Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM

198 posts, read 462,244 times

Advertisements

I am sure you get this question all of the time, but I am wondering what the average pay for customer service type jobs there might be in the space coast area (Merritt Island etc in Brevard county) . Also my husband is a millworker making furniture for a high end company here in Vermont. He has alot of experience in woodworking but could learn any manufacturing type job, electrician, plumbing, warehouse, well you know what I mean. Something that pays 12-15 an hour. Is that feasible? I was shocked that my Dr suggested a warm climate , but my hands keep turning blue and I am unable to take meds for it. I have relatives in Titusville so I would want to be near them. However if there are better opportunities on the west coast, (North Port area)I would love to hear what people have to say. I really appreciate your help in this matter. I must say I will miss my 43 acres in Vermont as I love the country, but I really cannot afford to lose my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,200,318 times
Minimum wage.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,392,783 times
You might consider a larger metro area...possibly Jacksonville or Orlando. The closer you are to these bigger cities, the more opportunities. The space coast is a relatively small area that is likely to have fewer jobs and that usually equals lower pay. Plus there have been big cuts in the space industry due to the retirement of the Shuttle Program.

If you like the country, you will be surprised to find some nice natural areas in Florida. It has its own beauty that an outdoors person would truly appreciate.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,227,133 times
Good Luck

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM

258 posts, read 613,202 times
Welcome To The Sunshine State .... Bring Money.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,760,752 times
$12 an hour for customer service will be near impossible.

The others are right-serach the metro areas first and move where you have a job-not necessarily where you want to move.

What do your relatives in Titusville suggest?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM

198 posts, read 462,244 times
Thank you for responding. Is $10 or $11 obtainable for customer service? Also my husband is a factory/woodworker with electrical, plumbing and can run all sorts of planers/saws etc. He is also a logger.
(I know, I know) . I just called my Aunt who is 84 so she was not any help with employment and I am waiting for my cousin to call me back. We do not need high paying jobs, just decent jobs with benefits. What about retirement communities? I see there are plenty that need servers or maintenance. (They are just not listing the wages, but the Benefits are great.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,279,902 times
sorry to hear about your health. times are hard down here as well as elsewhere. businesses are closed that i never thought would close. wages are low. not sure the job picture is too good 10.5% UE?

wish you well.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,760,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
Thank you for responding. Is $10 or $11 obtainable for customer service? Also my husband is a factory/woodworker with electrical, plumbing and can run all sorts of planers/saws etc. He is also a logger.
(I know, I know) . I just called my Aunt who is 84 so she was not any help with employment and I am waiting for my cousin to call me back. We do not need high paying jobs, just decent jobs with benefits. What about retirement communities? I see there are plenty that need servers or maintenance. (They are just not listing the wages, but the Benefits are great.
I know little about Titusville but in general those jobs will pay minimum wage or just above. Any $10 an hour job that also has benefits would be fantastic.

The phrase you used-"decent job with benefits" is really unheard of in FL for the professions you are looking at.

As an example, my 20 something daughter-who has lived here her whole life-searched for months and months for a retail or server job-both of which she has experience in. She wound up with a part time security job that paid $9 something an hour.

A good rule of thumb is if the wage isn't listed it pays the minimum or close to it.

There is very little work for the construction type trades since the economy tanked.

I don't mean to be a downer but that is the reality here.

A couple of ideas-

-Can you live with your relatives? That would save housing costs.
-Job first, then look for housing-ALWAYS.
-The smaller rural towns you prefer are generally towards the middle of the state. The wages tend to be lower there but so does the cost of living-in general. You might have some luck expanding your search there since most folks who move here want jobs closer to the coasts.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM

4,977 posts, read 7,172,807 times
You might want to check out other states with warm weather. Florida can be a tough place to re-establish your self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida