U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 AM

45 posts, read 45,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
wow someone who actually wants humidity lol.

well youll get plenty of it here on the west coast. you can barely make it to your car in a parking lot without staining your clothes in sweat.
I prefer the humidity too because the dryness makes my contacts very uncomfortable, but yes I realize FL is a whole other level of water in the air... although IN is pretty extreme w/humidity and 100-106 temps several days/weeks out of the summer. So... why not be near a beach in that case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
I'm originally from CA where summer time it wasn't uncommon to hit temps over 100. So far, in east coast florida, I've yet to really experience 3 digit temps. The highest i've seen on my car thermometer was 97. Usually max in low 90's.

I'd pick humidity hot over desert oven hot too. However, I'm used to night time relief where you can enjoy things that don't have the AC.

In Florida, even at 3am, it's still hot to walk outside. Temp would be in the low 80's but + the humidity, it's very hot.
that's the only bummer.... never get a break... even in the evenings. here not so much either, except sometimes in the later summer/fall (IN) but that would be SO nice!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Humidity = every day is a bad hair day.
And when I visited, it was hard on my skin (the sweat and sunscreen)... but hopefully that would adjust.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootseye View Post
the best part of living in florida is the day you are fortunate enofugh to move out !
that's funny

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T27taylor View Post
Hi Sueilp,
Thanks for the info. I briefly looked into Vero Beach. I like the area north of Jupiter from everything I've read and pix I've seen. It looks beautiful. I've only read positive post about Vero. My best friend lives in West Palm Beach, but it's too much for me. I want my kids in a safer area and to be able to get more for my money. I checked out the hospital website you enclosed briefly, does it have a NICU? If so, is it level III? Thanks for help.
wrt WPB - was it just too much sprawl/crime? Where are you now and do you enjoy it?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatLuvr2 View Post
I've been on both sides, and (I know I'm going to get beat up by eastern Floridians for this) it is my opinion that the west coast beaches are better. In all fairness, I've only been the sw eastern FL beaches. However, I've been all the way down the west coast from the the far west panhandle (Perdido/Pensacola) down to Fort Myers. I don't care for the darker sand, darker water of the Atlantic side. The panhandle beaches are breathtakingly beautiful with some slight to moderate surf. They have powder white sand that is just unbelievable! The Tampa beaches are more calm, and each beach is different (water clarity, sand color/consistency) with it's own personality (Clearwater, Indian Shores, Madeira, etc.). My favorite town was south of Tampa in the Manasota Key area. It was a little more expensive (avg. home $250 and up) but it had more of that small-town, PERSONABLE feel....less illegal immigration problems, less crime, more seniors, less traffic). I DO NOT recommend Ft. Myers at all. We went to the area this summer to check it out (it was on our list of possible areas to relocate to) and we HATED it. First of all, they need a solution to their beach parking problem. The actual beach area is congested, over developed, over populated, with towing threats posted all the way up and down the strip. The beach was crowded, shallow waters for several hundred feet (kinda cool), the water was very warm (like 93 degrees....how can you get any relief in those temperatures?), and it was clear but tea colored (not aqua like the majority of the western beaches). We spent some time in the actual city and did not like it's traffic, or the fact that it clearly looked like it could possibly be a haven community for illegal immigration. It really all depends upon what you're looking for and what you won't tolerate. These are the options you'll have to weigh. Like you, we have small children, and everything matters! Last time I did a job search lookup, both Pensacola and Panama City had hospital jobs. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot them back! Best of luck to you!
This was VERY informative, esp regarding Ft. Meyers.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 AM

72 posts, read 14,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatLuvr2 View Post
I've been on both sides, and (I know I'm going to get beat up by eastern Floridians for this) it is my opinion that the west coast beaches are better. In all fairness, I've only been the sw eastern FL beaches. However, I've been all the way down the west coast from the the far west panhandle (Perdido/Pensacola) down to Fort Myers. I don't care for the darker sand, darker water of the Atlantic side. The panhandle beaches are breathtakingly beautiful with some slight to moderate surf. They have powder white sand that is just unbelievable! The Tampa beaches are more calm, and each beach is different (water clarity, sand color/consistency) with it's own personality (Clearwater, Indian Shores, Madeira, etc.). My favorite town was south of Tampa in the Manasota Key area. It was a little more expensive (avg. home $250 and up) but it had more of that small-town, PERSONABLE feel....less illegal immigration problems, less crime, more seniors, less traffic). I DO NOT recommend Ft. Myers at all. We went to the area this summer to check it out (it was on our list of possible areas to relocate to) and we HATED it. First of all, they need a solution to their beach parking problem. The actual beach area is congested, over developed, over populated, with towing threats posted all the way up and down the strip. The beach was crowded, shallow waters for several hundred feet (kinda cool), the water was very warm (like 93 degrees....how can you get any relief in those temperatures?), and it was clear but tea colored (not aqua like the majority of the western beaches). We spent some time in the actual city and did not like it's traffic, or the fact that it clearly looked like it could possibly be a haven community for illegal immigration. It really all depends upon what you're looking for and what you won't tolerate. These are the options you'll have to weigh. Like you, we have small children, and everything matters! Last time I did a job search lookup, both Pensacola and Panama City had hospital jobs. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot them back! Best of luck to you!
Anyone considering moving south of Okeechobee Lake needs to be informed that Florida has a huge agriculture area and you will find lots of "illegal looking people". The more inland you drive, the more Mexican it gets because that is where the agricultural fields are located.

Someone has to pick the lettuce of your Taco Bell burrito

Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 AM

11,958 posts, read 11,474,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Dulcinea View Post
Anyone considering moving south of Okeechobee Lake needs to be informed that Florida has a huge agriculture area and you will find lots of "illegal looking people". The more inland you drive, the more Mexican it gets because that is where the agricultural fields are located.

Illegal-looking? Was it the sombreros or were they dragging their belongings behind them or....????

Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Dulcinea View Post

very interesting and helpful

Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,293 times
I have seen Florida's west coast change drastically since 1973 some good some bad. I've lived in NC, OK, CO, KY & OH. No place is perfect. Depending on if you boat, fish, bike, hike, swim, or an artist, motorcycle, love nature, love to shop or open your own business. I would say FL can accomodate all if you do your homework. FL seems to change every 5-7 years what areas are good & not so good. I'm suspecting from the turnover of people moving here without doing their homework first where they choose a live. Also where the reirees used to live is not the same as in the past. I would say the west coast is mostly younger to middle age now from Crystal River to Siesta Key. Traffic is an issue all over FL all year long so brace yourself. Higher insurance rates keep in mind for about anything. Winter is generally lower humidity and the best months are April & May for weather & doing most outdoor activities these are your prime months west of Tampa to the north & south at least within a 100 miles I have noiced in last 4 years. Warm days, cool nights, lower humidity & minimum rain. There are expensive & affordable places to live just like any other state. If you love 4 seasons FL probably isn't you place to live. It does get cold and if you live here long enough you will appreciate the kinds of seasons we do have. FL resident discounts are a perk if you want to stay on the beach in a hotel on a lo ng weekend and most theme parks offer FL resident discounts. I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 being best I would personally say living here I would give a 6.5 in the Tampa Bay area. My biggest problem would be not enough roads & heavy traffic or I would
probably give it an 8. I did not want to move back to FL at first, but I am glad I have now. If you look for the good you will find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida