U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:35 PM

305 posts, read 735,239 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered about this... the low wages and mostly service type jobs that South Florida usually has to offer. I live in Pembroke Pines, been here for close to 30 years and I really hate this place. Usually, I'm a individual who has to find a job often and usually it's a below $10 position and I know I'm not a educated individual, nor one that can demand a certain amount of money but I always felt that even though a individual isn't "educated" nor might he/she be a "role model" for society, I felt that everyone that at least puts something into the economy is entitled to get something back. What I mean is that I've always felt a person shouldn't be denied to make a honest living even if they're working at McDonald's or washing dishes or sweeping floors. I feel affordable housing is a must and everyone is entitled to something in America..... regardless of qualifications... yes I know I'm crazy.

Back to Florida, if you live around the Fort Lauderdale area then you've seen the mass advertising that "scam" schools like Keiser University do. I'm a graduate of Keiser University and I've learned how much of a scam these schools are. They usually paste ads on every bus, paper, T.V, radio station advertising and telling about how a "degree" from their school will "change your life" and make you a "success" and in "18 months" you'll start off as a "insert made up profession" and enjoy your new career. Also, some of these schools make course names up outta their ass, for example "Computer Network Security" I don't think that's really a name for a degree, what happened to good ole "Computer Science"?

Anyways basically they target a certain range of individuals and take them for a ride, they end up with a pretty worthless degree and they didn't learn much from the actually school, everything was accelerated. They got taken... of course they can only market a certain area, other areas like Weston or Coral Springs get very little advertising....

Basically, I wanted to know about the job market, with no many fortune 500 companies in South Florida, where does the opportunity come from to make a living? Especially for young individuals.

I want to know what are my chances down here in Florida for at least some kind of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,026,247 times
You have a decent vocabulary, pretty darn good grammar, organize and present your thoughts well. You say you are not educated, but obviously you have learned a great deal, somewhere. Some of it was undoutably from the school of hard knocks, such as your experience with Keiser College. It apears obvious to me that you have potential greater than $10 per hour; you just have not discovered what it is.

If you present your appearance as well as your writing, and if you are reasonably articulate in the spoken word as well as writing, the best direction for making more money is often sales of some sort. The easiest jobs to get in sales are car sales or insurance sales, but they can be frustrating unless you are very good at it, and work at it seriously.

Perhaps you should go to the counseling office of Broward Community College and ask if they can help you get an aptitude test, and provide guidance for career courses. The cost is low, the degree is valid, and even if your high school scores are low, they will usually let you enroll on a probationary basis.

Good luck -- you have the right attitude.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 PM

130 posts, read 551,537 times
1. A degree.. Yes, it's a piece of paper, but it shows employers that you can start something, and finish it.
2. What are your interests? What do you want to do in life? If you are focused on short term, vs. career, and down the line time, then you'll always be scrounging at the bottom. That's not being mean, that's just a fact.
3. Do you have any entrepreneurial tendencies, and if so, have you ever investigated them? After that, do you have a way of funding your ideas? If not, then go back to 1 and 2.

Other than that, you won't "make it" in ANY city, in ANY country, if you haven't figured out what you want to do with your life. I was always told by my mentors, be sure you choose your career wisely, because you're gonna be doing it for a loooooong time, so you might as well do something you really enjoy.

Next, what is "Success" to you? It can mean so many things, to so many different people.

Peace!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,996,478 times
Broward County's economy is based on real estate, construction and tourism, and that seems to be the way the county's leadership likes it. Unless that changes, the job market here will be prone to boom-and-bust cycles and is unlikely to be truly robust. There's hardly any manufacturing base here, and the mediocre schools and high cost of living scare off companies that might be interested in relocating to the area.

That said, I think there are real opportunities here if you are entrepreneurial and can find the right niche for a small business. If you are reliable and provide excellent products or services at a fair price, your chances of chances of succeeding here (or anywhere) are pretty good.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM

1. I want a career in I.T and that's a personal goal of mine. I'm more interested in the hardware side of I.T than the software side. I've recently attained my A+ certification and I'm studying for my N+ certification as we speak. I have a 2 year degree in Computer Network Administration from "Keiser" and I'm hoping that with the recent certifications will be able to open the door for me into a promising career in I.T. I know I.T is a ever-changing field and those who are successful never really "sleep" as they have to constantly keep up with the changes being made in I.T, however I believe I have the right attitude to get to the top of the ladder.

Thanks for the answers but can I get a answer on the second half of my original post.... "Is Florida or better yet "South Florida" a suitable place for young people to grow and prosper"?

I see a lot of young individuals leaving and it's apparent why. I see a lot of young individuals under 35 still living at home as well (so do I) and when I think about it I really don't know how most of them are going to improve and get something going for themselves, opportunity isn't there and the jobs that are available aren't paying nowhere enough for one to maintain one's self.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Question answered.... I didn't know that.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:09 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,703,932 times
I have a friend who works for Banana Republic. It's actually a pretty decent job, where store managers can make 50k+ year with benefits and vacation time.

Now, according to my friend, the Banana Republic store in West Palm Beach at Cityplace has had an opening for an ENTRY LEVEL management position, something that would allow for experience and advancement down the road, starting at about $12/hour (with benefits).

