U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,173,300 times

Advertisements

Attention Transplants:

There are plenty of normal, safe neighborhoods not surrounded by feel-good gates and walls. You don't have to live behind Checkpoint Charlie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 AM

161 posts, read 345,149 times
Everybody and their brother has the gate code for those fancy paranoid communities. I own a roadside assistance company, anybody that needs a jumpstart etc gives the driver the gate code. The pizza guy gets the gate code. The babysitter gets the gate code. The plumber gets the gate code. You see where I am going with this...... gate codes mean nothing.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,856,811 times
Awww man... I should have bought in a gated community? Nobody told me this before purchasing my home. Too little too late.

Seriously, I wouldn't live in a gated community. This that live in a gated community tend to be pretentious, anal and not very social with their neighbors.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,594,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
First of all, I said clearly I don't live in a gated community. I said I live in regular neighborhood but one with a police officer present. I am only advising transplants that it is best to live in a gated community in Florida because hoodrats are taking over our state and I'm sick of it. I don't even advise people to move here at all! But if these transplants insist, they should live as safely as possible so they don't have to deal with ghetto trash. These people are even coming to nice un-gated neighborhoods! I am not saying that gated neighborhoods are better. But if I was staying in Florida, I wouldn't give these hoodlums the chance. There has been WAY too many thefts.

I'm glad all the natives here feel safe enough in your little communities not to have to deal with thefts and break-ins but that's not the case for other people. I too am one of the people who thought gated communities gave people a false sense of security and thought I would never live in one but being here in Orlando for only a week and having my cousin had his things stolen and seeing the n'er-do-well youth and their horrible ghetto ways I realized how in a state like Florida it is necessary when you live in an area with people who are angry with their lives and want nice things and will steal yours and your money to get it. I'm glad your communities are safe and hoodrat free. Mine isn't. And thank God I'm not staying in Florida to put up with any of it any longer.

And for the dipsticks who keep saying how the gated security isn't efficient, get a life and some sense. First of all, one of my family members lives in a gated apartment building and you need a code to get through the gate. I don't think theives are going to climb over the gate to break in and steal a plasma screen television that they couldn't even carry back out the gate. You kinda need a car for that! And without the security code, you will not get in! So please spare me the sales pitch about security! The only reason most of you are talking is because you haven't been targeted..YET!
Heres some advice;
Dont go to the ghetto.
See, wasnt that easy?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,374,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Awww man... I should have bought in a gated community? Nobody told me this before purchasing my home. Too little too late.

Seriously, I wouldn't live in a gated community. This that live in a gated community tend to be pretentious, anal and not very social with their neighbors.
How would you know whether folks are not social with their neighbors in a gated community if you have never lived in one in Florida ? And they're anal ?
Anal about what ? Maybe they just don't want to deal with some of the pond scum that lives in non-gated communities.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 57,763 times
I stay in some apartments in Altamonte Springs that was gated but we use a key card and our place was very safe. Stayed there for two years and never had a problem there at all.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM

10,540 posts, read 10,760,497 times
Gated is useless unless it's guard gated

Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,856,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Maybe they just don't want to deal with some of the pond scum that lives in non-gated communities.

Yes, obviously "pond scum" does not live in gated communities . Those gates keep all the bad guys out.

However, you are correct. I have not lived in a gated community in Florida so I'm definitely off base on my assumptions.

So in summary: Pond Scum only live outside of gated communities. Gates keep all the pond scum out. Those living in Gated Communities do not have a superiority complex... such as calling others... well... Pond Scum. Yep, sounds like friendly outgoing people to me!

Frankly, gates provide a false sense of security. I know this because when house shopping, I looked at some homes in gated communities. Enable to do a drive by I would wait outside the gate until a resident drove through, and I would follow right behind them. Only once did someone ask what I was doing. I told them I was looking at a home for sale. At that point they began telling me all about the neighborhood. They even mentioned how everyone looks after one another. For instance, how this homeowner is keeping an eye on their neighbors house while they were out of town.

I laughed after they took off because I could have easily followed them to their house and likely determine which neighbor is out of town by doing a bit of surveillance.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,374,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Yes, obviously "pond scum" does not live in gated communities . Those gates keep all the bad guys out.

However, you are correct. I have not lived in a gated community in Florida so I'm definitely off base on my assumptions.

So in summary: Pond Scum only live outside of gated communities. Gates keep all the pond scum out. Those living in Gated Communities do not have a superiority complex... such as calling others... well... Pond Scum. Yep, sounds like friendly outgoing people to me!

Frankly, gates provide a false sense of security. I know this because when house shopping, I looked at some homes in gated communities. Enable to do a drive by I would wait outside the gate until a resident drove through, and I would follow right behind them. Only once did someone ask what I was doing. I told them I was looking at a home for sale. At that point they began telling me all about the neighborhood. They even mentioned how everyone looks after one another. For instance, how this homeowner is keeping an eye on their neighbors house while they were out of town.

I laughed after they took off because I could have easily followed them to their house and likely determine which neighbor is out of town by doing a bit of surveillance.
I don't live in a gated community, but do have some neighbors who are pretentious and don't socialize. And I never said the gates keep all of the bad guys out ... but what you said about people living in gated communities being pretentious, anal, and non-social applies to gated and non-gated communities and to society in general.

Not too many gated communities in Alaska, eh ? Unless you are in prison up there ...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,173,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
Everybody and their brother has the gate code for those fancy paranoid communities. I own a roadside assistance company, anybody that needs a jumpstart etc gives the driver the gate code. The pizza guy gets the gate code. The babysitter gets the gate code. The plumber gets the gate code. You see where I am going with this...... gate codes mean nothing.
Exactly. I needed to get into some gated apartment complex once and my friend was picking up his phone to buzz me in. Some lady walked over and asked me if I lived there. "Yes, of course," I replied, and she let me in. Some security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or