U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,847,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I too would love to know...I know my hubby always looks and explores and for what he does there aren't any high paying jobs and if there are I'd love to know where..lol

He was making a nice living down in florida and got lucky but some of his former collegues who are still looking in South Florida and most of them have left the state for work, as they are consulting since the full time jobs are hard to come by for how much they were making....
Swim, I am lucky and have a good job for South Florida standards but I could make a lot more money elsewhere, but money is not always the root to happiness and I am not struggling financially so I deal with it. I know there are people down here that are doing good for themselves but overall many struggle even those that have a quality education with a BS or MS degree...many professions are not too in demand here, mainly in the STEM field which in some instances are highly paying/in demand jobs in other areas. Even if you get a job in your field, odds are the salary will be lower than the medians in the area. There just isn't enough competition here to pay a competitive wage and a lot of employers are aware of this, reasons being some companies I work with had salary freezes and 1% annual raises or no raises at all.

I have a lot of empathy for those who suffer in the job market here, my experiences have placed me in front of of a lot of people who say the direct opposite of those who say there is "good jobs" or "good paying", because that's not what I'm seeing in the field. Lot's of armchair experts basing their views on their own successes, some people work for the same company for years, never get laid off and have only seen their career path remain on an upward climb.

Overall though, there are a lot of people who express their disgust in the job market which from my view is accurate. A lot of these people have to realize two options, that is if it's even an option...if you find a job to suffer well here instead of someplace else you do not want to live, that is make sacrifices and budget yourself into making it work...if it's worth it to you and the sacrifices you may make....or pick-up and leave the place in your rear view mirror and never look back, because many do tend to look back and remain bitter on their results here. Many of these people probably loved the Florida lifestyle but could not make it work living on less or even finding a job period.

The job market here isn't so great, regardless what you read there are a lot of people out of work and more being let go everyday. I just was informed another one of my friends lost her job on Friday, she just told me today. She had a good job too, company is restructuring operations and she was on the hit list along with a few other people. She is optimistic about finding something else here, but I think at her age, 40 something, it's going to be hard in this poor market.

Another woman I know quite well, a waitress at restaurant I frequent, told me today the job market is terrible and that the area here is getting too crowded, too much competition and I quote "all the people displaced from Hurricane Sandy are moving here and taking all the jobs". I do not have any data to back this up, but it was an interesting observation, before I had to chance to ask her how she came up with this theory, she was interrupted by another customer and changed the subject. I never brought it up again because she was too busy.

Just wait and see what happens if Office Depot pulls it's HQ out of Boca and it's highly possible, a lot of people out of work thrown out to the Lions in a job market that will not support the demand. Many may get an option to move to Illinois, big change in weather and lifestyle. 2K people work there, not sure if they all will get relo, I highly doubt it and many will not go. Only thing that may keep them in Boca is the amount of money they will have to pay the State if they move, Digital Domain did not care but they filed bankruptcy.

I will be watching the news, that building will probably turn into a branch FAU or PBCC campus if so. We need more schools down here to educate people for jobs that will require them to move out of the area right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I think most of these people work at call centers and think 40k a year is a "great salary", the same ones who lost their *** in the real estate market..its easy to brag and fabricate things when you are behind a computer
$40K at a Call Center is quite high, did not think they pay that much. $40K in South Florida is around the average, which is not saying much. Palm Beach County has the highest weekly wage in the state but it's still below the national median which makes the COL in relation to that salary a total joke.

$40K after taxes is going to make it a Ramen Noodle night more often than what's average if your paying $1300/month rent.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,259,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
$40K at a Call Center is quite high, did not think they pay that much. $40K in South Florida is around the average, which is not saying much. Palm Beach County has the highest weekly wage in the state but it's still below the national median which makes the COL in relation to that salary a total joke.

$40K after taxes is going to make it a Ramen Noodle night more often than what's average if your paying $1300/month rent.
Not really. The median FAMILY income is right around 50k.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,226,481 times
Quote:
Where "down here"? What industry? What do you define as "good paying"?

Central FL. I work in real estate development.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Central FL. I work in real estate development.
Not an average job now is it?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not really. The median FAMILY income is right around 50k.
$50K/year working at a call center? That is a great paying job...

Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 PM

642 posts, read 862,149 times
Quote:

Average Annual Wage,
Florida 2011
Florida $41,570
Hillsborough $46,086

http://edr.state.fl.us/content/area-...llsborough.pdf

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,259,430 times
Quote:
I was responding to your 40k/Ramon noodle night comment.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM

4,791 posts, read 5,329,857 times
Quote:
It's not bad in the big picture.. but money would still be tight for a single, childless person.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,226,481 times
Quote:
Not an average job now is it?

I never said I had an average job. I know a lot of ppl that make more than me in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or