Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,740,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Are there any others like me that were either born in Florida or spent the bulk of their lives here, and are just totally sick of this place? And what really gives you a feeling of frustration and loneliness is watching those around you just rave about what an unbelievable paradise this is, like it's a surreal dream for them. They get to wear flip-flops in December they say! Look, I've been dressing like a bum here for nearly 40 years now. It would be nice to dress up in some grown up clothes now and then. I've got my fill of seeing rednecks wearing tank tops and sandals. People here are in honeymoon phase and I'm well passed that. My neighbor says to me yesterday, "isn't this just unbelievable weather?". Yeah lady, that's why that big window AC you see up there is running. Sorry but a 68 degree dewpoint isn't what I'd call perfect. And what's with the obsession with water? Their solution to beating the heat is always to submerge in water. Yeah I'll just put my client on hold so I can go in the pool. Only problem is once you get out of the water you're sweating again. Maybe we'll just conduct business in the pool with waterproof tablets. I've had enough water to last me a lifetime. My parents bought a house in St. Petersburg in the 70's and our recreation was based around the pool, boating, and fishing. Then we moved to Boca Raton in the late 80's. My grandmother had a top floor condo right on A1A overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We just kept a copy of the keys and used the place anytime we wanted. Those are great memories but I'm beyond all that now. Now I know you also have the natives that love it here and wouldn't live any place else. I honestly don't know how somebody could look at a swamp their entire lives and be in awe. I think they just stick around so that they can boast that they were born here. I'm so ready for a change, I think I'm going to book a flight to Arizona in the next couple of days. Any other long time Floridian's that feel like me?
... So, leave already! --- Nobody is forcing you to live on a Florida beach or anywhere else. (Of course, not everyone hates living on the beach! --- We've done so for many years ... and still love it!)

But, don't be surprised if in a short time, you find yourself really fed-up with the "new" place. --- Or complaining that things are different than the 'good old days in Florida!' (Is the purpose of this thread to get a crowd to agree ... or even to go with you?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 PM

511 posts, read 488,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Greune Hall is great, I haven't been out that way in a year !
TWO TON TUESDAYS every summer!!!!!!!
Yeeeeee Haaaaaawwww!!!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Mike, none of the "facts" I posted were wrong. You posted numbers that skew reality. Okay, Maybe 6.7% of Floridians make minimum wage, How about adding in the number of Florida workers that are unemployed and making LESS than minimum wage ?

Skew reality? I posted the true numbers while you posted what you made up in your head. You can add in the same for Texans making less than minimum wage and unemployed.

Why not talk about about the unemployment rate in Florida at 10% while it's at 8% in Texas ?

This has to be the most ridiculous argument going around. "My bad unemployment rate is not as bad as your bad unemployment rate."
So 10 out of every 100 in Florida are unemployed while 8 out of every 100 in Texas are unemployed. That is just a huge difference.

Why not talk about the cost of living?

Tampa metro to Houston Metro, almost the same, .09% different.
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Why not talk about the percentages of high school graduates to drop outs ?

Until there is a uniform way that each state counts, it would not be an accurate measure.

How about college tuition rates ?

Pretty sure Texas is higher by about $1000 a year overall cost.

Insurances ? About $26.75 a month higher on on average for home owners and auto. Isn't that figured in the cost of living though. Should I start picking out the lower cost items in Florida?
Gas prices ? See above

Number of Fortune 500 Companies that reside in each state and employ people to higher paying jobs ?

The median wage is about a $2000 difference, it doesn't matter if there were 499 Fortune 500 companies in Texas and 1 in Florida if it means the median income is $2000 different, if we are talking $12K-$15K a year more OK. And one thing to keep in mind there. Florida has a higher average wage per hour than Texas, you know what that means? It means the divide between the haves and the have nots is greater, just putting the median a little higher. Guess Texas leads in somethings, as we know those earning minimum wage is where Texas really excels.

You can't skew any of those numbers, Mike.

Please, go look them up and post a rebuttle.
How about I post a rebuttal instead.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Skew reality? I posted the true numbers while you posted what you made up in your head. You can add in the same for Texans making less than minimum wage and unemployed.

I didn't make up anything in my head. It's easy for you to pull up that number when a large section of people in Florida aren't even looking for work and are collecting unemployment checks. Compare pre-recession numbers.

This has to be the most ridiculous argument going around. "My bad unemployment rate is not as bad as your bad unemployment rate."
So 10 out of every 100 in Florida are unemployed while 8 out of every 100 in Texas are unemployed. That is just a huge difference.

When talking about 20-25 million people, yeah, those 2 out of every hundred make a HUGE difference. It still doesn't add in the underemployed or those not even seeking work around Florida.

Tampa metro to Houston Metro, almost the same, .09% different.
Cost of Living comparison calculator

We're not comparing Tampa Metro (3 million) to the Houston Metro (6 million), We're comparing Texas to Florida.

Cost of Living 3rd Quarter 2011

Texas is 4th cheapest, Florida is 27th cheapest.

Until there is a uniform way that each state counts, it would not be an accurate measure.

I suppose that's because Florida only graduates around 50% of their high school students ?

How about college tuition rates ?

Pretty sure Texas is higher by about $1000 a year overall cost.

Actually, Miami is on par with Rice, Texas is on par with UF, and A&M is on par with FSU, to compare the 6..

Insurances ? About $26.75 a month higher on on average for home owners and auto. Isn't that figured in the cost of living though. Should I start picking out the lower cost items in Florida?
Gas prices ? See above

You can try, but you won't find any. How much are you paying for gas down there right now ? I just paid $2.95.

Oh, and homeowners is WAY more expensive in Florida than in Texas. Very little of the state in coastal.

The median wage is about a $2000 difference, it doesn't matter if there were 499 Fortune 500 companies in Texas and 1 in Florida if it means the median income is $2000 different, if we are talking $12K-$15K a year more OK. And one thing to keep in mind there. Florida has a higher average wage per hour than Texas, you know what that means? It means the divide between the haves and the have nots is greater, just putting the median a little higher. Guess Texas leads in somethings, as we know those earning minimum wage is where Texas really excels.

Yeah, and Florida leads in unemployment claims, what's your point ? Would you rather sit back and collect a hand out or would you rather get to work ?

For what it's worth, the $2,000 a year saved in salary, the cheaper taxes, cheaper cost of living, cheaper insurance, cheaper gas, groceries, ect, ect adds up.

Oh, and good job at catching my misspelling, the typical reply from someone like you.

FWIW, I can do this all night if you'd like.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
I didn't make up anything in my head. It's easy for you to pull up that number when a large section of people in Florida aren't even looking for work and are collecting unemployment checks. Compare pre-recession numbers.

Pre-recession numbers, like in 2005 through 2007 when Florida's unemployment rate was 3.3%-4.3% and Texas was 4.3%-5.7%?

When talking about 20-25 million people, yeah, those 2 out of every hundred make a HUGE difference. It still doesn't add in the underemployed or those not even seeking work around Florida.

So pre-recession, 2005-2007, Florida had about 280K-370K out of work and Texas had about 490K-630K out of work. You can't decide to pick a time period to look at and then change it for your next set of numbers so I kept it pre-recession. Per capita Texas had many more out of work.

We're not comparing Tampa Metro (3 million) to the Houston Metro (6 million), We're comparing Texas to Florida.

Houston and Tampa are probably 2 of the most similar metro's in each state and no one lives in a whole state so how do you compare an entire state? Do you take in to account the 1000's of square miles of prairies and the Everglades and factor how much it costs to live in a trailer in one of those places. Of course this brings the COL down for Texas since they have much more of that type of living area. You have already said that Florida has much more coastal area and with that comes high end living, of course that will bring the COL average up.

I suppose that's because Florida only graduates around 50% of their high school students ?

No, it is for the exact reason I said. Because each state uses a different method to count the numbers and doesn't give an accurate picture. But since you insist. Here is an independent study.
http://www.edweek.org/media/v30-34an...lechart-c3.pdf Figuring in for population, Texas has a higher % of non-graduates by far, almost damn near as many as California and Cali has 12 Mil more in population.

Actually, Miami is on par with Rice, Texas$20,732 in state total cost is on par with UF $15,526 in state total cost, and A&M$17,961 in state total cost is on par with FSU$16,297 in state total cost, to compare the 6..

Guess I was wrong, Texas on average would be more than $1000 a year for state universities. These figures were from Kiplinger, per year. I didn't use private university numbers since those can be all over the place

You can try, but you won't find any. How much are you paying for gas down there right now ? I just paid $2.95.

I paid $2.75 a gallon last time I filled up, the supermarket here offers bonus rewards which take cost off gas at Shell. Before you say anything, that all figures into the cost of living.

Oh, and homeowners is WAY more expensive in Florida than in Texas. Very little of the state in coastal.

Average Cost of Car Insurance | Average Insurance Costs | CompuQuotes.com As I stated, about $26.75 a month more for home and auto together. Hardly way more expensive.

Yeah, and Florida leads in unemployment claims, what's your point ? Would you rather sit back and collect a hand out or would you rather get to work ?

Florida is getting back to work and Texas is also but in Texas the chances of getting back to work and getting paid minimum wage is much higher.

For what it's worth, the $2,000 a year saved in salary, the cheaper taxes, cheaper cost of living, cheaper insurance, cheaper gas, groceries, ect, ect adds up.

For what it's worth, when you figure cost of living all those things are already figured in. You don't keep adding them up. You don't keep adding them in again and again. As I posted, the Tampa metro and the Houston metro which are very similar the COL is .09% different.

Oh, and good job at catching my misspelling, the typical reply from someone like you.

FWIW, I can do this all night if you'd like.
You go ahead and do it all night and all day, I will just come back when it suits me and post then.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
I wouldn't live in Texas if it was free. Texas stinks.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,000,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
... So, leave already! ---
I can't yet. It sucks but I have about 12 more classes to complete at USF before I get my degree. Not only that, I had this guy put braces on my teeth. I tell you, it's not so cute to be wearing these things in your late 30's. He makes these periodic adjustments so I'd like to let him complete my ortho treatment.

I should have both accomplished within two more years. Then I'm heading to Los Angeles, that's where the second half of my life begins.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM

258 posts, read 612,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Then I'm heading to Los Angeles, that's where the second half of my life begins.
Good riddance.

If you think L.A. beats any large city in Florida. Then you need your head and A** examined.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out

Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,163,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I wouldn't live in Texas if it was free. Texas stinks.
What does it smell like ? Cabbage ? Paper mills ? People don't shower ?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,194,715 times
Haters gonna hate! Texas doesn't have the beaches, but destroys everything else about Floriduh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida