U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times

Advertisements

I am born and raised in MN and decided last week I want to pack up and move to FL next month! I dont know any of the areas and I dont want to be in a neighborhood where its all illegals and my family is the only american family. What are some good areas? I have 3 small kids too.

Found some BEAUTIFUL homes in:
New Port
Inverness
Ocala
Brooksville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 AM

21,064 posts, read 30,075,028 times
I'm guessing you have the work situation figured out as the job market here is quite bad overall. The areas you mention have some inexpensive housing and of the group would most recommend North Port as it's more family-centric than the others you mention which tend to be more rural or retiree-oriented.

I would highly recommend checking out Palm Harbor, which is just north of Clearwater. It's very "American", as 86% of the population is Caucasian. You'll find many nice homes comparably priced I think to what you've found elsewhere (what is your budget?) and in a public school district that's among the best in the state. Palm Harbor has a lot of young families and is a very nice, fairly uncongested area convenient to Tampa/St Petersburg's entertainment options as well as within 20 minutes or so of the beautiful beaches.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,477,476 times
Houston, Texas... Florida-like but with jobs..

Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would highly recommend checking out Palm Harbor, which is just north of Clearwater. It's very "American", as 86% of the population is Caucasian.
So... Caucasian = American ?

Good to know...

Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 AM

[quote=avoight;22432925]I dont know any of the areas and I dont want to be in a neighborhood where its all illegals and my family is the only american family. [B]][/B]quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
So... Caucasian = American ?

Good to know...
The term "illegals" is bandied about by most "Mericans as a racial slur towards Hispanics...and yes in Palm Harbor, Florida the term Caucasian does most likely entail American versus Ukrainian or Finn. Pretty much like it would in Houston.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The term "illegals" is bandied about by most "Mericans as a racial slur towards Hispanics...and yes in Palm Harbor, Florida the term Caucasian does most likely entail American versus Ukrainian or Finn. Pretty much like it would in Houston.
Sorry Kyle, but here in Houston most of our Hispanic population are in fact legal. They were born in America and are Americans. Your posts have been kinda off before but this takes the cake.

In other words, OP.. If you too define American as "white" and you want to move to a community that Wikipedia has pegged at 92% white, 0.97% black, and 3% hispanic/latino.. than Palm Harbor is perfect for you !

If you want an all-white community, move to the northern parts of the state.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
The housing market is such that you can get a pretty good buy in a lot of locations. I prefer to be further south where it's warmer, and the chance of a freeze is next to zero. Unless you go as south or further than West Palm Beach on the East Coast or Ft. Myers on the West Coast you can have more nights of cold weather.

Cape Coral is an area you may want to check out. There are still some amazing buys to take advantage of and the city has over 400 miles of canals, saltwater and fresh. You can still get a nice home on water and pay a very low price. The area is also safe, and clean, and you won't have the ethnic worries you mentioned.

Cape Coral also abutts onto Ft. Myers and so between the 2 areas you have lots of amenities and shopping. You're also half an hour north of Naples. If you go any further south of Ft. Myers/ Cape Coral the prices start to rise quite substantially. The West coast is also more laid back and less ethnic than the East Coast - again - since you were concerned.

Check out some of the listings on realtor.com, and if you find something you like, I know a realtor who is fantastic. Extremely hard working and can get you want you're looking for.

Best of luck,

florida-keys-vacation.com

Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Sorry Kyle, but here in Houston most of our Hispanic population are in fact legal. They were born in America and are Americans. Your posts have been kinda off before but this takes the cake.

In other words, OP.. If you too define American as "white" and you want to move to a community that Wikipedia has pegged at 92% white, 0.97% black, and 3% hispanic/latino.. than Palm Harbor is perfect for you !

If you want an all-white community, move to the northern parts of the state.
Dude, your comprehension is off. I said most 'Mericans (that's a dig at those who have certain viewpoints) have that belief system and view of the world in terms of diversity. That's not a reflection of me and was an interpretation of what the OP was looking for. Look in the mirror before accusing someone's posts of being "off"...okay???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or