy but don't you feel that residents of Florida, the Natives, even the transplants should have decent jobs at decent wages ?

There are SO MANY natives that have been forced to leave their homes because it's not sustainable for the average Joe to live a good life. Do you not think that's sad ?

Wrong thing with Florida # 34859294: People place wildlife and nature over the well being of their fellow man and woman.
Texas GDP per capita is about $45K, Florida's GDP per capita is about $40K.
The difference in per capita income between the states is $219 a year.
I see no big divide there.

I also don't know why you bring up minimum wage when Texas has the highest percentage of minimum wage earners in the county.

Texas has a higher percentage of people below the poverty line at 15.8% to Florida's 13.2%.

Now before you bring up home prices, let me throw this out there. Looking at the 4 major metro areas in each state, the median home price in Tampa is $134.2K, Orlando $134.7K, Jacksonville $137.7K and Miami at $201.9K.

In Texas you have Austin at $193.6K, Dallas at $143.8K, Houston at $155K and San Antonio at $151K.

It seems while wages are virtually even between the states but housing a bit more expensive in Texas.

Please show me where Texas has some great advantage over Florida, I just don't see it.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Ya know it's a damn shame when you post something unpopular to the natives & have to battle your way thru a thread defending your opinion. I see you've already encountered thing 1, and it's just a matter of time before thing 2 will show up, but it's ok though cause I admire a poster such as you who stands their ground and doesn't allow those cheerleaders to bully them & chase them off. You're entitled to your opinion whether it's pro or con, fact or fiction. Sometimes comments made smack some onto their behinds & they can't handle it, they'd rather continue floating down the sea of denial. But keep on doing you. I got nothing but love for ya babe.
The only problem is when the post is based on opinion but is attempted to be presented as fact.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Please show me where Texas has some great advantage over Florida, I just don't see it.
In the mind of a Texan.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
This is another cool thing -- Shows where people are moving to and from

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
I think your map is seriously flawed since the county I live in has increased in population by 10% over the 5 years your map covers, yet your map shows that more people have left the county than entered the county every year.

Unless there was an extreme baby boom the likes of which the world has never seen and people miraculously stopped dying here, this is not possible.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,269,233 times
I have never had a problem finding a job in Florida. Taxes? My property tax went from $2,000.00 a year to $600.00 a year. What increased tax revenues? Schools in a lot of states have lost millions and millions in education expenses.

However, enjoy where you are.

Quote:
I'll fix that for you...

Originally Posted by Spring Hillian
I'll take nice beaches, pristine wildlife and other advantages of Florida any day over jobs, increased tax revenues that lead to better schools and education, and decreased poverty for my fellow Floridians.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,269,233 times
You speak of employers paying minimum wage. Don't you understand that generally speaking, people who earn the minimum wage are doing so because that is the best they can do? At least they are employed.

If one has a skill to offer an employer as well as the right attitude toward the job, they will advance in life and never work for minimum wage.

Perhaps you are a minimum wage worker with no skills and are stuck on the fact that everyone is just like you. Obviously you feel that "the state" owes you a job. It's employers that have jobs and they need people to do them. There is a lot more to the world around you than Publix, McDonalds, etc. We have millions of people hear who own homes, vehicles, live quite normal lives and don't earn the minimum wage.
I know of at least 16 "Fortune 500" companies based in Florida.

Quote:
Isn't that, in itself, sad ?

The corporate companies in the North that own all the hotel chains are making money, All the fast food chains from other states are making money, all the grocery stores (outside of WinnDixie, Publix, and Sweetbay) are out of state and making money..

In the mean time, They also employ people at minimum wage whom stay under the poverty line and in most cases are on public assistance that drain the state of tax dollars.

The last time I came home to the Bay Area, I stayed at the Holiday Inn (based in Atlanta, GA) I ate at Texas Roadhouse (Illinois) and shopped at Walmart (Arkansas). I guess you're assuming the sales tax I paid (.07 on the dollar still ?) was a huge gain to the states economy but don't you feel that residents of Florida, the Natives, even the transplants should have decent jobs at decent wages ?

There are SO MANY natives that have been forced to leave their homes because it's not sustainable for the average Joe to live a good life. Do you not think that's sad ?

Wrong thing with Florida # 34859294: People place wildlife and nature over the well being of their fellow man and woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or