U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM

642 posts, read 863,958 times

Advertisements

now you know how FLORIDIANS feel when all the idiots say the COL is "so much lower in FL" but never mention the lack of decent jobs or the fact the entire "commerce" industry in FL is based on call centers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,856,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
now you know how FLORIDIANS feel when all the idiots say the COL is "so much lower in FL" but never mention the lack of decent jobs or the fact the entire "commerce" industry in FL is based on call centers
Glad your not wearing rose tinted sunglasses...amen to that!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,836,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Buh bye. One less liberal to vote away my freedom and money.
What makes you think the poster is a "liberal"? Because they are from New York? Florida is full of Liberals and there are more registered Democrats in the state than Republicans.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,025,851 times
Everyone is different. I left Florida. It's the only place I'd lived all my life, same island. I loved that island, but it wasn't what it was when I was little. I hated how crowded it was. I'd become intolerant of the heat and humidity and the bugs. When the housing boom hit we called it quits and packed up. We bought a house in VERY rural TN in the mountains. My parents and sister went to NC. My grandfather went to east TN between us all. Four of my five kids have come to TN and NC. We're all thrilled. I've gone back to visit Naples / Marco three times since I left. Every time my stress level sky rocketed, the road rage peaked and I was miserable. I hated the traffic, the congestion of humans, and OMG I thought the heat would kill me. Worst of all I hated seeing all the great places I knew as a child had turned into a concrete jungle. But that's just me. I like nature and wildlife and open spaces with few humans. Yes, times are harder in the mountains of TN and jobs are hard to come by, but things are cheaper and life is simpler and I love that. We went from way over $100 a year to register a vehicle to $24 and that included the tags and all. Our property tax on a 2550+ square foot 5 bedroom 2 bath 2 story brick house with garage on 7+ acres is just over $300 a year. My closest neighbors are cows. I put a shooting range in my back pasture and the neighbors thought it was the greatest idea. It even inspired one to put in a very high tech range on his. When there's an emergency here, people go door to door asking if help is needed. People help each other and there's a real sense of community. Something I'd not seen since I was a very young child.

That said, a wonderful friend of mine that I've known since I was four had moved away to NH. She hated it there after a while. She wound up moving back to Florida and at first was miserable and moved to Chattanooga. Was miserable there and went back to Florida and is now happy. But that's her. She's a people person. She loves bars and shopping. I hate those things. She loves beaches and heat and I detest it. I've got a beach across the highway from me on the river that I can go to and there is little humidity and temps this summer have rarely gotten up to the low 90s. I complain at 70 now! It's in the lower 60s here right now and my windows are open. For me, heaven. For my friend when she visited, absolute hell.

A lot of people leave an area without knowing much about where they're going. They have irrational expectations of where they're going and what life will be like, how it will change. And they don't want to make the changes to be happy. But if you thoroughly check into where you're going, if you're truly honest about yourself and what you want and what the area offers, you'll be happy. I've got friends in Asheville that are in heaven. They moved there from Florida. Would never go back. It doesn't mean Florida is a bad place. It just means it's not the right place for everyone. Right now, we're seriously considering a move to Maine. It's something we'd kicked around for years. We've visited and met a lot of people, checked out so many areas. I miss the water but personally could never go back to the heat and don't want to lose the mountains. Maine seems like it might be ideal for us. But it's not something we're jumping into with both feet before making some very serious decisions so that we'll know it's right for us.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
LOL. Yeah, because the GOP/Conservatives don't spend money and weren't what ran the country so deep into the red.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,793,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LOL. Yeah, because the GOP/Conservatives don't spend money and weren't what ran the country so deep into the red.
I believe the poster you are responding to is the same poster who was against the texting ban because it was taking away their personal freedom. Kinda lets you know what you're dealing with.

Last edited by Not_liking_FL; 08-18-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,276,458 times
Quote:
What is your effective tax rate? I doubt the white conservatives in SH are taking much of your money.

Last edited by Gatornation; 08-18-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,942,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What makes you think the poster is a "liberal"? Because they are from New York? Florida is full of Liberals and there are more registered Democrats in the state than Republicans.
Could have been this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatakh View Post
...We have met some people who are very nice but others are backward with a staunch republican attitude in the extreme. ugh...

Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM

642 posts, read 863,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Every time my stress level sky rocketed, the road rage peaked and I was miserable. I hated the traffic, the congestion of humans, and OMG I thought the heat would kill me. Worst of all I hated seeing all the great places I knew as a child had turned into a concrete jungle.
Love your entire post, but this part in particular stands out to me. It just seems the poverty line for my city (Tampa) just keeps expanding, they keep building new suburbs to get away from how crowded and run down it is and everything eventually turns to ruins like the plague. The road rage is almost intolerable, had a gun pulled on me last year for honking my horn because I thought the guy didnt see me when he went into my lane for no damn reason, WTF! It used to be that stuff only happened in places like Miami/Ft Lauderdale but now it seems everywhere in FL is like this.The neighborhood that I grew up in (in the 80s and 90s, gen Y here) looks like the "alternate" 1982 in back to the future when Biff took over LOL. Thats Florida though, when something gets old and ruined just build out. Sad to see really.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM

444 posts, read 455,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
There are good jobs down here. I take it you don't qualify for any of them, and would rather bellyache about it. Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or