U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,302,209 times

Advertisements

Are there any others like me that were either born in Florida or spent the bulk of their lives here, and are just totally sick of this place? And what really gives you a feeling of frustration and loneliness is watching those around you just rave about what an unbelievable paradise this is, like it's a surreal dream for them. They get to wear flip-flops in December they say! Look, I've been dressing like a bum here for nearly 40 years now. It would be nice to dress up in some grown up clothes now and then. I've got my fill of seeing rednecks wearing tank tops and sandals. People here are in honeymoon phase and I'm well passed that. My neighbor says to me yesterday, "isn't this just unbelievable weather?". Yeah lady, that's why that big window AC you see up there is running. Sorry but a 68 degree dewpoint isn't what I'd call perfect. And what's with the obsession with water? Their solution to beating the heat is always to submerge in water. Yeah I'll just put my client on hold so I can go in the pool. Only problem is once you get out of the water you're sweating again. Maybe we'll just conduct business in the pool with waterproof tablets. I've had enough water to last me a lifetime. My parents bought a house in St. Petersburg in the 70's and our recreation was based around the pool, boating, and fishing. Then we moved to Boca Raton in the late 80's. My grandmother had a top floor condo right on A1A overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We just kept a copy of the keys and used the place anytime we wanted. Those are great memories but I'm beyond all that now. Now I know you also have the natives that love it here and wouldn't live any place else. I honestly don't know how somebody could look at a swamp their entire lives and be in awe. I think they just stick around so that they can boast that they were born here. I'm so ready for a change, I think I'm going to book a flight to Arizona in the next couple of days. Any other long time Floridian's that feel like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,711,927 times
Yeah, we can feel your pain. Growing up with a pool home in Boca with access to an ocean front condo must've been really tough.

Can't imagine anyone being happy looking all day, every day, at that big swamp that is the Atlantic Ocean.

Go find your paradise. Many others in this country would be happy to trade spots with you. Perhaps you can find a house swap or something similar on Craigslist.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM

15,207 posts, read 31,172,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, we can feel your pain. Growing up with a pool home in Boca with access to an ocean front condo must've been really tough.

Can't imagine anyone being happy looking all day, every day, at that big swamp that is the Atlantic Ocean.

Go find your paradise. Many others in this country would be happy to trade spots with you. Perhaps you can find a house swap or something similar on Craigslist.
Really - I agree with TriMT^^. Living an upscale lifestyle like that must have been horrific.

All I can say is I'm a native, born and raised and grew up quite poor, but feel lucky and wealthy to be able to live in such a desirable place. As Tri said, there are millions in the country who would willingly trade places with you.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times
I'd love to move back to FL.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,748,348 times
I'm a 4th generation "conch" of Key West and I do want to leave here (KW, not the state). If I were to relocate to another region of Florida, it'd be in the outer suburbs of Tampa, or Lakeland, Ocala or Tallahassee. I want to move somewhere that's hilly and gets cold in the wintertime. However, relocating to another state isn't out of the question for me. If I did, I would move to either Georgia, South Carolina or Tennessee or even to southern Alabama. I like woodsy, rural hilly places.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,179,529 times
Yes I feel the same as u. I was born in ny and live lived here 28 years. I too am over the pool, I never ever step foot on the beach and find the hot weather a drag . I was just in jax all week last week attending MAyo Clinic and what a dump of a city was too .. Was infested with either ghetto hood rats or red neck hillbillies. All I could think was yep, it's as gross here as it is down in southern fl. Florida as my husband says is Americas garbage can. It's where the other state sends all their rejects. I too miss a more sophisticated scene of a GOOd city . Not trash like Miami. Like u said most of those singing fla praises have been here less than 5 years, not all but most . We r well on our way to heading out in a year to a year and a half. It's the only right thing to do if u have a child and want any hope for their future

Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Goodness, cry a river.

The obsession with water here is no different than the obsession with mountains in Denver, poeple like to take part in what the enviroment around them has to offer. And what is dressing like a grown up? After work, am I suppose to keep my suit on? Change to a different color tie?

You think AZ is better? Summer comes and you will see people "not dressing like grown ups", and many like to interact with the environment like here in FL. People in AZ fish, boat, and swim all the same.

You sound like some spoiled person that cannot seem to find your happy corner in life, then want to criticize people who are actually enjoying things that are around them.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM

57 posts, read 105,282 times
Well, I agree with Comsense, I would love to move back to Florida. My husband was a Florida native, and the reason that I moved to Florida (from Pgh. PA) when I was in my 30's. After I moved to Florida to be with my future husband (Ft. Lauderdale area) I did meet Florida natives who wanted to move away because Florida had changed since they were kids, which I believe was quite true. The quality of life has changed there because there are just too many people there now. Eventually, my husband wanted to retire to a place where there are woods in the backyard. We now live in N. E. Georgia. I, however, miss the warm/hot humid climate, the beautiful blue skies, and the ocean. If you love those things, you love Florida, no matter what else is going on there!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,963,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Are there any others like me that were either born in Florida or spent the bulk of their lives here, and are just totally sick of this place? And what really gives you a feeling of frustration and loneliness is watching those around you just rave about what an unbelievable paradise this is, like it's a surreal dream for them. They get to wear flip-flops in December they say! Look, I've been dressing like a bum here for nearly 40 years now. It would be nice to dress up in some grown up clothes now and then. I've got my fill of seeing rednecks wearing tank tops and sandals. People here are in honeymoon phase and I'm well passed that. My neighbor says to me yesterday, "isn't this just unbelievable weather?". Yeah lady, that's why that big window AC you see up there is running. Sorry but a 68 degree dewpoint isn't what I'd call perfect. And what's with the obsession with water? Their solution to beating the heat is always to submerge in water. Yeah I'll just put my client on hold so I can go in the pool. Only problem is once you get out of the water you're sweating again. Maybe we'll just conduct business in the pool with waterproof tablets. I've had enough water to last me a lifetime. My parents bought a house in St. Petersburg in the 70's and our recreation was based around the pool, boating, and fishing. Then we moved to Boca Raton in the late 80's. My grandmother had a top floor condo right on A1A overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We just kept a copy of the keys and used the place anytime we wanted. Those are great memories but I'm beyond all that now. Now I know you also have the natives that love it here and wouldn't live any place else. I honestly don't know how somebody could look at a swamp their entire lives and be in awe. I think they just stick around so that they can boast that they were born here. I'm so ready for a change, I think I'm going to book a flight to Arizona in the next couple of days. Any other long time Floridian's that feel like me?
OH TELL ME ABOUT IT!! I've been living here for the majority of my life and I have decided I am officially leaving next year. I'm starting my life over on the west coast as well because I am so sick sick of Florida. Let me tell you what I'm sick about. The hellishly hot n' humid summers. I moved back to Florida after living in Texas for 5 years and wow I couldn't believe what I had got myself into. I almost died this summer. This year I said NO MORE. That was the last straw.

Then the insects. I can't tell you how much I HATE snakes. I fear them so much sometimes I got paranoid thinking they were inside the house. I remember in Texas I had sort of had a panic attack after watching some video on youtube about a snake. I started thinking what if they were under my couch and I freaked out. That's when I remembered I didn't live in Florida and had to calm myself down. I said thank God I don't live there. That's when knew I could never grow old in Florida. I can't stand snakes, roaches, alligators, mosquitoes, & the other critters. I hate them with a passion. And unfortunately, Florida is a swamp and houses ALL of them and more.

Then there's the landscape. Texas isn't much different than Florida regarding landscape but the west coast areas like California is VERY different compared to here. I don't have a problem with Florida's landscape because I appreciate different types of landscapes because I feel like they all have their own unique beauty. But I am simply tired of the flat nothingness. Where I lived in San Antonio, you could see rolling hills for miles! I loved it. I just imagined what California's were like. Then I looked up videos and was amazed with all the west. Again, I don't have a problem with Florida's landscape but I want to see something new.

Then there's the people. Not all Florida people are bad. I've met ALOT of good people with good hearts here in Florida. But the majority are in some self-absorbed world. Very materialistic. I admit, southern California is not much different but at least you don't have to deal with all the negatives above plus the people.

Then there's the quality of life issues. Most Floridians have NO idea what a real quality of life is. Being someone who has moved around many times, I know what is out there. Florida ain't it. I don't want to brag but we lived pretty damn good in Texas in almost every way more than we ever could have afforded to in Florida. Not only that but the people are amazing nice and chill than Florida folk (my lifelong friends are all Texans), southern hospitality is alive and well, no humidity, & no nasty insects. Life is so different over there compared to here it's crazy! Even the sunshine and the clouds are different!

The only reason I left and came back to Florida is because I had to finish school. It was a better situation here than in Texas. But come May, I'm gonna start working and saving up and haul ass to the west after summer. I'm ready for new things and new sights. I don't hate Florida. I love my home. It's just I know what lies out there and what kind of life I want to live. And it's not here. I just cannot take the cons anymore because they outweigh the good for me. I decided that I'm going to start my life over in the west and establish roots there.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
Well, I agree with Comsense, I would love to move back to Florida. My husband was a Florida native, and the reason that I moved to Florida (from Pgh. PA) when I was in my 30's. After I moved to Florida to be with my future husband (Ft. Lauderdale area) I did meet Florida natives who wanted to move away because Florida had changed since they were kids, which I believe was quite true. The quality of life has changed there because there are just too many people there now. Eventually, my husband wanted to retire to a place where there are woods in the backyard. We now live in N. E. Georgia. I, however, miss the warm/hot humid climate, the beautiful blue skies, and the ocean. If you love those things, you love Florida, no matter what else is going on there!

So you want to move back but your husband doesn't? What are you going to do? Is there any compromising going on, or are you going to stay in GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or