U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:19 PM

45 posts, read 155,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How can wages go up when an economy does not exist in the state other than tourism & low pay retail?
Florida used to be a state that depended upon a tourism-based economy. The last seven years or so, it's depended upon the phantom industry of construction.

It really has been madness down here. I remember being in complete shock when I heard that people were actually paying 500k/800K for homes in Cape Coral, the Land of No Trees and Ants, Ants, Ants.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,413,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Alum View Post
I remember being in complete shock when I heard that people were actually paying 500k/800K for homes in Cape Coral, the Land of No Trees and Ants, Ants, Ants.
To live on Cape Coral

Hey, guess it could be worse, it could always have been Lehigh Acres people were overpaying for.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Do you have something against at will employment?

I think that employers should be able to fire anyone they want. If a person has a contract, then they are protected.

I'm curious-what do you think wages should be and for what work?
I think it is a fine line that needs to be better handled due to several reasons that would take this post way off topic.

It is not so much wages I am concerned about anymore as it is such things as lack of health insurance; 401k plans, etc that those on min. wage cannot afford.

But, again, this would take the post off topic.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,852,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I think it is a fine line that needs to be better handled due to several reasons that would take this post way off topic.

It is not so much wages I am concerned about anymore as it is such things as lack of health insurance; 401k plans, etc that those on min. wage cannot afford.

But, again, this would take the post off topic.

I just wrote a very long comment and then saw the remarks about going off topic, so I deleted it, because I want to follow the rules. However, I totally agree! I'll just say bridfly that I've worked for companies that lie about laying people off so they don't have to pay unemployment taxes and those who call you "part-time" no matter how many hours you work - for obvious reasons. There's no recourse at all. I've tried.

Going back to the housing market, I priced out many houses and condos lately and, even if I paid cash, the taxes, fees and insurance alone would be almost as high as my rent. So I guess I might keep renting for a while longer or move elsewhere. I live in Lee County but I've found some very reasonable rentals in Charlotte County. Houses are renting for $700 to $800 a month. That might sound high to people who live in other states, but $800 is very low for Bonita Springs or Naples.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Ahh, yes, the inevitable "part-time" so that all that needs to be paid is bare minimum.

I am a teacher & see this starting to occur in the education field. One teacher for the AM, one for the PM. I mean there are pros & cons to it, but generally, it is a shoddy deal & people are forced to stick with it due to needing the income.

I must say, though, I worked for Starbucks part-time back when I was teaching full time & going to grad school. Starbucks, at the time, offered full-time health benefits to employees who worked 20+ hours. They also offered some other very nice benefits to part-time & full-time employees.

And yes, I would say that Charlotte County rentals are cheaper than Lee. We are in Charlotte County for that reason & b/c we feel it is safer in Charlotte County. My husband's commute to Fort Myers is not all that bad on most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or