Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,158,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I wonder who is doing most of the buying. Do you think that there are a lot of investors buying, again?
Maybe, I don't know, I would say people who need homes and are not afraid to make an offer. I hate to say it and I don't want to insult anyone, but contrary to popular belief, not everybody is poor. People need a place to live and as long as they are happy with the deal, that's all that counts. Let's face it, people buy Hummers for like $50,000 that will be worth nothing in a few years without buyers remorse. Many people are decision makers and if they like what they are doing, they go forward. Many others wouldn't know a good deal if you dropped it on their head.

People crack me up sometimes with their lack of confidence in their own ability to make a decision. A guy called me a couple of years ago about a place going out of business who had some phenolic rod for sale. We took a ride over there and they had like 3500 feet of the stuff and it was nice. I get all excited about it, but the guy with me buys 20 feet, thats it. I thought we were maybe going to split it or something. I bought it all for $3.00 a foot. My friend knew what a steal this was but couldn't put his hand in his pocket. Doesn't he have any confidence in his own knowledge? I got on the phone and after keeping a hundred feet for myself, had the rest sold for $5.00 a foot in like a couple of days. I made over $5000.00 off the stuff in a few days after my expenses.

There were a couple of others guys there buying 10 feet, 20 feet, knowing what a good deal it was. Are people that afraid to make money? Do they have so little confidence in their own abilities? Bringing me back to the housing thing, I am sorry to say, half the people I read on here want a house for nothing, it ain't happening.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,301,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
TO:Tarastomsgirl

you are so right...i moved down here(south florida) over a year ago...it really sucks.... and i really regret it...i'm kind of scared to move back because i think i would be a failure......anyway the economy sucks,,,illegal aliens suck,,,,living conditions suck,,, i'm really struggling down here financially....it's real bad....i honestly have to say...if you are going to move down here...you better have some money or work in hospitality industry or construction...
All your points are true to some degree. I think you have to have a certain mentality to live and settle in South Florida. I am from NYC originally and I have grown to hate everything about this place, but I know others from the city who absolutely love it here. I graduate in December and I hope to move back to NYC, we shall see what happens.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 11,822 times
You know....I have lived on the east coast of fl. for 12 years from the Chicago area, and when asked about how I like it, I have mixed opinions. I tell them that the longer I live here the less I like it. Of course, when people tell me they love Fl., I have to assume that they have only been there for vacation. Mostly true. Its a whole different mindset when people are vacationing. Your enjoying the sun, surf,dining etc. Generally going places that people cater to tourists. Who wouldnt love it? Now in the real world, owning business's, dealing with local governments, living amongst such a vast array of ethnic individuals and cultures can be difficult at best. Being a business owner for 15 years(5 of which in the midwest), you come across alot of different individuals. Coming from the midwest, everyone, for the most part, pretty much had the same friendly attitude. We left doors unlocked, keys in cars and trusted our nieghbors. Whithin the first month of moving to Fl., my two bicycles got stolen, my car stereo was stolen, twice, and this was a nice nieghborhood. Still, I gave it a chance. I love the weather and the beach. I figured that I could block out the bad(the rude and inconsiderate people) and enjoy all the good Fl. has to offer. Its getting harder every day. I always hear people and friends say the cant wait to "get out of Fl." Its really a love/hate relationship.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:11 PM

672 posts, read 896,397 times
Default Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
All your points are true to some degree. I think you have to have a certain mentality to live and settle in South Florida. I am from NYC originally and I have grown to hate everything about this place, but I know others from the city who absolutely love it here. I graduate in December and I hope to move back to NYC, we shall see what happens.
I grew up in Manhattan and lived for 20 year on LI. I will never get used to South Florida. At most, I will be able to tolerate it here, for a time. I detest the summer, shorts, beaches, etc. If all those are not your cup of tea, you will not like the Florida lifestyle. Nice place to visit, etc.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I grew up in Manhattan and lived for 20 year on LI. I will never get used to South Florida. At most, I will be able to tolerate it here, for a time. I detest the summer, shorts, beaches, etc. If all those are not your cup of tea, you will not like the Florida lifestyle. Nice place to visit, etc.
what part of L.I.? I used to live in Westbury for some time. Yeah man, it takes a lot of adjusting. I don't want to knock Florida because one mans trash is another mans treasure. It definitely isn't my thing and I am currently sending out resumes to NYC and have been doing so since September. I hope I hear from someone soon, I want to leave this place before 2008 reaches.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Great post! I couldn't agree more! There are more than enough job/ career opportunities in Florida, there are schools, colleges, universities all over the place, etc. It's not the states job to make your life comfortable for you, that's your job! Get off of your lazy a** and do something to better your life! I mean, if I was that freaking miserable, I would either move out of the state or get off of my damn computer and better my life! I absolutely love Florida! I have visited most of the states and I have lived in NC for a few months. I moved back to Florida after only living in NC for less than 6 months. To me, no state compares to Florida. Again, every single state has positives and negatives, NO state is perfect! I think that the cost of living has gone up quite a bit just about everywhere, it's not just in Florida. All of these people that whine and complain about Florida seem like they are just all around miserable people! I know if I felt the way some of these people do, I sure as hell wouldn't spend all of my time on the computer b****ing about my life or where I live. I would move or do something to better my life and then spend some time on the computer! lol! These people that complain about Florida sound like they wouldn't be happy anywhere. It is completely unrealistic to expect every thing to be perfect, or even close to perfect, and no matter what city or state you live in, life will never be perfect. I wish everyone that hated Florida so much would move out of my beautiful home state! There would be a lot less traffic for me to deal with! lol!
Thank you for agreeing.
I just cannot understand myself if I was so miserable and without a decent job I wouldnt be spending all my time typing on any board, I would be doing something to better my families life.
If you cannot make it in Florida, the "huge majority" of people are NOT GOING to make it anywhere else.
Look around, its the land of opportunity and beauty!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Thank you for agreeing.
I just cannot understand myself if I was so miserable and without a decent job I wouldnt be spending all my time typing on any board, I would be doing something to better my families life.
If you cannot make it in Florida, the "huge majority" of people are NOT GOING to make it anywhere else.
Look around, its the land of opportunity and beauty!
utterly untrue. My parents left florida for a more economical southern city and they are doing MUCH better. The same has been true for friends of mine who have moved to Atlanta and even some who moved back to NYC.

Florida is far from the land of milk and honey. It is good for some and bad for others.

As for beauty, I have seen far prettier places. Heck I prefer NYCs architecture or Nashville's land scape over Florida's wilderness any day of the week. Its all opinions and what one likes. You can never speak in definitive ways when it comes to things like this.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:15 PM

51 posts, read 142,686 times
Eleven Day To Be Exact...

That night was when my one son boarded a Grayhound bus for New Mexico. He didn't get on with rose colored glasses just his honest self. He told me that he wouldn't drop a dime more in Naples Fl. that he was leaving the cheapest way out, just exactly the way I was paid, (cheap). I heard from him today and he now bought a car and has a job that pays twice of what he gets here. Of course it's a (Non Right To Work State).

His Word Of Advice For Young Fellows In Florida.....

If an Employer when you are interviewed for a job, don't let you sign papers for a W-2 income tax form....Walk Away. It's part of the Bag Of Dirty Tricks. They want you cheap and sucker you with a 1099 without making it clear their intentions. You pay ALL the taxes on the monies you earn. They don't PAY workman's comp. paid vacation, health coverage nothing but their cheap wages.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
utterly untrue. My parents left florida for a more economical southern city and they are doing MUCH better. The same has been true for friends of mine who have moved to Atlanta and even some who moved back to NYC.

Florida is far from the land of milk and honey. It is good for some and bad for others.

As for beauty, I have seen far prettier places. Heck I prefer NYCs architecture or Nashville's land scape over Florida's wilderness any day of the week. Its all opinions and what one likes. You can never speak in definitive ways when it comes to things like this.

READ the entire post before commenting, it states clearly "huge majority".

I base my opinion on knowledge of people who I know both personally and professionally, both economically and happiness.

If you read back alittle what most of us were commenting on is those who post so much about the negatives shouldnt be sitting on a computer and whining about its Florida fault they are unhappy there, its their own fault.
I suggest you read the entire thread so you will understand what the topic is about instead of reading one post.
You have the right to your opinion, but need to understand what "huge majority" means.
I do not know one single person myself who tells me otherwise, in fact the message from everyone I know is they are happier in Florida and if you are willing to give the effort, work hard and obtain skills you will have no problems doing well in Florida.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM

672 posts, read 896,397 times
Default Interviewed on a Thursday afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karry View Post
Eleven Day To Be Exact...

That night was when my one son boarded a Grayhound bus for New Mexico. He didn't get on with rose colored glasses just his honest self. He told me that he wouldn't drop a dime more in Naples Fl. that he was leaving the cheapest way out, just exactly the way I was paid, (cheap). I heard from him today and he now bought a car and has a job that pays twice of what he gets here. Of course it's a (Non Right To Work State).

His Word Of Advice For Young Fellows In Florida.....

If an Employer when you are interviewed for a job, don't let you sign papers for a W-2 income tax form....Walk Away. It's part of the Bag Of Dirty Tricks. They want you cheap and sucker you with a 1099 without making it clear their intentions. You pay ALL the taxes on the monies you earn. They don't PAY workman's comp. paid vacation, health coverage nothing but their cheap wages.
Friday morning at 9 AM I was offered the job. Monday morning I went to orientation, signed all the paperwork, and was working Monday afternoon.

School district. It all happened so fast I didn't have time to blink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida