Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroker77 View Post
Stone oak,
I will be moving there shortly. If you don't mind, could you please provide some perspective in reference to the same questions you asked above. Furthermore, how are the beaches, the locals, entertainment and things to do with the family? Are all the negative things folks mentioned true?Thanks!
Quite simply NO!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroker77 View Post
stone oak,
Thank you so much for that valuable information. Almost sounded like you were trying to discourage me from moving to Panama City Fl! LOL. We are currently in the Los Angeles area (Born and raised) However, we just got back to Cali from Mississippi(Keesler) and other then the sunny weather, we didn't miss much.Honestly we are quite tired of the fast pace of life, terrible education, smog, traffic and incredible high cost of living. Those are just some of the many reasons why we want to leave. Furthermore, I was offered a position at Tyndal that seems promising! So, would you reccomend living off base to be closer proximity to the shopping/entertainment? With a little bit of Google research, I noticed that there are no main Store/Food chains and most of your shopping is in PCB. Thus, looks like everything will be a distant drive from Tyndall. Is there a tire shop on base? Doesn't look like they have much , but then again I have never been. Anyhow, all of your information has been quite useful! Thank you for all your time.

I was worried that my post seemed more negative and don't mean to scare you -- there are many positives about PC (Despite what everyone above says) but you have to put in some work (and miles) to find them.

I was also tired of the big city and all the headaches that come with it, which is why I am more tolerant of PC. The slower pace here is nice. I especially like how hassle-free it is to go to a city parade or event. Parking is free, there's no traffic jams, the crowds are doable. Much better than San Antonio. Up to now we have always lived in large cities flourishing with new development. That's just not happening in PC so the older buildings and infrastructure is also something that probably turns my husband off.

What probably drives my husband bonkers the most is that there are no freeways here. 98 is our major stretch of road that will take you to and from Tyndall, but there is literally a traffic light at every block. Takes for-e-ver to get anywhere. Also, the speed limits across town do not top 45 mph. If you eat out every day or shop every day, then yes -- you probably want to look in the Lynn Haven area. That is much closer to businesses and the elementary schools have a good reputation. On the downside, you are farther away from the water and will have to endure the daily commute to and from Tyndall. (It's at least 25/30 minutes between Lynn Haven and Tyndall (if you get most of the green lights and do not get stopped by any trains).

Tyndall is surrounded by water on all three sides and I like being just a few minutes from the beach and they do have a lot of services on base although not immediately sure about a tire shop. Sorry.

I did not want to move to Florida specifically for the poor education system and they really haven't quelched my fears yet, but it might be an improvement from LA. Heard the middle school that serves Tyndall is horrible though and many families get on the wait list for the charter schools here -- they are suppose to be much better.

We do have a couple chain grocery stores -- Publix and Winn Dixie. Again though, be prepared for how expensive it is. I nearly cried the first time I went shopping. Although it might be comparable to LA, but my mom is from NY and she was quite stunned by the prices as well.

PC does have a mall, a couple movie theaters. One Target, three Wal-Marts. An olive garden, red lobster, Toys R Us etc. etc. So we do have stuff. I have enjoyed trying all the unique (non-chain) eateries down here and the downtown/historic areas of St. Andrews and Panama City are quaint, but enjoyable to explore. If we go to Panama City Beach it is usually to visit a restaurant they don't have here or one of the touristy places. We love the Pirates Cove mini golf in PCB, they also have Pier Park which an outdoor mall of sorts and my kids LOVE Wonderworks -- an indoor museum/play center.

So to answer your initial post -- Yes, I can understand why so many here have a deep hatred for PC, but if you focus on the positives -- the water, the friendly people, great clam dives, small town pace -- then you will enjoy it down here. Even on a bad day, I just have to drive over the bridge to Tyndall and see a beautiful sunset across the water and immediately feel better.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,970 times
Default I appreciate the response as well.

Stoneoak, I also appreciate the exhaustive description of living in the PB area and thank you for going to the effort of putting it all into words. With the type of work that I do it would be easy to transfer out of PB if it doesn't work for me, but I'm an older single guy, have lived in some very primitive places (Nome, Alaska for example), and maybe a smaller venue will work for me. We'll see!

Presently I'm managing a family ranch north of Fredericksburg, Texas. The town itself is a very expensive California style tourist trap and it's so very expensive living here that Wal-Mart employees have to be bused in from San Antonio because there's simply no affordable housing.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and I appreciate your time and effort.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,967 times
This thread has gotten overly negative. Here are some positives and reasons I recently moved to unincorporated Bay County. From the perspective of a divorced white male with no kids who managed to escape the rat race.

No HOA nannies telling me how it's gonna be and what it will cost. No more shoveling snow off the sidewalk, I don't have one. No more mowing grass every week, I live in the woods off a dirt road and bushhog twice a year. No arrogant, yuppie, diversity spewing hypocrites to vomit over. No state income tax. Nice clean air, awesome beaches, awesome fishing, and sand is better than clay mud any day. The people are much nicer than people on the East and West coasts or up North in those crime invested cities full of diversity. Plus nobody bothers my stuff or trespasses my land cuz me and all my neighbors together have all the police outgunned. The police actually act like neighbors instead of tyrants. There's plenty of water as well as beer for drinking. Traffic ain't bad. There are plenty of blue collar jobs that pay better than Arby's for the non-yuppies that aren't afraid to sweat a little. I run my own blue collar business and net more than the average middle manager in Chicago, so think about that while you sip your latte.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd5786 View Post
This thread has gotten overly negative. Here are some positives and reasons I recently moved to unincorporated Bay County. From the perspective of a divorced white male with no kids who managed to escape the rat race.

No HOA nannies telling me how it's gonna be and what it will cost. No more shoveling snow off the sidewalk, I don't have one. No more mowing grass every week, I live in the woods off a dirt road and bushhog twice a year. No arrogant, yuppie, diversity spewing hypocrites to vomit over. No state income tax. Nice clean air, awesome beaches, awesome fishing, and sand is better than clay mud any day. The people are much nicer than people on the East and West coasts or up North in those crime invested cities full of diversity. Plus nobody bothers my stuff or trespasses my land cuz me and all my neighbors together have all the police outgunned. The police actually act like neighbors instead of tyrants. There's plenty of water as well as beer for drinking. Traffic ain't bad. There are plenty of blue collar jobs that pay better than Arby's for the non-yuppies that aren't afraid to sweat a little. I run my own blue collar business and net more than the average middle manager in Chicago, so think about that while you sip your latte.

In other words, as long as a person is your exact twin, that person will be happy. Otherwise, you will drive around in your big truck eyeballing them and snapping at them and condescending to them and just being plain hateful. Your way or the highway, right? You think your perspective is a new one? It is the loudest one of all, as loud as a gunshot!

Men like you need to do volunteer work, work with veterans if you like, but also work with more diverse groups of unfortunates: terminally ill people or handicapped people or people with disabilities or abused women and children, and then you will see just how easy you have had it in life, and you will be ashamed of yourself for barking like an idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida