Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:08 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
The great thing is that all residents of voting age can vote and the majority will rule, as it should be.

Every vote counts! Register and vote! Some will vote for the tax, some will vote against it. Floridians will determine what they feel is best for them.

Macguy, Floridians are not stupid and they can make up their own mind. Name calling is just inapproapriate at any time.
You think so? There is a saying "Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers". In fact most politicians count on it, they love stupid people, it's their stock and trade.

People will vote for a movie star, an issue they know nothing about because their minister tells them to. Remember this guy he actually got re elected.

Marion Barry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

No, I don't care to have my fate in the hands of others but that is the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Other options have been thrown around:

*There was talk of increasing the current $25k exemption to $50k - this might have been a good idea, but it seems to have been scrapped.

*Sales tax increases are still a possibility, even if the amendment goes through. My county (Duval) is considering an increase in sales tax which would make us one of the highest (THE highest?) sales tax counties in Florida.

From a personal standpoint, I am experiencing a taste right now of what this future might be like. I have a modest investment home where my taxable value was increased by 10% this year......10%! Even with this so called "downturn" in real estate, the property appraiser is bumping me up 10% because I have no cap on that home (it's not my primary). At this rate, unless this home can be homesteaded by a primary owner - meaning I need to sell it to someone - the taxes are going to continue out of sight .

Macguy - you keep saying 'no big deal, with the new amendment you can still keep your SOH' and I know that is how the politicians want the amendment to APPEAR, but truly it's not that way - they want us to give up our SOH and as soon as you move, *poof* it's gone! So, it's really not much of a "choice" between SOH or Super exemption when you look at it that way, is it?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 PM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
For those with SOH who plan to vote against the Super Exemption please be aware that if the Super Exemption passes, you can keep your SOH as long as you live in that home. The Super exemption is no threat to your current SOH statis.

Plus if you move now to a new home if the super exemption passes, you will have a new homestead exemption of up to 195K instead of the measley 25K that is offered now. Your new taxes in the new home with the same value will be close to the same with the Super Exemption as when you had the SOH. Without the Super, your new taxes if you move will soar overnite.

This Super Exemption is a win/win situation for everybody who has a home.

The fear that property values will soar and the Super Exemption wont be so super anymore is misplaced. Property values are plunging. The price of a median priced home in many Florida counties have fallen 25 percent in this year alone.

And once they bottom out, they will be down a long long time. It will be 10 years or more before property values climb back to their 2005 peak so the likely hood of a Super Exemption being rendered inconsequential by inflated property values is remote.

Plus in the unlikely event that the Super passes and we have a new housing bubble then the voters can raise the Homestead exemption again to compensate.

And remember SOH people, your property taxes will ALWAYS go up, even if property values plunge as they are now doing. That is how the SOH statute is written. Your property taxes will ALWAYS go up.

If you have the Super, when property values fall as they are doing now, your property taxes will fall with them. Not so with the SOH.

Finally, I appeal to the SOH crowd on the grounds of FAIRNESS. Why should someone whose home whose has the same market value as yours pay 3 to 4 times the property taxes as you do?

If the Super Exemption passes your neighbors and fellow Floridians will get some urgently needed relief from abusive property taxes. And you keep your SOH protection like you have it now.

Vote for the Super Exemption in January. It is the right thing to do.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM

"From a personal standpoint, I am experiencing a taste right now of what this future might be like. I have a modest investment home where my taxable value was increased by 10% this year......10%! Even with this so called "downturn" in real estate, the property appraiser is bumping me up 10% because I have no cap on that home (it's not my primary). At this rate, unless this home can be homesteaded by a primary owner - meaning I need to sell it to someone - the taxes are going to continue out of sight ."

Riveree, I hear ya.

You can appeal that asesment. It is easy to do. Just find some comparables that showed 10 percent increase is not justifiable.

And when the dam breaks and real estate prices really plunge next year the property asesments will have to fall too. State law requires that the counties appraise properties at fair market value.

To quote from the Clay County TRIM notice:

"After noting this year's value and before calling for a review, ask yourself wether your property can be sold for the indicated market value. This is crucial because Florida law requires that properties be appraised at fair market value."

If the property appraiser wont give your relief then appeal to the Value adjustment Board. It only costs 15 dollars to file an appeal.

If thousands of property owners flooded the VAB with appeals, that would send a message too.

Time is of the essence. You only got two weeks more to make your move.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
And remember SOH people, your property taxes will ALWAYS go up, even if property values plunge as they are now doing. That is how the SOH statute is written. Your property taxes will ALWAYS go up.
Not so, my taxes in Pasco WENT DOWN this year - yes, they actually lowered my assessed value due to falling property values and my taxes went down several hundred dollars. So no, they do NOT always go up. I still favor SOH and will vote against super exemption. I do believe if the super passes, the counties will raise assessments, millages and fees or anything else they can. I just don't believe people are going to get the big break they think they will. When something seems like it's too good to be true.... it is.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Other options have been thrown around:

*There was talk of increasing the current $25k exemption to $50k - this might have been a good idea, but it seems to have been scrapped.

*Sales tax increases are still a possibility, even if the amendment goes through. My county (Duval) is considering an increase in sales tax which would make us one of the highest (THE highest?) sales tax counties in Florida.

From a personal standpoint, I am experiencing a taste right now of what this future might be like. I have a modest investment home where my taxable value was increased by 10% this year......10%! Even with this so called "downturn" in real estate, the property appraiser is bumping me up 10% because I have no cap on that home (it's not my primary). At this rate, unless this home can be homesteaded by a primary owner - meaning I need to sell it to someone - the taxes are going to continue out of sight .

Macguy - you keep saying 'no big deal, with the new amendment you can still keep your SOH' and I know that is how the politicians want the amendment to APPEAR, but truly it's not that way - they want us to give up our SOH and as soon as you move, *poof* it's gone! So, it's really not much of a "choice" between SOH or Super exemption when you look at it that way, is it?
That's the case anyway even today. Once you sell and move you start at a new current high tax base, so who cares about the SOH and the 3% protection, at that point because the tax is too high anyway. Only people with homes before the boom who will stay in the house forever benefit. There does need to be something done about investors though. It is as if they say,"If you can afford more then one house $crew you rich basta$d".

That is not the case a lot of people want to build a nice nest egg with real estate and it is almost discouraged as well as impossible. My dad bought houses like others buy a pair of shoes. He could never do it today. I have all but sold everything the last few years. The idea of a second home of vacation home is out of the reach for the average working person and that did not used to be the case.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
"From a personal standpoint, I am experiencing a taste right now of what this future might be like. I have a modest investment home where my taxable value was increased by 10% this year......10%! Even with this so called "downturn" in real estate, the property appraiser is bumping me up 10% because I have no cap on that home (it's not my primary). At this rate, unless this home can be homesteaded by a primary owner - meaning I need to sell it to someone - the taxes are going to continue out of sight ."

Riveree, I hear ya.

You can appeal that asesment. It is easy to do. Just find some comparables that showed 10 percent increase is not justifiable.
Thanks Wacahootaman . Unfortunately, the appraisers are right, in fact, the home is not even being taxed for it's full value.......what can I say? I'm good at picking locations ! That house has continued to increase in value, but I just didn't expect the appraisers to bump it up 10%, I just thought/hoped they'd leave it alone for a year or so . I'm just realizing that without a homestead, the taxes will get ridiculous in this house.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not so, my taxes in Pasco WENT DOWN this year - yes, they actually lowered my assessed value due to falling property values and my taxes went down several hundred dollars. So no, they do NOT always go up. I still favor SOH and will vote against super exemption. I do believe if the super passes, the counties will raise assessments, millages and fees or anything else they can. I just don't believe people are going to get the big break they think they will. When something seems like it's too good to be true.... it is.
All my assessments (market, taxable, etc.) went up, but due to the new formulation (ALL the Florida counties had to use the new formulation this year), my actual property taxes went down, a little, on my primary home.

To date, I've never experienced a drop in assessed value. I have experienced a drop in millage rate, and now I've experienced a drop in taxes due to formulation, but so far, I've never seen a drop is assessed value .

Glad I'm not the only one thinking "Super" isn't so super !

Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That's the case anyway even today. Once you sell and move you start at a new current high tax base, so who cares about the SOH and the 3% protection, at that point because the tax is too high anyway. Only people with homes before the boom who will stay in the house forever benefit. There does need to be something done about investors though. It is as if they say,"If you can afford more then one house $crew you rich basta$d".

That is not the case a lot of people want to build a nice nest egg with real estate and it is almost discouraged as well as impossible. My dad bought houses like others buy a pair of shoes. He could never do it today. I have all but sold everything the last few years. The idea of a second home of vacation home is out of the reach for the average working person and that did not used to be the case.
Well then you feel my pain, Macguy ! The house I speak up above, I really don't want to sell, and of course, there are many factors, but property tax reasons are on the short list of reasons why I think it's best I sell .

And you're totally right, the SOH is awful when you go to buy a new house - you end up paying more taxes than your new neighbors and that just doesn't seem fair. So why don't they just let people choose then? Why do away with SOH altogether? Why not let US make the choice when we move from one house to another which way we want to go? THAT'S what's bugging me about it. If they're taking away our choice, WHY are they taking away our choice? It's very suspect .

I love the home I live in now and feel very fortunate to have it, but I don't want to stay in my current home forever. In fact, my husband and I know where we want to end up eventually and we even drive through that neighborhood from time to time looking at the houses . Someday I'm going to be old (ugh! ) and it seems like SOH is the more sensible choice for long-term planning.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 AM

"Glad I'm not the only one thinking "Super" isn't so super !"

It would be super for millions of your neighbors who are being beaten down by abusive taxes on their homes.

And if your unlikely worst fears are realized in 20 years then the voters can remedy the new problems with a new supersize exemption.

And if the supersize exemption fails at the polls in January, you will lose too in the long run. The Tax Mafia will know they have beaten the taxpayer once again and they will be even harder to beat in the future.

And for all of your SOH people who will vote to deny your suffering neighbors tax relief, tax relief that you have already,.

Remember this: What goes around comes around.

The numbers of the SOH home owners who get a large tax break shrinks every year while the number of your neighbors who suffer under the abusive bubble taxes grows every year.

I myself, will vote to have all us homeowners in the same boat to share the tax burden equally, especially knowing that many SOH people voted against the super that would have provided me with desperately needed tax relief.

If the Super fails, the days of the SOH will be numbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida