U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 AM

2,932 posts, read 3,995,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
The Pacific Northwest is alright, I've spent some time in Vancouver. I'd still pick that area over Florida. But one of my biggest criteria is that I need to be near LA. Phoenix might be a viable alternative. Obviously it's much cheaper and would still put me within a day's drive to LA. But I haven't been there so I don't know what to expect. I read that Phoenix has a vibe similar to LA. I booked a ticket for March to go there so I guess I'll see. But if I find it has a backwards cowboy feel to it and everybody is walking around with their guns proudly displayed, well that won't work for me either and it's back to plan A, Los Angeles.
I'd have to say if you're tired of Florida, and find Phoenix or LA as an alternative, it's a case of wanderlust. Nothing wrong with that. Go for it and get it out of your system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM

778 posts, read 1,456,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Miami has a larger percentage of foreign born residents than Los Angeles. And anyone who has visited or lived in Miami will tell you that Spanish is more dominant in Miami than Los Angeles. There is a wider vareity of languages heard in Los Angeles but the fact that no one group dominates the landscape means English remains the dominant force in daily life.
As someone who lived in Miami a couple of years and has been to LA close to a dozen times I would agree.. LA has so many drivers from the entertainment industry to it's direct link to Asia. The Mexican population there does not have anywhere near the economic clout of the mixed Latino population in Miami. Miami turning into sort of the Hong Kong for central and South America perhaps? I have also been quite impressed with the professionalism whenever I have had business dealings with anyone from SoCal

Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM

6,860 posts, read 6,942,389 times
GA is Beautiful, But I Miss Florida

We lived in SE FL for 12 yrs. and then moved to north Georgia. It's beautiful here in GA--very treesy, hilly in our area, nice climate (except for cold spells in Jan. & Feb. and infrequent small snowfalls). The North Georgia mountains are 40 min away and there are many waterfalls and hiking paths. The Chattahoochee River runs through the mountains and on through the Atlanta area nearest to me. You can float on a raft down the river from Helen, GA. I can take a hike 10 minutes away minutes from my house and look out over the river from a deck built for that purpose.

Yes, it's beautiful here in GA, especially in the spring and fall. And we have lots of "landscape"--I can't even ride my bike in my subdivision because it's too hilly. Not even kids ride bikes here. But almost everyone speaks English.

However, we STILL miss FL, after 8 yrs. gone. We miss the palm trees swaying in the breeze. We miss going to the beach any weekend we want. We miss the pool in our backyard. We miss eating outdoors most every night on our lanai. We miss South Beach and Las Olas Blvd. and the good restaurants and fun things to do. We miss the tropical foliage. When we go to the botanical garden here in ATL, which is beautiful, the tropical enclosure has all the plants we had in our yard in FL. I miss taking a pleasant walk any day of the year. Sure some days were humid, but that's better than having to wear a hat, scarf and gloves to walk. We even miss the wacky things that happened there in FL--like hanging chad, etc. Sure there were bugs, mosquitos and snakes--all of which we have in GA. I haven't seen any alligators here. Guess there may be some in So. GA. But I have found worm snakes in my yard and came within 1 foot of a black racer when I was hiking in Providence Canyon. Both non-venomous.

Every state has it's nice points. The U.S. has such a variety of topography and climate. Enjoy it all. Possibly many people tire of their area and long for something different. Not a thing wrong with that. Maybe it's time for a change for them. If we all lived in one state, it'd be plenty crowded!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM

772 posts, read 1,622,717 times
Florida Rocks!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM

93 posts, read 166,544 times
I have to pitch in here with my two cents. We recently moved from Plano, TX, a suburb of Dallas, to St. Pete, FL. Needless to say, we are moving back as fast as we can (which is soon). I am a native Floridian, born and raised, but I left during college. My husband and I thought we'd return to be near family. It hasn't worked out, unfortunately. While the NATURAL scenery is gorgeous, the home prices and wages and schools are not. We came from a 2300 square foot brick home in one of the best public school districts in the nation with one of the lowest crime rates and highest household income averages in the nation. We miss the economic vibrancy, the white collar professionalism, and the beauty of the city and surrounding cities in DFW. Our mistake. We love FL and plan to visit, but we won't be calling it home. To those who say you can find a nice home at a decent price, you CAN, but you have to drive waaay out, or compromise school quality, or safety, or square footage, or any combination of the above, at least in Tampa Bay, as compared to DFW. Trust me, we've spent a year searching here. We lived 20 minutes from Dallas, a huge and vibrant city that is a tech and medical hub, in a suburban city that, again, has exemplary schools all set within a very safe, beautiful, and vibrant suburban city that by itself has 250,000 people. And Plano is only one of MANY similar suburban cities of Dallas with these characteristics to choose from. This is not to mention the cost of living, which is higher here in FL. Services are just plain more expensive here in FL. The networking and economic opportunity we ran into left and right in TX is just not here, at least for us. Before I left Plano in 2011, we felt pretty insulated from the national economic downturn, and you actually wondered where all of this was happening. Now I know. I know that sounds harsh, but I'm being honest. What TX lacks in scenery it makes up for in many, many other ways. But to those who love living in FL, I say wonderful. To each his own path toward happiness, and to each his own perspective.

Last edited by TempNest; 05-24-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 17,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
OH TELL ME ABOUT IT!! I've been living here for the majority of my life and I have decided I am officially leaving next year. I'm starting my life over on the west coast as well because I am so sick sick of Florida. Let me tell you what I'm sick about. The hellishly hot n' humid summers. I moved back to Florida after living in Texas for 5 years and wow I couldn't believe what I had got myself into. I almost died this summer. This year I said NO MORE. That was the last straw.

Then the insects. I can't tell you how much I HATE snakes. I fear them so much sometimes I got paranoid thinking they were inside the house. I remember in Texas I had sort of had a panic attack after watching some video on youtube about a snake. I started thinking what if they were under my couch and I freaked out. That's when I remembered I didn't live in Florida and had to calm myself down. I said thank God I don't live there. That's when knew I could never grow old in Florida. I can't stand snakes, roaches, alligators, mosquitoes, & the other critters. I hate them with a passion. And unfortunately, Florida is a swamp and houses ALL of them and more.

Then there's the landscape. Texas isn't much different than Florida regarding landscape but the west coast areas like California is VERY different compared to here. I don't have a problem with Florida's landscape because I appreciate different types of landscapes because I feel like they all have their own unique beauty. But I am simply tired of the flat nothingness. Where I lived in San Antonio, you could see rolling hills for miles! I loved it. I just imagined what California's were like. Then I looked up videos and was amazed with all the west. Again, I don't have a problem with Florida's landscape but I want to see something new.

Then there's the people. Not all Florida people are bad. I've met ALOT of good people with good hearts here in Florida. But the majority are in some self-absorbed world. Very materialistic. I admit, southern California is not much different but at least you don't have to deal with all the negatives above plus the people.

Then there's the quality of life issues. Most Floridians have NO idea what a real quality of life is. Being someone who has moved around many times, I know what is out there. Florida ain't it. I don't want to brag but we lived pretty damn good in Texas in almost every way more than we ever could have afforded to in Florida. Not only that but the people are amazing nice and chill than Florida folk (my lifelong friends are all Texans), southern hospitality is alive and well, no humidity, & no nasty insects. Life is so different over there compared to here it's crazy! Even the sunshine and the clouds are different!

The only reason I left and came back to Florida is because I had to finish school. It was a better situation here than in Texas. But come May, I'm gonna start working and saving up and haul ass to the west after summer. I'm ready for new things and new sights. I don't hate Florida. I love my home. It's just I know what lies out there and what kind of life I want to live. And it's not here. I just cannot take the cons anymore because they outweigh the good for me. I decided that I'm going to start my life over in the west and establish roots there.

YES! I feel you!!!
I know I am NOT meant to be here. Unfortunately, Florida is known to pay very lowwages and has a high cost of living.. so to save any money to move out of state is not an easy thing. I only have my Associate's and my husband is going back to school for engineering, so perhaps when he graduates we can work on our dream of finding cooler weather, hills and nicer people! (the funny part lies in the fact that he is going for engineering... and the space coast where we live is known for that type of work.. lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or