U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,274,491 times
Reputation: 3380

Advertisements

^^^ I dont know much about Raleigh, but I thought it was just as expensive as Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,953,157 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
How much is home owners insurance a year on average? One of my co-workers got a new bill, was $3500/year now it will be $9500. Not to mention he pay's $5K/year in property taxes.
I just renewed my policy and it was $758 for $306,200 in coverage on the dwelling. The comprehensive sinkhole coverage would have made it $1353 more but I just had the engineers to test for sinkhole activity and they stated there was none.
And my taxes are $2318, I don't think that is high for a 5 bedroom home on 3.6 acres, built in 2005.

Your coworker probably lives in a home built before 2004 and did not take advantage of the free mitigation inspections they were doing a few years ago. He can still have someone come out and inspect, they then report the findings to the insurance company and he can get some good reductions in principal.

Some people will complain but not take simple steps to reduce their bills considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM
 
21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Reputation: 19655
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Well no place ever stays the same anyway. Most people move away from here because of all the Hispanics.
Many actually move away because of the people who have issues with Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 4,859,376 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I just renewed my policy and it was $758 for $306,200 in coverage on the dwelling. The comprehensive sinkhole coverage would have made it $1353 more but I just had the engineers to test for sinkhole activity and they stated there was none.
And my taxes are $2318, I don't think that is high for a 5 bedroom home on 3.6 acres, built in 2005.

Your coworker probably lives in a home built before 2004 and did not take advantage of the free mitigation inspections they were doing a few years ago. He can still have someone come out and inspect, they then report the findings to the insurance company and he can get some good reductions in principal.

Some people will complain but not take simple steps to reduce their bills considerably.
It is an older home, pre 2004 but they also live in a evacuation zone near the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM
 
8,063 posts, read 3,892,304 times
Reputation: 2452
As far as home insurance you may wish to look @ Tower Hill in TalahasseFl. We have be getting fair rates for years and they provide good service when one has to actually use their insurance.Any home owner can get discount based on your window replacement, type of roof and number of previous claims. I should know my home was wacked in Hurrican Charlie and Jeane.
My taxes in Ocseala County has not been over and beyond. They should be in line with current values or accessments from the county. Now if you think you are being over charged you ask the county for a new acessment. If you your tax bill was based on pre recession values you could be paying too much.
Here is Phx (On the list for top 10 houseing markets that crashes) Maricopa County had to look at tax rates based on home value.
So quite whinning and redirect you anger back to the county. We still live in the best State in the Union. Let me tell you I remind these West Coasters about how wonderful our state is, (Go Gators). Seriously we do take our state to heart and Florida is not programed like it is here in the Valley of the Sun!

Last edited by GHOSTRIDER AZ; 02-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling malfuction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM
 
21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Reputation: 19655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ I dont know much about Raleigh, but I thought it was just as expensive as Asheville.
I think they're much more similar now since the housing price "bubble" burst as it seems Asheville took the brunt of it. I remember checking prices there a few years ago thinking I could never really afford much there other than a small condo but now I'm comfortably in the single family home category should I ever decide to purchase there. The Triangle area (Raleigh) was always pretty much affordable to me it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,281,609 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think they're much more similar now since the housing price "bubble" burst as it seems Asheville took the brunt of it. I remember checking prices there a few years ago thinking I could never really afford much there other than a small condo but now I'm comfortably in the single family home category should I ever decide to purchase there. The Triangle area (Raleigh) was always pretty much affordable to me it seems.
Never much of a housing bus in Raleigh area. Tough to compare Raleigh and Ashville because they are nothing alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 AM
 
2 posts, read 6,151 times
Reputation: 17
I moved to Florida from NY and it seems so uncivilized here. The police will do nothing for nuisance complaints. Guess they can't be bothered with the paperwork. We have met some people who are very nice but others are backward with a staunch republican attitude in the extreme. ugh... Would like to move back where I came from but the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Tampa
444 posts, read 456,112 times
Reputation: 572
Guess you'll be leaving then. See ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill FL
552 posts, read 614,676 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatakh View Post
I moved to Florida from NY and it seems so uncivilized here. The police will do nothing for nuisance complaints. Guess they can't be bothered with the paperwork. We have met some people who are very nice but others are backward with a staunch republican attitude in the extreme. ugh... Would like to move back where I came from but the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.
Buh bye. One less liberal to vote away my freedom and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top