U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: N.H Gods Country
2,359 posts, read 4,494,276 times
Reputation: 1973

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
sware2cod, For starters, are you from Florida ? Are you a northern transplant that now lives in Florida, or are you none of the above, one of the ones that has dreams of the Magic Kingdom and beautiful beaches but are oblivious to the rest ?

This thread was started by someone that was sick of living in Florida, wanted to leave, and wanted the opinions of people who also want to leave and people that left. I fit that category. Now, regardless of how you feel about the state, I've been there and done that. I have experiences (good and bad) with living in the state and I offer my opinions to those that ask questions. Granted, a majority of my postings about the state are negative because it's just not a great place to live. It's a wonderful place to visit and vacation but the economy is toast and the cost of living is too high based on the wages.

I'm sure there are plenty of engineers, doctors, laywers, nurses, ect, ect that LOVE Florida to death, and they have good reason. However, I know of several people (some of my friends even) that have 4 year degrees from UF and USF that work at Walmart, and not as management.

Not all of my postings about the state are bad. I hardly ever comment on areas where I have no experiences. While living in Florida I've lived in Orange, Seminole, Polk, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Lee, Glades, and Hendry Counties. I hardly ever post on Miami, Jacksonville, or the Panhandle although I've visted all regions of the state, especially the Panhandle when I lived in Louisiana. It was a short drive.

As far as Texas goes, You can spout off facts until your blue in the face. We have A LOT of low wage jobs. I won't deny that. However, We HAVE those jobs. Florida is lacking in jobs period and that's why the unemployment rate is over 10%. Alot of the people here have the option to work their way into a higher paying job or even by going into an entirely different field. We have tons of high paying jobs. We just don't have alot of people that qualify or want those jobs. Our cost of living is 3rd lowest in the country behind Oklahoma and Tennessee. So if you want to get down to it, While Floridians may have made $1-2 dollars more per hour on average, Our cost of living is WAY less then yours so our $1-2 stretches further.

Either way, If you don't like what I post then put me on your ignore list because It's a free country/forum and I completely intend to continue posting on this forum because, most likely, unlike you, I'm a native and it's my home and I still care.

It's nice to hear the opinion's to the question that was origionally asked,by someone who actually has that experience. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,518,458 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
It's nice to hear the opinion's to the question that was origionally asked,by someone who actually has that experience. Thank You
Thank you.

There's nothing more dangerous to city-data than cheerleaders that waive their pom-poms about a place, having never been there or only been there on vacations.

A lot of people, as crazy as it may seem, place peoples experiences and what they say fairly high when it comes to re-locations and stuff and there have been plenty of people that moved to Florida thinking it was wonderful and ended up living in their cars. (I know there have been alot of success stories too though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,396,103 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Thank you.

There's nothing more dangerous to city-data than cheerleaders that waive their pom-poms about a place, having never been there or only been there on vacations.
Or have only lived there and nowhere else ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
 
6,399 posts, read 3,589,274 times
Reputation: 7341
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Or have only lived there and nowhere else ...
Well, the OT was about NATIVES so only those natives who want to leave are relevant to the topic.

It seems from the posts not many of the natives on CD want to move any place else. I have know natives who want to move, but they don't post on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
 
15,374 posts, read 17,635,961 times
Reputation: 13497
The very first post asked those " either born in Florida or spent the bulk of their lives here"

Since I spent several decades (bulk of my life) in FL, and my spouse is a Native, I gave my input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
1,389 posts, read 1,949,565 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why do people come to the FL forums to relentlessly bash Florida? People move in and out of states all the time. Why trash a state because YOU don't like it? We have 50 states to choose from. If you don't like one state, then move elsewhere. But to trash and trash and nitpick is very
inconsiderate.

Then to stretch facts and figures to make your point (ignore the poor in TX on the statistics, but don't ignore the poor in FL on the figures. )nThen start nitpicking cheap arse houses as being ugly. News flash, lots of houses are ugly...and one person's idea of an ugly house is another person's idea of a nice place to live. We are lucky in the country to have even the ugly houses. After all, a house is not art work, it is a place to live.

just try to show some common courtesy and realize that one persons's situation does not mirror everyone else's situation.

Some people like FL, some hate it. Got the point.
i used to think like you; that people were unnecessarily bashing florida because it was the cool thing to do. i thought maybe they were jealous of the mild winters, or maybe they were one of those morons who moved here without a job and projected their misery in all directions.

then i lived here for a while, and i started to realize that most of the people "bashing" florida started off merely pointing out the downsides of living here that were firmly based in reality and over time became so agitated by the cheerleaders bashing their posts, that they spoke up louder to counterbalance.

then i noticed that for every one of these people, there were 5-10 people who jumped down their throats for even mentioning anything negative about florida, even if the person was merely stating fact-based statistics. most of them are annoying trolls or real estate agents with some level of financial stake in promoting florida as something it isn't.

perfect example is a thread (that probably doesn't exist anymore because every argument is summarily wiped out of existence around here) about employment in tampa bay. someone mentioned a particular section of the bay area has few professional job opportunities and one of the nastiest troll cheerleaders on the forums piped up with a link to a city job site showing a whopping 7 jobs, 4 of them of the "custodial arts" variety. stupid stuff like this happens all too often on these forums.

the plain truth is that there are a lot of delusional people in florida who are so blinded by palm trees and beaches, they have no concept of reality, so please excuse those of us who embrace the negatives. we prefer to have the whole story, not just the sugar-coated, white-sanded part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,518,458 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
the plain truth is that there are a lot of delusional people in florida who are so blinded by palm trees and beaches, they have no concept of reality, so please excuse those of us who embrace the negatives. we prefer to have the whole story, not just the sugar-coated, white-sanded part.
VERY nice post !

The sad part is... Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas all have palm trees, beaches, and similar weather (although NC gets more snow) but all of the above have better quality of life than Florida does. People that try to be truthful are deemed a "hater" and people try to do whatever they can to demean and trash that persons credibility. It's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Virgin Islands
594 posts, read 1,243,629 times
Reputation: 586
We might be a tourist state but those jobs don't pay, point blank we need new industry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Me too. And after the BP disaster I DON'T EVER WANT FLORIDA TO ALLOW OFFSHORE DRILLING!!!! I can't believe you would suggest that TXRyan. Florida is a tourism state, it's what it does best and quite frankly we have been just about breaking records this year. Economy here is really good because of it. My city (Sarasota) almost looks like it's booming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
 
15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Reputation: 18385
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
We might be a tourist state but those jobs don't pay, point blank we need new industry.
Plenty of industry here without tearing up our natural resources which is what makes us a destination. That would be sheer idiocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,518,458 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Plenty of industry here without tearing up our natural resources which is what makes us a destination. That would be sheer idiocy.
What industry ? those 12 fortune 500 companies scattered throughout the state ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top