U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 PM

672 posts, read 687,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
what part of L.I.? I used to live in Westbury for some time. Yeah man, it takes a lot of adjusting. I don't want to knock Florida because one mans trash is another mans treasure. It definitely isn't my thing and I am currently sending out resumes to NYC and have been doing so since September. I hope I hear from someone soon, I want to leave this place before 2008 reaches.
Smithtown in Suffolk. Good luck with your job search. My daughter just graduated college in June and is now living in Queens and teaching in the Bronx.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:06 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,340,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
READ the entire post before commenting, it states clearly "huge majority".

I base my opinion on knowledge of people who I know both personally and professionally, both economically and happiness.

If you read back alittle what most of us were commenting on is those who post so much about the negatives shouldnt be sitting on a computer and whining about its Florida fault they are unhappy there, its their own fault.
I suggest you read the entire thread so you will understand what the topic is about instead of reading one post.
You have the right to your opinion, but need to understand what "huge majority" means.
I do not know one single person myself who tells me otherwise, in fact the message from everyone I know is they are happier in Florida and if you are willing to give the effort, work hard and obtain skills you will have no problems doing well in Florida.
The best way to find out is to come on down and see. Right now alot of people that have worked hard and have incredible skills are not doing well. I base my opinion on knowledge of what has changed economically and the fact I have been here to see it. It seems I can't be the only person to tell you otherwise, but Ohio is a long way from Florida.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,254,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
The best way to find out is to come on down and see. Right now alot of people that have worked hard and have incredible skills are not doing well. I base my opinion on knowledge of what has changed economically and the fact I have been here to see it. It seems I can't be the only person to tell you otherwise, but Ohio is a long way from Florida.
I am in Florida all the time, usually 4-6 days per month for business and 4 weeks for vacation in Florida.
With family and friends, many very good friends who I have worked with for more then 27 years have retired to Florida and I stay in contact with them all the time.
I know there are some people who seem to not be able to do enough and do work hard, but the idea of this post is to allow people to understand if you are not happy in Florida and or struggling in Florida, it's not Florida's fault.

Ohio is long way that is for sure, I am coming down next weekend for a 5 day quick getaway long weekend.
We have had our heat on the last 5 nights in a row and I am in dire need of some warm ocean breezes.
I do allot of business in Florida and DW had her own business for many years and did business herself in Florida, we seen some of the changes, but it is nothing different then any other state. If anything her business went down in the midwestern states by a ton more then any other section of the US and she sold in every state. Her top selling states were California, Texas and Florida by a long shot over any other state.
I sell antiques on ebay and it is not even close who buys most of the items I list, Florida by an overwhelming amount.
So someone is not struggling, there is just too much business happening there to blame the state for anyones woes.
So why hate Florida?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,340,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I am in Florida all the time, usually 4-6 days per month for business and 4 weeks for vacation in Florida.
With family and friends, many very good friends who I have worked with for more then 27 years have retired to Florida and I stay in contact with them all the time.
I know there are some people who seem to not be able to do enough and do work hard, but the idea of this post is to allow people to understand if you are not happy in Florida and or struggling in Florida, it's not Florida's fault.

Ohio is long way that is for sure, I am coming down next weekend for a 5 day quick getaway long weekend.
We have had our heat on the last 5 nights in a row and I am in dire need of some warm ocean breezes.
I do allot of business in Florida and DW had her own business for many years and did business herself in Florida, we seen some of the changes, but it is nothing different then any other state. If anything her business went down in the midwestern states by a ton more then any other section of the US and she sold in every state. Her top selling states were California, Texas and Florida by a long shot over any other state.
I sell antiques on ebay and it is not even close who buys most of the items I list, Florida by an overwhelming amount.
So someone is not struggling, there is just too much business happening there to blame the state for anyones woes.
So why hate Florida?
I'm far from struggling, But alot of people are and its not looking good. some areas are holding fine but for the most part this year fuel will be a big factor. I have been here all my life and have seen the people that have moved here in the last few years struggling. Alot of people are unemployed and small businesses are closing.With the high unemployment numbers comes the crime. We have had bad times before but this is real bad. I try not to paint a rosey picture but post the facts.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,254,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I'm far from struggling, But alot of people are and its not looking good. some areas are holding fine but for the most part this year fuel will be a big factor. I have been here all my life and have seen the people that have moved here in the last few years struggling. Alot of people are unemployed and small businesses are closing.With the high unemployment numbers comes the crime. We have had bad times before but this is real bad. I try not to paint a rosey picture but post the facts.
I understand.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Smithtown in Suffolk.
If I lived in that area I would never even think about leaving. Except that the people there aren't very nice. OK, maybe I would.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:08 AM

51 posts, read 127,663 times
Good Morning HockeyMom72,

Bet that was really exciting. What a rush.

My son was pleased with the professionalism that they showed along with explaining everything that was going to be expected of him. They were very much interested in what he had to offer. They actually had respect in my son long enough to listen to what he had to say and get a feel of what he really knew. He never got THAT in Naples, Florida. I'm happy for him and hope that all of the guys and gals in all computer fields get treated the way my son was. This is the kind of thing that makes a good sound employee and all the more reason to exceed in the love of their lives computer tech New Mexico has the schools for branching out in so many computer areas.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM

75 posts, read 448,569 times
For all you complainers read these 2 links.. And read the comments below on the 2nd one as well. Sounds familiar hah?????? Look what states they are fleeing to..

wcbstv.com - Poll Finds Many Hoping To Leave New Jersey Behind (http://wcbstv.com/local/people.leaving.jersey.2.375879.html - broken link)

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM

For all the people who use to live in NJ/NY it's now same ish different toilet... Maybe worse then Florida..

"When lost income and sales taxes from the people who left New Jersey are considered, the population drain is estimated to have cost the state $680 million in tax revenue last year, the report found.

The latest poll found 28 percent of people wanting to leave citing America's highest property taxes as the leading reason; 19 percent mentioned the state's generally high cost-of-living, with 6 percent citing housing costs and 5 percent citing state taxes.

Other top reasons for wanting to leave New Jersey include the weather, environment, longing for a change of scenery, overdevelopment, congestion and government corruption.

Half of those wanting to leave want to move to the Southeast, with Florida and North Carolina the most popular choices, the poll found.

"Many say that the most pressing issues in New Jersey will not change unless the public takes a stand," Murray said. "Well, it appears that the public has decided to vote with their feet."

Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Atleast you have world class fishing, some of the nicest beaches, awsome weather during the winter, all types of Outdoors, tropical scenery ect.. While your miserable trying to stay a float....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or