U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,258,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The only reason I would go to NC would be because I know I could buy a decent house on some land for a good price and be able to commute to my work in a reasonable time. Here in Miami, unless I hit the lotto, I can forget about a decent house on some land that is within a reasonable commute from my work.

Not in Asheville. You're looking at low 300k's for a nice, newer houe in a good local. You can buy a 1500 sq ft, older brick ranch house in a decent neighborhood in Asheville in the low 200k's, but it's a 1500 sq ft, older brick ranch house. Not knocking older, brick houses by any means, but Asheville is not cheap, and pay is not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Com, I had a feeling that you were going to miss FL. (I did after living in North GA for 4 years). The bare winters are hard to get used to (even though NGA is very mild compared to most of the US).

I do miss the spring and fall up there though, and the LOW cost of living in GA. FL is much more expensive for electricity and auto insurance. Our homeowner's is about the same, but that's rare. Property taxes were lower in our county in GA and IMO, you get a lot up there in terms of parks, county operated sports teams, and kiddie splash zones/ aquatic facilities. Here, you have to pay to go to the water parks, or have your own pool.

Gangs are everywhere in the USA. Most towns in the SE certainly have them. Our previous are of NE GA was infested. (big surprise that we somehow didn't find during our research phase)

We might move over to Seminole County, or we might move away from FL again for good. Right now, it's all about jobs and making sure we can pay the bills while we figure out what do do next. The areas of Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Lake Brantley, and maybe even Sorrento are on my list.

Home prices are on the rise again here. My area of South Lake County has seen prices increase 10% from this time last year. Inventory is getting tight (O-town has 5 months; 6 month supply is a healthy market, so it's turning into a seller's market for the right areas!)

Good luck on whatever you decide. PS- It's 81 here today and humid. Yesterday was not as humid and felt great!
That is key. Where you are. Had we bought our house in Oviedo or Maitland, or Winter Springs, I may have been a lot happier. I got a job offer in Asheville and forgot about everything else. I became obsessed with my career and I let a job offer influence my decision too much. Because guess what? The schools aren't better here, the crime is as high (comparing two similar sized cities), etc.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM

PS- MovedfromFL, Seminole Co is where we will be if we move back. Oviedo or Winter Springs in particular. And Lake Mary is great too, I just like the feel of Oviedo a little bit better than Lake Mary area.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM

8,063 posts, read 3,885,740 times
Well those who belly ack shame on you! Central Florida has been my home for along time. Things do change, but its up to Central Floridians to not tolerate bad behavier that compermised our home. I moved for better professional ops, but I live in Florida in my mind and have not accepted Phx as my new home. Just a 4 year work assignment.
One thing I have taken from Maricopa County(Phx AZ) is a good law enforcement goes a long way. Becuase of Sheriff Arpio (Sheriff Joe) we have improves law enforcement on Ilegle Immagration and the crime rate has dropped.
Orange Co Osceola and Seminal Sheriff's Dept. just need to crack down and not tolorate bad law breaking folks who ruin My Great Town Orlando Florida and the whole of Central Florda.
Although do not care for Arizona, and its time for me to go home, there is alot can be said to good old fashion law enforcement!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 PM

8,063 posts, read 3,885,740 times
Cost of living! We have it Goooooood here in Central Florida. We have not State Income tax, we have low cost Auto tags. We have places to go and we do have still even with as mixed as we are Southern Hospitality.
Every cost in AZ, State Income tax,Phx Food Tax 2%, sales tax for the Valley at a record 9.3%. They even tax your rental home. Food is taxed here. Auto Tags $300.00 oh yes emisssion test 25.00 bucks! I did not even speak about our brothers and sisters who escape from Ca. there is a new tax or fee every 5 minutes, from what I am told!(joke)

Frankly I rather e looking at Green and water than Desert!

So count your Blessing you still live in Florida!

Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,693,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Well those who belly ack shame on you! Central Florida has been my home for along time. Things do change, but its up to Central Floridians to not tolerate bad behavier that compermised our home. I moved for better professional ops, but I live in Florida in my mind and have not accepted Phx as my new home. Just a 4 year work assignment.
One thing I have taken from Maricopa County(Phx AZ) is a good law enforcement goes a long way. Becuase of Sheriff Arpio (Sheriff Joe) we have improves law enforcement on Ilegle Immagration and the crime rate has dropped.
Orange Co Osceola and Seminal Sheriff's Dept. just need to crack down and not tolorate bad law breaking folks who ruin My Great Town Orlando Florida and the whole of Central Florda.
Although do not care for Arizona, and its time for me to go home, there is alot can be said to good old fashion law enforcement!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,855,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Cost of living! We have it Goooooood here in Central Florida. We have not State Income tax, we have low cost Auto tags. We have places to go and we do have still even with as mixed as we are Southern Hospitality.
Every cost in AZ, State Income tax,Phx Food Tax 2%, sales tax for the Valley at a record 9.3%. They even tax your rental home. Food is taxed here. Auto Tags $300.00 oh yes emisssion test 25.00 bucks! I did not even speak about our brothers and sisters who escape from Ca. there is a new tax or fee every 5 minutes, from what I am told!(joke)

Frankly I rather e looking at Green and water than Desert!

So count your Blessing you still live in Florida!
How much is home owners insurance a year on average? One of my co-workers got a new bill, was $3500/year now it will be $9500. Not to mention he pay's $5K/year in property taxes.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,178,985 times
Such is our dilemma. We do not live in a huge luxury home - 2800 sq ft which includes our two car garage. No claims ever and our renewal policy is just under $11,000. We can not make sense in any of it. The discounts that were applied in previous years have been removed this year. We have hurrican impact windows, garage door .. You name it and now we're told that we lost the discount on our roof because the inspector saw that one (yes, that's right) was too short. Going to Citizens may reduce our insurance to $8,000. Now, my husband's cousin lives in an upsale area named Windmill Ranches in a 16,000 sq ft home and he is paying less than us. I can not make sense of any of this.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 AM

613 posts, read 650,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Such is our dilemma. We do not live in a huge luxury home - 2800 sq ft which includes our two car garage. No claims ever and our renewal policy is just under $11,000. We can not make sense in any of it. The discounts that were applied in previous years have been removed this year. We have hurrican impact windows, garage door .. You name it and now we're told that we lost the discount on our roof because the inspector saw that one (yes, that's right) was too short. Going to Citizens may reduce our insurance to $8,000. Now, my husband's cousin lives in an upsale area named Windmill Ranches in a 16,000 sq ft home and he is paying less than us. I can not make sense of any of this.
There are several factors at play, for instance things such as, distance from coastal waters, year it was built, and the type of roof can make a substantial difference in price.

I would guess, your husbandís cousin owns a newer home, with a better roof that is farther away from the coast. If your numbers are accurate, it is also likely that your husbandís cousin is going without certain coverageís that you have.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM

15,536 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Not in Asheville. You're looking at low 300k's for a nice, newer houe in a good local. You can buy a 1500 sq ft, older brick ranch house in a decent neighborhood in Asheville in the low 200k's, but it's a 1500 sq ft, older brick ranch house. Not knocking older, brick houses by any means, but Asheville is not cheap, and pay is not enough.
No, a person can in Asheville, but I was referring to the Raleigh area (from NC just so you know). Also do not have to fork out as much in property taxes and insurance, so all around property is cheaper. For what I would pay in Miami for a house, the extra costs adds a lot to the house, get a 200K house, paying for a 250K house.

And pay is not a variable I was using because Miami has a generally low pay scale and has the largest percentage of people paying over half of their income for housing in the US. I happen to make good money so it is not a concern to me, I just do not like to give it away by purchasing some over priced dump in a ghetto area, when for the same price I can get a nice house and some land in NC.

But I still like Miami better than NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or