Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,156,211 times

Advertisements

Florida just can't seem to find another job base besides retired people and tourists. I wish we would become the Nursing/Medical factory of the world. Even if the graduates don't stay here, we should push to become the number one producing of medical industry graduates with the highest standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Florida just can't seem to find another job base besides retired people and tourists. I wish we would become the Nursing/Medical factory of the world. Even if the graduates don't stay here, we should push to become the number one producing of medical industry graduates with the highest standards.
Without going political (not my intent)..

Florida needs to allow off-shore drilling. Florida needs to grant fortune 500 companies tax breaks and land price breaks to relocate their companies to make it attractive. Florida is already not attractive from a logistics standpoint as it costs more to ship and takes more time to ship to the West Coast. Having insane prices for land doesn't help.

Depending on tourism dollars is a bad idea because no one has any money anymore outside of the 1% and seniors are now considering places like Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas to retire to now. I don't dislike Florida as it's my native home and I would LOVE to move home. However, I can't do that until they get sustainable jobs. I'm not a doctor, lawyer, nurse, or engineer so I can't sustain a normal, comfortable life until they do.

Newsflash for Florida, the Chinese are already drilling in the Gulf off the coast of Florida, They're doing so just inside of International Waters..

Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
I'll take nice beaches, pristine wildlife and other advantages of Florida any day over polluted, fumes, refineries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You're right. Everyone has their preferences and likes and dislikes.

Houston's ship channel may be polluted and Baytown may be covered in fumes from the refineries, but those fumes, ships, and little bits of pollution = jobs.

You can't have it both ways, You can't have nice beaches and pristine wildlife AND have jobs and industry. It doesn't work like that.

Oh, and yes, July, August, and September are sometimes unGodly...

but the rest of the year is beautiful

Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I'll take nice beaches, pristine wildlife and other advantages of Florida any day over polluted, fumes, refineries.
Me too. And after the BP disaster I DON'T EVER WANT FLORIDA TO ALLOW OFFSHORE DRILLING!!!! I can't believe you would suggest that TXRyan. Florida is a tourism state, it's what it does best and quite frankly we have been just about breaking records this year. Economy here is really good because of it. My city (Sarasota) almost looks like it's booming.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'll fix that for you...

Quote:
I'll take nice beaches, pristine wildlife and other advantages of Florida any day over jobs, increased tax revenues that lead to better schools and education, and decreased poverty for my fellow Floridians.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:54 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'll fix that for you...

Rep points for your "editing".

Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Me too. And after the BP disaster I DON'T EVER WANT FLORIDA TO ALLOW OFFSHORE DRILLING!!!! I can't believe you would suggest that TXRyan. Florida is a tourism state, it's what it does best and quite frankly we have been just about breaking records this year. Economy here is really good because of it. My city (Sarasota) almost looks like it's booming.
Isn't that, in itself, sad ?

The corporate companies in the North that own all the hotel chains are making money, All the fast food chains from other states are making money, all the grocery stores (outside of WinnDixie, Publix, and Sweetbay) are out of state and making money..

In the mean time, They also employ people at minimum wage whom stay under the poverty line and in most cases are on public assistance that drain the state of tax dollars.

The last time I came home to the Bay Area, I stayed at the Holiday Inn (based in Atlanta, GA) I ate at Texas Roadhouse (Illinois) and shopped at Walmart (Arkansas). I guess you're assuming the sales tax I paid (.07 on the dollar still ?) was a huge gain to the states economy but don't you feel that residents of Florida, the Natives, even the transplants should have decent jobs at decent wages ?

There are SO MANY natives that have been forced to leave their homes because it's not sustainable for the average Joe to live a good life. Do you not think that's sad ?

Wrong thing with Florida # 34859294: People place wildlife and nature over the well being of their fellow man and woman.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,358,289 times
I have to agree about trying to get Fortune 500 companies to move some operations to Florida. But the clean office type jobs such as corporate and regional HQ, R & D, technology and such. There already are some Fortune 500 companies in the state that have operations here, or that are based in FL. And there are some very good paying white collar jobs already. But we do need more of them.

No way for drilling off the Florida coasts.

It would be great to get some hotel chains to move their HQ to Florida. And some big name technology firms.

Ryan, if you would have visited Outback Steakhouse, or Olive Garden or Red Lobster, you would have visited a chain that has their corporate HQ offices based in FL (Tampa and Orlando, respectively).

Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
No way for drilling off the Florida coasts.
It's already happening. Other countries (with less regulations) are reaping the benefits.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ryan, if you would have visited Outback Steakhouse, or Olive Garden or Red Lobster, you would have visited a chain that has their corporate HQ offices based in FL (Tampa and Orlando, respectively).
I try not to eat at chains if I can help it but Roadhouse is the best !

Plus, for me.. I find local seafood places in FL, LA, and TX to be much better than Red Lobster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida