U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM

20 posts, read 54,865 times

Advertisements

I am a single female with a job offer in Tallahassee. I would like to live somewhere "country" where my neighbors arent 5 feet from my house. I have done some looking around, and kinda like Crawfordville? Any opinions, good or bad? What kind of atmosphere goes along with Crawfordsville?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 38,120 times
Ashley,

I am in the same boat as you - single female with job offer in Tally - does not want to live in city- have thought about Crawfordville or Wakulla Springs. Have not received much "insider" info on either. Running out of time so probably will rent in city awhile and learn more from coworkers.

Sorry no info to share, wish someone with info will respond. PM me and we'll share what info we do have.

What part of Tally is your job gonna be in?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 16,881 times
Ashley & Karl,

I'm not sure how much you can afford or how big of a house you are looking at, but you should also consider something north of Tallahassee towards Havana. I think most of the lots in the Crawfordville area are closer to 1/2 acres. Depending on your income and number of people in your household, you might be eligible for some assistance programs.

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-05-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Request for DM not allowed

Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 38,120 times
yes, if at all possible I would want more breathing room than a half acre. Not a whole lot, 1 to 2 acres. Enough for gardening and my dogs.

On this forum tho bad things have been said about Havanna- mostly high crime, which would not be good since I will be alone. Are there towns near Tally towards Havanna that do not have Havanna's bad rep?

Thanks for the info as it is scary moving into a new area.
Karla

Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 AM

55 posts, read 345,905 times
Tallahassee is a beautiful city and, depending on where you are from, may seem "country" in its atmosphere. It has plenty of neighborhoods where you are more than 5 feet from your neighbor. It is nothing like South Florida. It also has a low crime rate.

If I were you I would investigate Tallahassee thoroughly before going out to the surrounding cities. There are plenty of rural areas like Crawfordville and Monticello, but you have to factor in commute time, social life, etc.

You may be surprised by what Tallahassee has to offer.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM

7,902 posts, read 5,513,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley6856 View Post
I am a single female with a job offer in Tallahassee. I would like to live somewhere "country" where my neighbors arent 5 feet from my house. I have done some looking around, and kinda like Crawfordville? Any opinions, good or bad? What kind of atmosphere goes along with Crawfordsville?
I live in Tallahassee and several of my co-workers commute from Crawfordville. Send me a PM and I could put you in touch with them, and they could give you all the details.

As others have said, it is not too difficult to live *in* Tallahassee and find what you are looking for. It is generally a good idea to rent here first for a while and just explore the place -- it is bigger than most people realize and there are lots of great neighborhoods hidden all over the place. I came up here for college originally, but I cannot say I really knew the place well until I had lived here for 10 years.

Your commute may also be an issue. Traffic problems are nothing compared to a major city like Miami or Tampa, but since the local culture here tends to value trees more than roads, congestion can be a problem, especially along the downtown -> Thomasville Road -> I-10 corridor (but locals know shortcuts around the traffic).

Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley6856 View Post
I live in Tallahassee and have for 30 years. Have watched Crawfordville grow from no traffic signals at all to at least 2 of them and a 24-hour Walmart. Life just does not get any better.

It is quite the growing area and now very busy. The road US319 connecting TLH with Crawfordville (20 miles) is only 4-laned for part of the way and it will be years till they finish widening it.

It is only 20 miles to the beach from Cville which can be a plus. Wakulla County, for which it is the county seat, is very sandy and planted in pine trees mostly.

Crawfordville is not an incorporated town, so there are not city taxes involved. It is the only unincorporated county seat in all of Florida.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM

295 posts, read 800,669 times
Default Crawfordville Insider

I actually live in Crawfordville - have for the last two years. It was one of the best decisions I made when I came to this area. It is small and quiet, yet is growing at a pretty decent rate. They already have the 'creature comfort' and necessity stores so you do not have to go into Tallahassee for anything you do not want to.
The only down side is the commute to work, but it is nowhere near as bad as any place I have been before (and I have travelled a lot in my life). There are three main routes into town from my house, which is about two miles east of the center of town. Most of the arteries from the north of Tallahassee only leave you with one very crowded option. I can get to Tallahassee in less than 15 minutes, and there are only one or two stop lights the entire trip.
There are a lot of homes to choose from in this area, and they even have apartments and townhomes for lease in Crawfordville too. It is a buyer's market right now too, so get it while you can (at %4.25 APR, it may not get any better). The place is quiet, and not too rural. There are even some good bars about ten minutes south of here (Panacea) that offer live music and dancing.
I hope this helped.
Moderator cut: advertising
Jim

Last edited by Keeper; 11-14-2007 at 09:21 PM..

Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM

22 posts, read 69,103 times
Jim,

I see you once drove in Manila. I am there now, where our three daughters are about to finish their undergrad work. The two youngest want to continue with medicine, and as long-time Floridians we are looking at FSU for their med school. We have owned in Jax since 1991, but it's time to head west.

Do you have a problem with big snakes there in Crawfordville? I once almost stepped on a 6' water moccasin right outside my door in Jax. (Our home is on a wildlife refuge, so I knew they were there, but still it was unsettling, to say the least.)

I was in the Navy but am a merchant mariner now. All I need for my job is an airport reasonably close by. My wife and eldest are RN's, so no problem there, I venture to say.

Anyway, snakes or not, we'll be coming by to have a look. Wakulla county sounds like what we are looking for, the NE side of town definitely not.

Regards,

Craig

Last edited by ctnski; 11-21-2007 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-22-2007, 09:47 AM

295 posts, read 800,669 times
Default snakes in the woods??

Craig,
Unfortunately you will find snakes no matter where you go in Florida (even in Miami). My neighbor is terrified of snakes, and beat three baby pine snakes (non-poisonous) to death over the past year and a half (ever hear a 35-year old man shriek like a teenage girl?). I have not seen any snakes personally, but have a few friends that have seen a wide variety of snakes ( including rattlers and water mocs). Most areas around the Tallahassee perimeter will be the same, as far as occasionally running into wildlife.
I thought I would attract some of the bad things (like snakes) when I built a pond with a waterfall in my back yard (which I left mostly wooded too). The sound of water splashing sometimes attracts animals. I get my fair share of neighborhood dogs, cats, squirrels, and birds, but haven't seen any snakes. I even have a few frogs that are permanent residents. I guess if there were water moccasins in the area, those frogs wouldn't be there very long. The snakes my neighbor sees are most likely because he has a shed that is sitting a couple of inches off the ground (and lives next to a lot of undeveloped farm land). Snakes like the cool shade that a trailer or shed provides. All of the people I know who saw snakes near their house live right next to undeveloped land too. If you live in a sub-division with developed property on all sides, you stand a better chance of not seeing snakes.

I am recently-retired Army myself. Manila was a good experience, but I am glad I am not there anymore. Those drivers could teach Americans a thing or two about 'controlled chaos' though.

Last edited by gumbyfly; 11-22-2007 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida