Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Exactly. Just how I felt ... and I'm 50.

Two hours is a long way to Gulf, Atlantic, Jax or Orl ... And with traffic, I say 3+ hours more like it. My job high paying, no place to go, or hang out when you're 40+ and single, no kids. Gainesville can make one feel sad over a long period of time ... High suicide rate too.
Care to provide a link to your suicide claim?

It takes 1 hour to get to the Gulf(Cedar Key). There is never any traffic to Jax which is 2 hours along with St. Augustine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There is no issue with jobs if you work in higher education or healthcare.

The cost of living is higher because the university and hospitals have a lot of high income jobs. Gainesville is also one of the most educated cities in Florida and is liberal which often leads to higher taxes.

Like any other true college town it's an ideal place for families and not those who are single and out of college. There is a very good sense of community if you have a family and are involved in activities.
Bull****...

To say there is "no issue with jobs if you work in higher education or healthcare" is pretty misleading. Competition for actual education jobs is VERY fierce, and pay is average for the industry. Healthcare jobs are plentiful, although pay is lower than what you can find in other cities. As far as the rest of the jobs at the university, pay is on average pretty low. And will continue to be if Rick Scott has anything to do with it.

Cost of living is high because there are so many leeches in the Eastside who suck up the welfare money and the keystone kops in the Alachua county commission and gainesville city council dont know how to run things.

The last time I was in Gainesville, I was appalled to see how run down the immediate area around the university had become in the 10 or so years since I had last been through town. I graduated in the mid 90's and had not been back in a while.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
The area north of the University itself contains older but generally well-kept houses in a safe neighborhood.
Not really until you get to about NW 8th Ave...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Bull****...

To say there is "no issue with jobs if you work in higher education or healthcare" is pretty misleading. Competition for actual education jobs is VERY fierce, and pay is average for the industry. Healthcare jobs are plentiful, although pay is lower than what you can find in other cities. As far as the rest of the jobs at the university, pay is on average pretty low. And will continue to be if Rick Scott has anything to do with it.

Cost of living is high because there are so many leeches in the Eastside who suck up the welfare money and the keystone kops in the Alachua county commission and gainesville city council dont know how to run things.

The last time I was in Gainesville, I was appalled to see how run down the immediate area around the university had become in the 10 or so years since I had last been through town. I graduated in the mid 90's and had not been back in a while.
So the most educated city in Florida doesn't have high paying jobs? Good luck with that. No one is saying to move without a job but if you are moving here with a job at UF/Santa Fe/Hospital there won't be many issues.

The cost of living is high because there are extra taxes for schools and conservation which like I said you will find in areas with a highly educated/liberal population. There are some programs for the Eastside in the taxes but that is just part of it.

So your information on Gainesville is over 20 years old and you were only a student? This explains why you don't know much about the current climate.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM

258 posts, read 614,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

Crazynip is 100% correct.

Gatornation ... Most likely UF Dropout Zealot ... working at 7-Eleven in Jonesville.

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 01-20-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Care to provide a link to your suicide claim? It takes 1 hour to get to the Gulf (Cedar Key). There is never any traffic to Jax which is 2 hours along with St. Augustine.
Hey GatorZealot -

About my suicide claim; ... my estimates unconfirmed. Word of mouth / non factual hearsay only. But word on the street indicates high suicide rate per capita in Gainesville. Daytona Beach also. I've had 5+ friends kill themsleves since 1997. Youngest was 24. Oldest was 47.

To Cedar Key, 2 hours w/traffic. 1 hour 30 minutes normal driving. However, nothing is there. Sea Breeze - only decent restaurant. Very small Redneck community. The ocean is muddy brown. Jax and St. Augustine - 2 hours minimum. With traffic about 1 hour 30 minutes ....

GN: Dont' Bullsh*t me about Gainesville ... I grew up there.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Crazynip is 100% correct.

Gatornation ... Most likely UF Dropout Zealot ... working at 7-Eleven in Jonesville.
You are the one that couldn't get out of Gaineville for years because you didn't have enough money based on your past posts.

Gainesville is not a good place for older/single people who don't make much money. I can see why you hated it.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Hey GatorZealot -

About my suicide claim; ... my estimates unconfirmed. Word of mouth / non factual hearsay only. But word on the street indicates high suicide rate per capita in Gainesville. Daytona Beach also. I've had 5+ friends kill themsleves since 1997. Youngest was 24. Oldest was 47.

To Cedar Key, 2 hours w/traffic. 1 hour 30 minutes normal driving. However, nothing is there. Sea Breeze - only decent restaurant. Very small Redneck community. The ocean is muddy brown. Jax and St. Augustine - 2 hours minimum. With traffic about 1 hour 30 minutes ....

GN: Dont' Bullsh*t me about Gainesville ... I grew up there.
So you just made up the suicide, got it.

Traffic to Cedar Key? At the one stop light in Archer? Ha.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CCEQ-A8wAA

57 miles and you have about four stop light the entire trip.

My posts deal with FACTS. Your posts are wild claims.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Cedar Key does not really matter so much to people of Gainesville. Sunday brunches at Sea Breeze, that's about it ... And for you to claim it's anything more is bullsh*t. Cedar Key is a non issue ... People want to experience a real city and Jax, Orl and Tampa are all about 2 hours away, maybe 3 hours with traffic. And no scenery, flat I-75, cheesy billboards advertising sea shells and high school grade Fireworks, or even the hideous looking skanky women working at Cafe Risque.

I think you're one of the many hard core UF fanatics. Maybe this is why you're so strung out over the area. It's a hard town for people who want more out of life. And the conservative way of life and thinking makes it hard for single people over 40 who are independent or think out of the box, or those who don't work 9-5. I think Crazynip said it best ....

Once past college life, and you're 30 or 40+ ... Life in Gainesville gets old. It wears on you, over time .... People get in a rut. Hard to make enough $ to make a big move out ... People get ' stuck '.

Peace

Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Cedar Key does not really matter so much to people of Gainesville. Sunday brunches at Sea Breeze, that's about it ... And for you to claim it's anything more is bullsh*t. Cedar Key is a non issue ... People want to experience a real city and Jax, Orl and Tampa are all about 2 hours away, maybe 3 hours with traffic. And no scenery, flat I-75, cheesy billboards advertising sea shells and high school grade Fireworks, or even the hideous looking skanky women working at Cafe Risque.

I think you're one of the many hard core UF fanatics. Maybe this is why you're so strung out over the area. It's a hard town for people who want more out of life. And the conservative way of life and thinking makes it hard for single people over 40 who are independent or think out of the box, or those who don't work 9-5. I think Crazynip said it best ....

Once past college life, and you're 30 or 40+ ... Life in Gainesville gets old. It wears on you, over time .... People get in a rut. Hard to make enough $ to make a big move out ... People get ' stuck '.

Peace
I've said from the start it's a town for college students and families just like every true college town is.

Alachua has twice as many democrats as republicans so the conservative talk is foolish. You know the mayor is gay right? You clearly are not able to differentiate from your personal experience in life and what the town culture is for most people depending on if you live on the east/west/campus areas of town.

The OP can decide who they fit best with.

-Single/middle age/no family
-UF grad who has been back once in 20 years
-UF grad who worked at Shands as of a couple years ago with a family on the west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida