U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 PM

258 posts, read 530,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Florida lovers just cannot see that others do not feel the same way they do about this state.
As a born and reared Floridian, and former resident of Los Angeles. I lived in the Valley for almost 8 years in the 1990s. I came back to Florida mid 90s. I had no choice, as my job options out west were extremely challenging. I was not degreed, no blood family, and had a very hard time working the 9-5 job. After so many years trying to make a decent life out there, I finally hit a wall, a breakdown if you will. After that, I saw Florida, my former home, and possible future home, if my life in L.A. went downhill, and it did.

I've visited L.A. three times since leaving. Each visit I saw the San Fernando Valley worse. Traffic seems much more congested, a lot of people now out there, maybe over-population, a lot of immigrants from the middle east, they don’t even like English, and they bumped in to me at Starbucks never to say ‘ excuse me ‘ or ‘ pardon me ‘. And rude people in general seems exponentially higher today than ever before, in the Valley. Back in the late 1980s, when I first arrived on the scene, many native Valley people said I came to L.A. at the very end of an era. And I was lucky to experience L.A. back in the late 80s. I met a lot of local Valley born people, mostly white, white collar types. Sons and daughters of parents who worked for Hughes, the GM Plant in Van Nuys, etc. All but two left L.A. after the Northridge quake and riots. Many moved to the Bay Area - None ever returned back to SoCal.

After my last visit, about 2 years ago. I saw things I did not like. I remember driving on the 101 from Van Nuys to Calabasas, arriving at my Hotel, I was visibly shaking and my hands were sweaty, my breathing irregular.

If you have a great, secured, high paying job there, and you have family for support, and you have no desires to travel abroad or even extensively in the U.S., then California can be a good place to drop anchor. If I were to move back to California ... I would look at the Coachella Valley, like La Quinta or North SD County or Ojai ... or maybe the Central Coast. I hear Paso Robles is really nice.

For me, Florida is cheaper, I have family here, and I enjoy traveling abroad. Life is slower, and that allows me time to relax and see life slower, enjoying more the time, as it passes slowly.

There is good and bad everywhere ….

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 01-07-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM

778 posts, read 1,461,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
What industry ? those 12 fortune 500 companies scattered throughout the state ?
Well at least the state of Florida is ahead of Colorado..what a relief

I wonder how many know what metro area is number two in the country behind NYC?

Fortune 500 2009: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,522,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Well at least the state of Florida is ahead of Colorado..what a relief

I wonder how many know what metro area is number two in the country behind NYC?

Fortune 500 2009: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
Makes sense.

Nice Post !

Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,592,757 times
While Houston and Dallas are definitely big time F500 companies, the stat is a bit misleading for other cities b/c of Houston's massive city limits. I.E. Bay Area, Chicago, Boston, DC have significantly more than listed, as does NYC.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,957,591 times
Quote:
Blah Blah Blah, useless narrative, blah blah

Florida lovers just cannot see that others do not feel the same way they do about this state.
Many that live here understand that others come here or are born here and realize it is not the perfect fit for them.
Many that post here just get tired of hearing the same old stereotypes and stories about how bad everything is when we know it is not as bad as the posts try to portray.
Yes, the economy is in bad shape just as it is in many states, yes there are some problems just like all states.
It just seems that some, like you, post stories of all these people you know that want to leave Florida and how much better it is where ever else they were. It just seems strange to me that a person could hear so many of these stories in a state that is continually growing in population.
I am not saying that some people don't want to leave but it seems that so many posters that are not happy with Florida seem to post that EVERYONE THEY KNOW has left or wants to leave.
It just seems to be a stretching of the truth or only telling the side they want everyone reading to believe.
Those of us that like living in Florida surely see that others may feel differently than we do, that doesn't mean we aren't going to counter posts that are riddled with inaccuracies or just giving one side of the story.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,941,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Many that live here understand that others come here or are born here and realize it is not the perfect fit for them.
Many that post here just get tired of hearing the same old stereotypes and stories about how bad everything is when we know it is not as bad as the posts try to portray.
Yes, the economy is in bad shape just as it is in many states, yes there are some problems just like all states.
It just seems that some, like you, post stories of all these people you know that want to leave Florida and how much better it is where ever else they were. It just seems strange to me that a person could hear so many of these stories in a state that is continually growing in population.
I am not saying that some people don't want to leave but it seems that so many posters that are not happy with Florida seem to post that EVERYONE THEY KNOW has left or wants to leave.
It just seems to be a stretching of the truth or only telling the side they want everyone reading to believe.
Those of us that like living in Florida surely see that others may feel differently than we do, that doesn't mean we aren't going to counter posts that are riddled with inaccuracies or just giving one side of the story.
I wish this even-handed post could be a stickie at the top of the page.
I really do think Florida is a wacky state in some ways (though not all of them bad). We have had our ups and downs here, but we arrived 6 years ago and have no plans to leave yet.
Many states have patterns of migration and years of booms and busts. We left Colorado in part because it was beginning to feel too crowded, but one person's 'good riddance' can be another person's land of milk and honey.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
Life is too short to be thinking about if " I can survive living in Florida"
There could be nothing to keep me in a place that I can't stand.
Nothing is worth living an unhappy life.

Quote:

I worked with man who was born, raised in Florida, and moved to California as a Pre-teen. His parents were native Floridians who moved back when they retired. After his father passed and his mother became disabled, he came back to care for her.

All he talked about was moving back to California. His younger brother stayed in Ca. with his family. I cannot tell you how many times he compared Ca. to Florida from weather to beaches, etc. He used to lament all the time that as the oldest son he had to come back to Florida. He tried to convince his mother to move in with him in Ca. but she would not go. Although he said he loved his Mom, he said as soon as she passed that he was going to sell her house and go back to Califorinia.

I have seen this in my own family with my daughter's father-in-law. His parents retired to Naples. When he father died, his Mom wanted to stay in Florida, but her son wouldn't hear of it. When she could no longer take care of her self and had to go into a nursing home, son got her to sell the house in Florida, and go back North near him and her grandkids in a nursing home. He said NOBODY wanted that house in Naples. So now 10 years later, she is near her son and grandkids all the time. If I can survive living in Florida, some day that will be my story too. My children have already said they do not want a house in Florida, so it will have to be sold too.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
So screw it, I'll leave them here and start my own life in CA, or Arizona possibly (I'll be checking out Phoenix this March, already got my ticket).
Desert Scene -

Where you live now?

Wow, you really dislike FLORIDA.

Best of luck out west ...

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,305,749 times
I live in St. Petersburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Desert Scene -

Where you live now?

Wow, you really dislike FLORIDA.

Best of luck out west ...
Thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 PM

No wonder you're not happy. You live in a sh*thole for heaven sakes. St. Peteeeeeeeeeeee? Holy bejesus. Before destroying your life, and the Kalifornia machine will surely chew you up and spit you lout like a delicious fried chitlin eaten by big black man in Alabama. Have you gievn any thought about New Orleans, Detroit or Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or