The position has been advertised for weeks now. There's been only ONE applicant. I wonder if people just aren't interested, don't NEED jobs, or is that not enough money?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
1. I want a career in I.T and that's a personal goal of mine. I'm more interested in the hardware side of I.T than the software side. I've recently attained my A+ certification and I'm studying for my N+ certification as we speak. I have a 2 year degree in Computer Network Administration from "Keiser" and I'm hoping that with the recent certifications will be able to open the door for me into a promising career in I.T. I know I.T is a ever-changing field and those who are successful never really "sleep" as they have to constantly keep up with the changes being made in I.T, however I believe I have the right attitude to get to the top of the ladder.

Thanks for the answers but can I get a answer on the second half of my original post.... "Is Florida or better yet "South Florida" a suitable place for young people to grow and prosper"?

I see a lot of young individuals leaving and it's apparent why. I see a lot of young individuals under 35 still living at home as well (so do I) and when I think about it I really don't know how most of them are going to improve and get something going for themselves, opportunity isn't there and the jobs that are available aren't paying nowhere enough for one to maintain one's self.
Lord, you sound like me when I was in my early 20's just out of college. OK, this is what I tell our young padawan learners..

1. If you are in a market that has a dearth of IT jobs, then MOVE. You'll find that the really good techies are a roaming bunch, and seldom stay still. We hunger for challenge, and once an environment has settled down and is in maintenance mode, you'll find us checking dice, hotjobs, craigslist, etc., etc. LOL! (I am a network administrator for a top five defense contractor w. 12 yrs experience in information technology btw). I have never had the want or fear of not having a job, and I worked in Sillicon Valley from the boom throught the bust.

2. The chicken and the egg, how can you get a job w. no experience, how can you get experience w.o a job? Well, that's where the degree kicked in. My first manager (who I am friends with to this very day) after college took a chance on me. I got my degree from UWF, and hoofed it to Atlanta. Slept on friends couches, and ironed all my shirts/suits myself. After two weeks of pounding the pavement, I was in, and never looked back since.

3. If you don't have the cash, or the ability to just take off like that, then look around you. Check craigslist, dice, hotjobs, careerbuilder. Look for entry level gigs that at least have good benefits. Slowly work yourself up the chain once you are in. The key is to GET IN. Once you are there, SHINE. Keep your head down, don't play politics, kick ass and take names, and have a "can do"/"never say die" attitude. Sure, you'll make some mistakes, but as long as you prepare for mistakes and can recover from them, you'll do fine.

Word of advise, before you click, crack open a case, or reconfigure, backup, backup, backup. Always be able to recover. In this field, you always have to be ready to take things to the next level. You will also be thrown into situations where no amount of technical training could have prepared you, yet your managers and user community will be looking to you to save them. That's again where the degree came in, because that's when a project and an unrealistic deadline will present themselves to you, and you'll have to just hunker down, work w. the vendor, and teach yourself on the fly.

It's an exciting field, and I'm happy to have been a part of it!

Stay safe, and best regards man. You'll make it. I can "hear it" in your posts.

sb

Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 PM

OH, and I just saw the part about Pembroke Pines.. well, I can tell you this.. once you get a couple of years under your belt as a bench tech, field tech, or whatnot (hell, work for Geek Squad w. Best Buy, or that new service that Circuit City is doing) and apply like a maniac for defense contractor gigs.. do anything you can to get a security clearance.. from that point, you'll be almost able to write your own ticket. I'm serious.. here's the story about PB.

I have a friend who actually lived in PB for many years (he moved down there from Atlanta, he'd started as a wet behind the ears bench tech, w. like a year or two of Devry @ 19 yrs old).

Well, he was a systems administrator for a small defense contractor, who had sponsored him for security clearance. Then one day in 2002, he gets a call that a major company is basically sweeping through south florida picking up any and every it guy it can hire w. clearance, for a major expansion. BOOM, it's five years later, he's making six figures, etc., etc., etc. Can't say where he "is", but he's in the "south florida area" still. No degree, half of a technical degree, but he's got experience and a clearance. It's a beautiful thing!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 PM

272 posts, read 1,407,142 times
"Is Florida or better yet "South Florida" a suitable place for young people to grow and prosper"?

South Florida - Nope. No industries with room for growth and the cost of living is ridiculous.
Florida in general - it's possible, you just have to go where the demand for your field is. Mohamed must go to the mountain.

I work in IT and we have some network guys with AS degrees who make more than 8.00 an hour. Heck, I think my local McDonalds pays more than that. I live on the panhandle.

I think if that's the industry you want to be in and you want to live a more affordable area, you need to get out of South Florida. That's not where the majority of Florida's IT jobs are and the cost of living is insane. Most of FL's IT jobs are in central FL along the I-4 corridor or on the panhandle.

You are right, IT is an ever-changing field and you constantly have to keep yourself up to date on the latest and greatest technology and it would help to continue your education. Ideally, you want to get in with company that offers tuition reimbursement and go for that BS, it will make all the difference in your income and hirability. Seriously, look at areas outside of SoFL. Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Orlando, Melbourne, Titusville, Panama City, Fort Walton Beach, Pensacola, etc. Get out on Monster and have a look around to see who's hiring and maybe what they are paying. You can even stick your resume out there and see who bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or