Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I talked to my dad in Orlando for the first time in ages the other day at Christmas and he said Florida is like a 3rd world country now. He says the poverty is unreal and that almost all the worthwhile people are leaving the state. He also plans to move to Texas sometime next year..
It's not. They're not. Good for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

31 posts, read 49,657 times
[/quote]
I talked to my dad in Orlando for the first time in ages the other day at Christmas and he said Florida is like a 3rd world country now. He says the poverty is unreal and that almost all the worthwhile people are leaving the state. He also plans to move to Texas sometime next year..

However, I'm hopeful to one day be able to move back to Tennessee because that's where I really consider "home."[/quote]

Lol

A 3rd world country with the highest debt rating given by the S&P. Here are a few other entities that share that rating with Florida

United Kingdom
France
Germany
Guernsey
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Swiss Confederation

Old 12-29-2011, 06:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
FL is not even close to being third world (though some small areas could be considered third world like).

People who compare FL, or the US, to a third world country obviously has never lived in a third world country; or they love to dramatize things; or they live in a third world status and assume the majority of everyone else does; or they just like to cry about things.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
But the Houston waterfront is mostly heavy industrialized. Huge rusty cargo ships, big industrial plants, etc. Then there is green smog/pollution that comes from the industries.

Also...didn't you post that it was 118 degrees with 80 percent humidity in Houston this past summer? That is way hotter than Florida ever gets.

I bet the Tex/Mex food in Houston is pretty darn good. That's probably something worth bragging about.

Bottom line, every city/state has pros and cons. Each person has to weigh which of them are most important. jobs, weather, scenic beauty, mountains, oceans, "the arts", cost of living, activities, crime, things to do, schools, demographics, etc.

As folks get older, their needs change. For example, jobs and schools will be less important for retirees, cost of living might be more important for folks buying their first home, schools will be important for young families, lack of snow becomes more important as folks deal with big snowstorms year after year and finally get sick of it, hot summers might be too much for some folks, etc.

How lucky are we in the USA that we are free to choose where we want to live and most places are pretty darn nice!!!
You're right. Everyone has their preferences and likes and dislikes.

Houston's ship channel may be polluted and Baytown may be covered in fumes from the refineries, but those fumes, ships, and little bits of pollution = jobs.

You can't have it both ways, You can't have nice beaches and pristine wildlife AND have jobs and industry. It doesn't work like that.

Oh, and yes, July, August, and September are sometimes unGodly...

but the rest of the year is beautiful

Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL biz View Post
A 3rd world country with the highest debt rating given by the S&P. Here are a few other entities that share that rating with Florida
The S&P gave Florida a debt rating ?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
FL is not even close to being third world (though some small areas could be considered third world like).

People who compare FL, or the US, to a third world country obviously has never lived in a third world country; or they love to dramatize things; or they live in a third world status and assume the majority of everyone else does; or they just like to cry about things.
I dunno.. I've been to Miami alot in my life (never lived there) and it's pretty bad compared to cities I've lived in (Tampa, Orlando, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Antonio, and Houston.) My father, however.. was in the Army in the 70's and 80's and he's been deployed to many countries in his lifetime. I think he'd know what he's talking about. Atleast, I'd take his word over many others and not just because of blood but because I know what he's seen. He's been to countries in Africa, the Middle East, Korea, and Europe. If he says Miami is 3rd world, I tend to believe him. No offense. Texas also has its 3rd world like cities but they're all border towns and not a 5 million + population.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I think he'd know what he's talking about.
Apparently not.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Apparently not.
That's your opinion.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,692 times
I though you were a Miccosukee Indian Native tired of the swamps!!!!
But no, you are tired of a seafront condo at Boca.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I though you were a Miccosukee Indian Native tired of the swamps!!!!
But no, you are tired of a seafront condo at Boca.
You gotta love those seafront Boca swamps, right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida