U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 AM

4,368 posts, read 5,877,937 times

Advertisements

Oh dear. So many exaggerations here.

To the OP, don't think that moving inland FL will be hurricane-proof. But do follow the above advice about making sure your structure is strong and secure. I know a few people who have moved to The Villages (I know you aren't moving there, but since it's in the vicinity) and love it. Personally, if I'm in FL, I'd much prefer to be on the Gulf coast near the gorgeous white-sand beaches, warm turquoise water and fabulous sunsets. Just brings me to a peaceful place.

And yes, FL can get cold occasionally, but methinks there's a bit of reverse psychology going on here. Yep, got it! ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Default with one exception.....

......being.crabby, complaining negative old folks, its a great area to live iin !!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM

2,932 posts, read 3,994,338 times
Forget all the back and forth nonsense. The only important thing mentioned is that you have to be sure of employment. The jobs that can be picked up easily will not pay your bills. If there were plentiful good paying jobs, Florida would collapse under the weight of northern immigrants.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
I am a retired Federal Employee currently living in Northern Virginia. I'm not rich but I was a CSRS employee so I have a generous pension for life. I am from San Antonio, TX. My kids are finally moving out so I am starting to look for a place to retire. I would love to go back there but am terribly allergic to mountain cedar. In addition, I have Sjogren's Syndrome so I can't relocate to a dry or windy area. I want to move to a state without state income tax. Florida appeals to me BUT I'm terrified of the big roaches and alligators and I really don't know much about the cities. I'm trying to find out if there are any places in Florida with lots of retirees, no big bugs, dog friendly, with access to quality medical care. Am I dreaming?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 AM

109 posts, read 115,315 times
I like the Lady Lake area. I do not think I would like living there but if I wanted inland that much it would make my list of look and see.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,780 times
I know that this thread is old so my comments are more to anyone else that stumbles upon this then to the original poster. We just moved our family to Lady Lake from up north. I have lived p north my whole life have 3 young children and just wanted a change. We have been here a few months now so I feel good about writing a review of sorts for those considering a move. When we were moving we did extensive online reading about the area, reading forums etc, and even google earthing the whole area as we were not able to come down before our actual move at all. I will start with the good, Lady Lake and its surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful. Full of Live oaks and Spanish moss. Palm trees, lakes, I can not say enough about how beautiful the landscape of central Florida is. We have driven hours out in every direction and it still hasn't gotten old to us. The majority of people we have interacted with have been very welcoming and friendly. Lady Lake is home to a small potion of "The Villages" which I read about but just didn't comprehend the extent of the villages before we got here. The public area's of The Villages have great shopping, restaurants, music in the squares, are well manicured and are nice to look at. Here is where my online research led me astray. The Villages has a zillion things to do. But aside from the shopping, eating, and music at the squares, the activities are only open to the villagers. Ok, not a big deal you think to yourself, we can find our own kind of fun right? Not exactly. Please keep in mnd that my review is for a family with small kids so please don't start yelling at me for my following comments. It seems to me that as the villages takes up so much of this and the surrounding area, that ALL of the area's resources are catered only to the retired crowd. One of the things I looked at extensivly was the library. We came from an area with great libraries so this was important to us. As you can see online, lady lake has a large beautiful library. My kids and I were very excited about it. We visited a couple of days after we got here and walked into a well lit, well stocked library. We walked around searching for the kids scetion for about 10 min. before asking someone who informed us that the kids section was actually outside and around the building. So we walked over there and into a poorly lit room with a few rows of books. The little kids section was pretty small and it was so depressing we haven't been back. There is a park in town, some of the equipment could stand to be cleaned and updated. And there is little league fields all right there. The town has an easter egg hunt that was a really good time. That is about the extent of the things for families and kids. There is a boy scout pack in town and all of the cub scout leaders are friendly. But if you are used to awesome library programs for kids of all ages, no luck. There is no community pool (other then in the villages, which we can't use) here, though there is one in fruitland park which is about a 2o min drive, Frutland park also has a slightly better library though there is nothing there to keep an active toddler engaged while the older kids are looking for books. Fruitland park also has a couple of nicer parks. And what seems to be a decent parks and rec department though I haven't gotten a chance to participate in any of their offerings yet. I have searched for dance classes, karate, gymnastics, etc. and all are pretty non existent unless I want to drive for an hour or more. South of Lady Lake is Leesburg, which honestly IMO is not very pretty to look at. I won't drive thought by myself. The south side, by the mall and college are alright but between there and Lady Lake in my opinion is a pretty dodgy area. So South of Leesburg about 30-40 min outside of Lady Lake is Tavarees which has a nice clean downtown area, a splash pad for the kids and a beautiful park. They also have a nice lake with a paved walking path along the whole downtown. And next Tavarees there is Mount Dora which has a beautiful downtown area as well. When our lease is up we plan to go south hopefully into Mt Dora. Anywho back to Lady Lake, if you are retired and moving to the Villages, I think that it will be an awesome place to live. It is a very strange thing to be the only 30 somthing in the store with children which happens often. We have even been told by churches "we cater mainly to retirees, a different church with childrens programs may be better suited for your needs". It is really a poor area for young families which is really sad as it is so beautiful here. I wish there were a balance of retirees and family services, but honestly some days I feel like I am the only person with kids in 30 miles. So to sum it up, I can see why retired folks move to the villages. It is beautiful here, and the villages have so much to do. But none of that is in lady lake for the general public to enjoy. There just, isn't anything to do here for families, at least that I have found. So if you are a younger family looking to relocate to the area, I would definatly go a little bit south into Tavares or Mt Dora (or even a little further if you can) where there are a few more amenities for families with children.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
I'm also thinking of moving to Florida, trying to get a transfer/promotion with my company and I just applied at a store in Lady Lake.

We live in N. Illinois where the winters are terrible, taxes are high and the cost of living is expensive.

Our kids are raised so the schools wouldn't be an issue. I'd like the idea of gardening year round, the warmer weather, being close enough to the beaches for a day trip of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or