Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times

Advertisements

What does all this have to do with natives leaving Florida? And yeah who cares about chain places, the local places are usually much better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
What does all this have to do with natives leaving Florida? And yeah who cares about chain places, the local places are usually much better
Were reasons not wanted or did the OP just want people to say Yay or Nay ?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Were reasons not wanted or did the OP just want people to say Yay or Nay ?
Reasons sure but I got lost with the graphs and talk about offshore drilling

Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Ryan is saying that locals are leaving FL because of no jobs. There were discussions about lack of Fortune 500 companies that are based in FL...as those big guys can provide lots of jobs in their HQ offices. Ryan gave samples of places he visited in FL and where their HQ are based(not FL)...though FL DOES have some Fortune 500 companies based in the state.

Those can be some decent jobs. These jobs might keep some folks in the state...and one reason many folks leave...is for better job opportunities elsewhere.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Reasons sure but I got lost with the graphs and talk about offshore drilling
It's not too hard to keep up..

Natives leave because there are no opportunities to succeed. There are no opportunities to succeed because there are no jobs, and the ones there are, pay too little.

Drilling for oil, giving tax breaks to large companies to get them to relocate to Florida, ect, ect, bring in not just jobs, but well paying jobs. When well paying jobs are made available, poverty goes away and people start living good lives.

The current system in Florida is seriously outdated and needs to be made modern. Gone are the 1980's and 1990's where tourism dollars and low paying jobs were good enough to get by. People have to make a living wage now and unless you're a medical or law professional, You can't do that in Florida.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ryan is saying that locals are leaving FL because of no jobs. There were discussions about lack of Fortune 500 companies that are based in FL...as those big guys can provide lots of jobs in their HQ offices. Ryan gave samples of places he visited in FL and where their HQ are based(not FL)...though FL DOES have some Fortune 500 companies based in the state.

Those can be some decent jobs. These jobs might keep some folks in the state...and one reason many folks leave...is for better job opportunities elsewhere.
Thank you.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Don't take offense to someones opinion Kyle. That's all it is, right ?

Third world country entails a land a foreign languages full of poverty due to a lack of jobs because the State never attempted to obtain corporations and instead opted to base their entire economy on tourism. When the country has financial issues, the first thing cut is vacations.

There was a story in the Orlando Sentinel about two weeks ago detailing how Orlando has one of the largest homeless populations in the United States and how the county was too worried about building the Magic a new arena to actually pay attention.

My fathers house was valued at $216,000 in 2007, today its value is $80,400.

Yes, Texas has issues with illegal immigration just like every state. However, the difference is, We have jobs and our economy is strong. Our state decided tourism would take a back burner and they decided to load our state with fortune 500 companies and industry. So yeah, We have and drill for oil and our beaches may have brown sand, But we have jobs and a diverse economy. So while you're unemployed and living on government assistance and looking at your pristine beaches, remember that.
Ya know it's a damn shame when you post something unpopular to the natives & have to battle your way thru a thread defending your opinion. I see you've already encountered thing 1, and it's just a matter of time before thing 2 will show up, but it's ok though cause I admire a poster such as you who stands their ground and doesn't allow those cheerleaders to bully them & chase them off. You're entitled to your opinion whether it's pro or con, fact or fiction. Sometimes comments made smack some onto their behinds & they can't handle it, they'd rather continue floating down the sea of denial. But keep on doing you. I got nothing but love for ya babe.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM

That's true, there is a good chart here -- Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FL is #38 for adjusted cost of living with average household income, and has some of the highest unemployment rates in the country

Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Ya know it's a damn shame when you post something unpopular to the natives & have to battle your way thru a thread defending your opinion. I see you've already encountered thing 1, and it's just a matter of time before thing 2 will show up, but it's ok though cause I admire a poster such as you who stands their ground and doesn't allow those cheerleaders to bully them & chase them off. You're entitled to your opinion whether it's pro or con, fact or fiction. Sometimes comments made smack some onto their behinds & they can't handle it, they'd rather continue floating down the sea of denial. But keep on doing you. I got nothing but love for ya babe.
I appreciate the support.

I've been around City-Data for awhile and the Florida forum and know how the "cheerleaders" work. Luckily for me, I was born and raised (for 18 years) in Florida and still have family there. I know how it is. Rah-Rah won't change my opinion. I've lived through the bad economy, bad jobs, high cost of living, ect, ect, that Florida has to offer. I've relocated to other states and then moved back to Florida and it's always the same.

I'll move back again someday but it won't be until the state can better sustain itself and not depend on money and pensions from the North.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
That's true, there is a good chart here -- Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FL is #38 for adjusted cost of living with average household income, and has some of the highest unemployment rates in the country
Isn't it sad that a state with a population like Florida is 38/50 in income ?

At the same time, being 27th in cost of living ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida