U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,618,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Hey my brother just moved to LA 6 months ago.. Cause u know FLa is boring and all that jazz. He's 22 btw. He said he's never seen so much trash and homeless or traffic in his life . He said la is best seen from the highway while driving past. Oh and he said good luck finding anyone who speaks a lick of English said there are wU more Hispanics and Latinos there than Miami plus the gangs. He rents a COUCH in someone's home for $700 a month so he doesn't have to dish out 1200 for a studio apt in a non gang ridden part of LA..in Orlando he had a 4 bedroom apt for 1000 a month near boardwalk Disney.. So have fun in LA be sure to send a post card!
You brother misses home because he lived near some kind of faux city-suburb created by the Disney company?

If that is his idea of an exciting life than he'll be miserable in any large city.

I've visited Orlando. I'd be miserable living anywhere in Orlando. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I've visited L.A. three times since leaving. Each visit I saw the San Fernando Valley worse. Traffic seems much more congested, a lot of people now out there, maybe over-population, a lot of immigrants from the middle east, they don’t even like English, and they bumped in to me at Starbucks never to say ‘ excuse me ‘ or ‘ pardon me ‘. And rude people in general seems exponentially higher today than ever before, in the Valley. Back in the late 1980s, when I first arrived on the scene, many native Valley people said I came to L.A. at the very end of an era. And I was lucky to experience L.A. back in the late 80s. I met a lot of local Valley born people, mostly white, white collar types. Sons and daughters of parents who worked for Hughes, the GM Plant in Van Nuys, etc. All but two left L.A. after the Northridge quake and riots. Many moved to the Bay Area - None ever returned back to SoCal.

After my last visit, about 2 years ago. I saw things I did not like. I remember driving on the 101 from Van Nuys to Calabasas, arriving at my Hotel, I was visibly shaking and my hands were sweaty, my breathing irregular.
Just want to correct the above post by the irreverent Mr. Kurtz:

1. Langauge: Los Angeles does have a wide variety of immigrant cultures. You will hear Spanish, Farsi, Chinese, Korean....but ENGLISH is WIDELY spoken and English is the BUSINESS langauge used by all groups in LA.

2. Rudeness: I've got a co-worker who moved from So.Fla and his comment is how much MORE POLITE people are in LA as compared to So.Fla (Ft.Lauderdale/Boca/Miami), esp. the drivers.

3. Traffic: No argument. Traffic is worse in LA than when Kurtz was here in the early 1990's. And traffic is WORSE in LA than So.Fla. But you can mitigate this somewhat by living near work. Get an education and you'll have flexibitliy with where you can live and work.

4. Air Quality and Crime: Both have vastly IMPROVED in LA since the ealry 1990's. The homicide rate in LA is LOWER than most of Fla's big cities: Tampa, Miami, etc. Air qualitiy is better in Fla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
For me, Florida is cheaper, I have family here, and I enjoy traveling abroad. Life is slower, and that allows me time to relax and see life slower, enjoying more the time, as it passes slowly.

There is good and bad everywhere ….
I agree with this last quote: Cost of living is cheaper in Fla, there is less traffic, slower pace of life, etc. and all these factors probably result in a lower stress level overall. There is good and bad everyhwere.

The OP said he is intersted in accounting. Get a degree in accounting and you can get a job just about anywhere. You won't get rich but you'll be employable which is not a bad thing is the f&*d up economy.

Last edited by SalParadise; 01-27-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Miami has WAY more non-english speaking latino immigrants than Los Angeles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Los Angeles County has about 46% Hispanic population of which about 20% does not speak english well or at all which would be around 912,000.

Miami-Dade County has about 61% Hispanic population of which about 27.5% do not speak english well or at all which would be around 450,000

Seems you are WAY wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Did you not read the figures in your own post?

LA County: 912,000 non-english speaking Latinos
Miami-Dade: 450,000 non-english speaking Latinos

Not sure where you got the % of the Latino/Hispanic population that does not speak English? But the numbers (i.e. "proportion") still favors LA over Miami (more English proficiency).
I most certainly did read the numbers in my own post, I also read the post I was responding to which stated there were "way MORE non english speaking latinos...".

more - in greater quantity, amount, or number

I edited your post to reflect the numbers you should have been looking at in my post based on what I was responding to.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I most certainly did read the numbers in my own post, I also read the post I was responding to which stated there were "way MORE non english speaking latinos...".

more - in greater quantity, amount, or number

I edited your post to reflect the numbers you should have been looking at in my post based on what I was responding to.
Yes, Mike I understood where you were coming from.

Still I think you understand the basic math involved: sheer numbers are a mirage. It's the proportion or percentage of the population that tells the real story.

-City A has 1,000 murders per year but its population is 1 million.

-City B has 100 murders per year but its population is only 1,000.

City A is safer by a LARGE MARGIN......regardelss of the total numbers involved.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, Mike I understood where you were coming from.

Still I think you understand the basic math involved: sheer numbers are a mirage. It's the proportion or percentage of the population that tells the real story.

-City A has 1,000 murders per year but its population is 1 million.

-City B has 100 murders per year but its population is only 1,000.

City A is safer by a LARGE MARGIN......regardelss of the total numbers involved.
I understand that completely but if someone wants to talk non-English speaking we really need to include all non-English speakers and the west coast certainly has a much higher percentage than any other area if we don't just limit it to Latino.

The poster I replied to was responding to someone stating about Los Angeles, "good luck finding anyone who speaks a lick of English".
The responding poster then narrowed his response to non-English speaking Latinos to make his/her comparison as it fit his/her argument.

Los Angeles Metro has a higher percentage of people that do not speak English than the Miami metro area.

Los Angeles and Harris and Fort Bend counties in Texas are areas that statistically have had the highest percentage of linguistically isolated households over the last 20 years or so.

Regarding safer areas, you also posted that Tampa had a higher homicide rate than Los Angeles.
The rate in Los Angeles Metro is 5.3 per 100,000 and Tampa Metro is 4.3 per 100,000, 2010 numbers as 2011 are still preliminary numbers according to FBI UCR data.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I understand that completely but if someone wants to talk non-English speaking we really need to include all non-English speakers and the west coast certainly has a much higher percentage than any other area if we don't just limit it to Latino.

The poster I replied to was responding to someone stating about Los Angeles, "good luck finding anyone who speaks a lick of English".
The responding poster then narrowed his response to non-English speaking Latinos to make his/her comparison as it fit his/her argument.

Los Angeles Metro has a higher percentage of people that do not speak English than the Miami metro area.
Miami has a larger percentage of foreign born residents than Los Angeles. And anyone who has visited or lived in Miami will tell you that Spanish is more dominant in Miami than Los Angeles. There is a wider vareity of languages heard in Los Angeles but the fact that no one group dominates the landscape means English remains the dominant force in daily life.

Quote:
Regarding safer areas, you also posted that Tampa had a higher homicide rate than Los Angeles.
The rate in Los Angeles Metro is 5.3 per 100,000 and Tampa Metro is 4.3 per 100,000, 2010 numbers as 2011 are still preliminary numbers according to FBI UCR data.
You are correct about the metro area figures.

I was referring to city-level figures for 2010.

Los Angeles: 7.6 muders per 100,000
Tampa: 7.8 muders per 100,000
Jacksonville: 9.7 murders per 100,000
Miami: 15.4 murders per 100,000

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Miami has a larger percentage of foreign born residents than Los Angeles. And anyone who has visited or lived in Miami will tell you that Spanish is more dominant in Miami than Los Angeles. There is a wider vareity of languages heard in Los Angeles but the fact that no one group dominates the landscape means English remains the dominant force in daily life.

You are correct about the metro area figures.

I was referring to city-level figures for 2010.

Los Angeles: 7.6 muders per 100,000
Tampa: 7.8 muders per 100,000
Jacksonville: 9.7 murders per 100,000
Miami: 15.4 murders per 100,000
I lived in Davie but worked in Miami and English remained the dominant language I used in my dealing everyday. Of course if you are in certain areas like Hialeah or Calle Ocho there is going to be a much higher percentage of people speaking Spanish just like there will be in certain areas of L.A.

And using city level figures for most areas of Florida does not give a true picture since most cities since city limits are generally small and most of the population outside the limits in unincorporated areas. The city limits of Tampa also include most of the worst areas as is shown by your 7.8 rate to my 4.3 rate for the metro area, a 3.5 drop in rate.
Leaving the city of L.A. you go from a 7.6 to a 5.3, a 2.3 drop in rate.
That shows me the crime is a little more spread out in L.A., something I would rather not have.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,011,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Are there any others like me that were either born in Florida or spent the bulk of their lives here, and are just totally sick of this place? And what really gives you a feeling of frustration and loneliness is watching those around you just rave about what an unbelievable paradise this is, like it's a surreal dream for them. They get to wear flip-flops in December they say! Look, I've been dressing like a bum here for nearly 40 years now. It would be nice to dress up in some grown up clothes now and then. I've got my fill of seeing rednecks wearing tank tops and sandals. People here are in honeymoon phase and I'm well passed that. My neighbor says to me yesterday, "isn't this just unbelievable weather?". Yeah lady, that's why that big window AC you see up there is running. Sorry but a 68 degree dewpoint isn't what I'd call perfect. And what's with the obsession with water? Their solution to beating the heat is always to submerge in water. Yeah I'll just put my client on hold so I can go in the pool. Only problem is once you get out of the water you're sweating again. Maybe we'll just conduct business in the pool with waterproof tablets. I've had enough water to last me a lifetime. My parents bought a house in St. Petersburg in the 70's and our recreation was based around the pool, boating, and fishing. Then we moved to Boca Raton in the late 80's. My grandmother had a top floor condo right on A1A overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We just kept a copy of the keys and used the place anytime we wanted. Those are great memories but I'm beyond all that now. Now I know you also have the natives that love it here and wouldn't live any place else. I honestly don't know how somebody could look at a swamp their entire lives and be in awe. I think they just stick around so that they can boast that they were born here. I'm so ready for a change, I think I'm going to book a flight to Arizona in the next couple of days. Any other long time Floridian's that feel like me?
Arizona? I think a more reasonable foil for Florida would be the State of Washington. Arizona?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Come on down here to Sarasota, Kyle, it's loaded with organic and "foodie" options! One of the many things that make it so great to live here. We lived in Lakeland for a couple years, and like where you are, virtually NO foodie options, not even Super Target. Makes a big difference for me regarding quality of life.
The downtown market has loads of organics, etc. on Weds and Sat. and there is a SuperTarget out by the Polk Pkwy, across from the Town Center......

My only regret about food options in Polk County is that we don't have more SE Asian cruisine. The best rest. of that type closed up for not paying their sales tax. I have been in SE Asia and this local restuarants Pad Thai was the best or at least as good as any I have ever had.......
I am not big on Mexican food but we are supposed to have some of the best around the area....

And, as far as I am concerned, when I want southern/soul food cooking I just haul off to Fred's Southern Kitchen. He does it the best.....the vegetables and meat and cornbread, anyway.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,297,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Arizona? I think a more reasonable foil for Florida would be the State of Washington. Arizona?
The Pacific Northwest is alright, I've spent some time in Vancouver. I'd still pick that area over Florida. But one of my biggest criteria is that I need to be near LA. Phoenix might be a viable alternative. Obviously it's much cheaper and would still put me within a day's drive to LA. But I haven't been there so I don't know what to expect. I read that Phoenix has a vibe similar to LA. I booked a ticket for March to go there so I guess I'll see. But if I find it has a backwards cowboy feel to it and everybody is walking around with their guns proudly displayed, well that won't work for me either and it's back to plan A, Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or