Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

My wife, my 5 year old daughter and I are looking at moving to St Augustine so that my wife can finish her schooling, but we have a lot of questions. We are not sure how the area is in regards to living, commuting, schools, crime and such. We've never been anywhere in Florida, but the Miami area so we're completely clueless. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,963,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomdaddy View Post
My wife, my 5 year old daughter and I are looking at moving to St Augustine so that my wife can finish her schooling, but we have a lot of questions. We are not sure how the area is in regards to living, commuting, schools, crime and such. We've never been anywhere in Florida, but the Miami area so we're completely clueless. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
St Augustine has a nice downtown. To me, it's kind of a touristy area. There is a college there. It's also expensive to live there. Once you get off 95, you have to travel 17 miles I believe to get to town. The town has an ordinance where the stores close at 5 PM. The beach is there as well. That's all I can tell you about Saint Augustine being I don't live there but have visited a couple times. I know some people that live in Palm Coast and they say it's more affordable.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM

26,985 posts, read 43,537,741 times
Not all of St Augustine is touristy and there are some nicer areas of town on the north/northwest side which are more suburban. The close at 5pm ordinance applies to stores in the downtown/tourist area and not throughout the city. Because of the narrow streets and lack of modern day infrastructure it's done to get the shoppers/day-trippers out so there's parking for the restaurant/bar trade at night as well as for overnight guests at hotels/B&Bs. Check out the areas northwest of town (in/around the planned community of World Golf Village) which are in one of the top school districts in the state (St Johns County). The Wards Creek Elementary or Timberlin Creek Elementary school zones would be your best choices and are both A+ rated schools in very safe areas. That area of town also affords a fairly easy commute to the southside of Jacksonville which has many work opportunities.

Wards Creek Elementary School - Wards Creek Elementary
Timberlin Creek Elementary School - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida