Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
Ken, this post was motivating and then I read your last post about being glad to be back in NH. I guess you did not like it after all. So it must not be a great place to live.
Its a great place to live. Just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Your doctor told you that you could lose your hands. That is motivating enough to want to make this work., I surely would not want to lose my hands. You must remember that more unhappy people who did not like it here will be posting than the happy ones. There are millions of happy satisfied people who live here and love it. If it were me, I would not want to lose my hands.

I encourage you to keep researching, especially since you have a fall-back plan. Perhaps you could rent here for awhile and see how it goes.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,628 times
Vtallison,

I'm not attempting to encourage, or discourage, however I do know where you are coming from, and where you wish to go.....as I own property in both States.....

Spend a little time on the I-95 or I-4 and then you will truly understand "death trap"....yes, I know the 89 can be a little rough...

it sounds like your relocation is contingent on securing employment and previous posters have explained that the Job market in Florida is less than ideal.....In fact, job searching in that area can be a down right, humbling experience !

Florida will always be there, but I sense you might grow to miss that 43.5 acres....

Either way, safe travels, and best of luck !

Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM

198 posts, read 464,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
https://www.employflorida.com/

Don't know if you have found this site yet. Might give you an idea. The site works by registering and then you pick up a slip at their office to contact employer for interview usually with a step up because you went through them.

Might be able to get around it by contacting company if it lists its name.

Thank you so much! I will research that link!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
If you think Route 89 is a death trap you will faint dead away when you get on Florida's roads. Look, Florida makes sense for a lot of people but I just don't see it in your case. The differences between the two states is enormous, especially what you are use to and what Florida is. Nothing wrong with either but this is going to be far more of a drastic change than you realize. Just the talk of factory work, planing, logging, asking for customer service jobs that will not pay what you want...And even the heat may be far more than what you expect. Probably, but that's another can of worms that we've been down a thousand times. But it is going to be far, far from what you are use to.

I'd suggest going down for a visit. Apply for some jobs from up in VT. See what happens. I'd start now. It will probably take that long. And then make sure you get real data from employers and get it in writing. But I think a visit and some phone calls will be a good start. Make sure to visit in the summer.

Look, we will all sleep well tonight. You asked questions and we gave you answers. You will do what you want to do. Most of us have been on here for a very long time and we've seen it all. Most people that ask these questions have already made their minds up, anyway.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
OP needs a warm climate for her physical problem.

Lots of warm states other than Florida.

Perhaps another warm state would be a better fit employment-wise.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OP needs a warm climate for her physical problem.

Lots of warm states other than Florida.

Perhaps another warm state would be a better fit employment-wise.
Exactly! As mentioned earlier Louisiana has the strongest economy right now with several major cities having unemployment rates below 7% which are pre-recession job numbers. The weather is also quite similar to most of Florida.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
What we are trying to tell you is Florida is a great place if you come here with realistic expectations. Don't let your desire to escape the cold-no matter how urgent-cloud your judgement.

The other thing no one here has directly mentioned is the work ethic. It is vastly different in FL than in the NE. The tourist and service industries-the vast majority of what is here-do not offer wages or stability that is common in the NE.

Read my posts in these links. While some of it doesn't directly apply to you, many have found these helpful:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...l#post12226054

http://www.city-data.com/forum/naple...l#post14807112

Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM

198 posts, read 464,153 times
Thank you RMD3819!
I am certainly not the type to run pell-nell to the nearest Uhaul and pack our stuff. I am a researcher at heart and I do alot of research before I buy anything! (Hubby thinks I get too carried away). But I know that I will be considering all aspects of this journey, if we choose to persue it. I have been looking at the job boards and so far I do see many opps out there, now I just have to see if they are really available. Since we own our home here we would obviously have to sell it in a downturned market. But it is a beautiful property and would appeal to 2nd home buyers from Big cities as well as local folks. If , and I do mean if, we were able to secure employment ( I would rather work from home as I am unemployed now and we do survive on one pretty small income right now), then we would see what we could buy outright there. We would still have no mortgage. I still have to research the electric rates since my electric bill now is $150 a month. My heat is propane at $200/month in the winter, my DSL is $74.95 a month, basic telephone is $25.00, Dish network is $75.00, Homeowners insurance is $1000 a year, just changed to Progressive for 2 cars and it is dirt cheap at $800 a year for full coverage. My property taxes are $2600 for a 3/2 on 43 acres with a pond. I pay state income tax. I do know the insurances will be higher and I will have to look into that and then make a spreadsheet to compare the
COL. I am not considering a move to save money. I do have relatives that live in Titusville and would want to be somewhat close by to them. I do know that if I am able to sell my property, I will be able to have a decent nest egg. We would still want to work and have alot of experience in many areas. We do not expect to make more that $10.00 per hour to start. We are thrifty people and do not jump into something until we have thought it through thoroughly. I thank you for all of your insight as it does help to hear the points of views of everyone who is currently living in Florida.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
btallison, I'm surprised you hadn't heard of the very, very high unemployment rate and the huge bust in construction jobs in Florida. If you are a researcher then surely you've seen this. And the housing crash and all of the jobs that went with it were national news, yet you were saying your husband was good with a saw. In any event, perhaps you've downgraded your reality since you are no longer looking for $12 to $15 hour jobs. Just be prepared to fight for server positions in Titusville.

What did your family in Florida tell you?

Ah well, best of luck in all of your endeavors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida