U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Reputation: 1960

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It's so sad that you think picking one house within one of the highest priced metros in Florida and comparing it to a house in the suburbs of one of the mid-range priced metros of Texas is a true comparison.

Why didn't you respond to TriMT7's post and the homes he provided pictures of?
You stated you could find the type of home you posted in Houston for $120K but I guess you couldn't so you moved your boundary out to Katy?
14007 Marners Ct, Houston, TX 77014 - HAR.com

11639 Abby Ridge Way, Houston, TX 77044 - HAR.com

14239 Beech Glen Dr., Houston, TX 77083 - HAR.com

6842 Carly Park Way, Houston, TX 77084 - HAR.com

15639 Ashbournne Springs Ln, Houston, TX 77095 - HAR.com

1806 Macclesby Ln, Houston, TX 77049 - HAR.com

Need more ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
"There are none so blind as those who will not see." There are many who post here who really do NOT want to see these things - perhaps they are just overjustifying why they can't make it here, or can't live here or who knows what. But they can be in denial all they want, Florida has had it's booms and busts throughout time and this choo-choo is revving up again.
If a 10.3% unemployment rate in Sarasota County, FL is "booming" then that speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
 
15,353 posts, read 17,612,250 times
Reputation: 13483
Why do people come to the FL forums to relentlessly bash Florida? People move in and out of states all the time. Why trash a state because YOU don't like it? We have 50 states to choose from. If you don't like one state, then move elsewhere. But to trash and trash and nitpick is very
inconsiderate.

Then to stretch facts and figures to make your point (ignore the poor in TX on the statistics, but don't ignore the poor in FL on the figures. )nThen start nitpicking cheap arse houses as being ugly. News flash, lots of houses are ugly...and one person's idea of an ugly house is another person's idea of a nice place to live. We are lucky in the country to have even the ugly houses. After all, a house is not art work, it is a place to live.

just try to show some common courtesy and realize that one persons's situation does not mirror everyone else's situation.

Some people like FL, some hate it. Got the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM
 
15,195 posts, read 31,143,494 times
Reputation: 18364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
If a 10.3% unemployment rate in Sarasota County, FL is "booming" then that speaks volumes.
Unemployment has been going down steadily - and several areas of Florida are going to have the most job opportunities this year, according to a recent article by Forbes that was posted here recently.

Look TXRyan, I live here you don't. I see all around me what is happening. Things are booming here. If you don't want to believe it, I really don't care. Stay in your beloved Texas or Tennesee or wherever it is you think is so great compared to Florida, are you trying to convince me or yourself that things are so bad here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
just try to show some common courtesy and realize that one persons's situation does not mirror everyone else's situation.

Some people like FL, some hate it. Done. Got the point. OK?
sware2cod, For starters, are you from Florida ? Are you a northern transplant that now lives in Florida, or are you none of the above, one of the ones that has dreams of the Magic Kingdom and beautiful beaches but are oblivious to the rest ?

This thread was started by someone that was sick of living in Florida, wanted to leave, and wanted the opinions of people who also want to leave and people that left. I fit that category. Now, regardless of how you feel about the state, I've been there and done that. I have experiences (good and bad) with living in the state and I offer my opinions to those that ask questions. Granted, a majority of my postings about the state are negative because it's just not a great place to live. It's a wonderful place to visit and vacation but the economy is toast and the cost of living is too high based on the wages.

I'm sure there are plenty of engineers, doctors, laywers, nurses, ect, ect that LOVE Florida to death, and they have good reason. However, I know of several people (some of my friends even) that have 4 year degrees from UF and USF that work at Walmart, and not as management.

Not all of my postings about the state are bad. I hardly ever comment on areas where I have no experiences. While living in Florida I've lived in Orange, Seminole, Polk, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Lee, Glades, and Hendry Counties. I hardly ever post on Miami, Jacksonville, or the Panhandle although I've visted all regions of the state, especially the Panhandle when I lived in Louisiana. It was a short drive.

As far as Texas goes, You can spout off facts until your blue in the face. We have A LOT of low wage jobs. I won't deny that. However, We HAVE those jobs. Florida is lacking in jobs period and that's why the unemployment rate is over 10%. Alot of the people here have the option to work their way into a higher paying job or even by going into an entirely different field. We have tons of high paying jobs. We just don't have alot of people that qualify or want those jobs. Our cost of living is 3rd lowest in the country behind Oklahoma and Tennessee. So if you want to get down to it, While Floridians may have made $1-2 dollars more per hour on average, Our cost of living is WAY less then yours so our $1-2 stretches further.

Either way, If you don't like what I post then put me on your ignore list because It's a free country/forum and I completely intend to continue posting on this forum because, most likely, unlike you, I'm a native and it's my home and I still care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Look TXRyan, I live here you don't. I see all around me what is happening. Things are booming here. If you don't want to believe it, I really don't care. Stay in your beloved Texas or Tennesee or wherever it is you think is so great compared to Florida, are you trying to convince me or yourself that things are so bad here.
Florida's Economic Pain, Anger Could Shape 2012 Race : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM
 
15,353 posts, read 17,612,250 times
Reputation: 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
...then put me on your ignore list ....

Done. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,699,152 times
Reputation: 8567

Well actually, a lot of those places seem to be in "unincorporated Houston..." Outside the loop, and as far out as other suburban towns, and still not really comparable to anything in Miami.


We have the same thing in S. Florida.... for example, the city of West Palm Beach is actually only 105k people, confined to specific boundaries. However, anything outside the incorporated area gets a "West Palm Beach" address.... which actually does the city itself a disservice, since a lot of "unincorporated" West Palm Beach is blah.




I did a search of historic in town neighborhoods in Houston... since i don't know much about the locales, I chose one at random: Woodland Heights. Looks like 2/1s are available there losted at 275k... 2/2 at 320k, 4/2 at 600k.

Houston Historic District Map Search Project


Compared to a similar feeling Miami neighborhood, such as the Coconut Grove area, the prices are similar.

For someone like ME, then, who wants in town neighborhoods and not exurb or suburban tract homes, it's probably a wash.

Property taxes in Houston are higher, home insurance will be higher in Miami.

A wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I did a search of historic in town neighborhoods in Houston... since i don't know much about the locales, I chose one at random: Woodland Heights. Looks like 2/1s are available there losted at 275k... 2/2 at 320k, 4/2 at 600k.

Houston Historic District Map Search Project


Compared to a similar feeling Miami neighborhood, such as the Coconut Grove area, the prices are similar.

For someone like ME, then, who wants in town neighborhoods and not exurb or suburban tract homes, it's probably a wash.

Property taxes in Houston are higher, home insurance will be higher in Miami.

A wash.
I'll meet you half way. I've lived in downtown-ish areas and would never do it again, It's not for me. I can admit the prices are a was IN the city but you have to admit that our houses in the suburbs are nicer and cheaper. You can find similar houses to the ones I posted at 100k or less if you look hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,513,939 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Done. Thanks for the tip.
Good, still never answered my question. You're quick to tell people to leave the forum but you've probably never even been to the state for more than a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top