Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM

85 posts, read 566,891 times

Advertisements

As a Business owner in Waldo I thought maybe after the Chief of Waldo, (who I heard put Waldo on the map with AAA as the worst speed trap in the Country) retired the City of Waldo might be able build a new reputation and get out of the lime lite for having the worst speed trap so more Tourist would stop and spend there money here rather then avoiding this area.
Again as a Business owner in Waldo Florida every day I have people telling me either on the phone or in person wheather I am in my place of Business or out of town that they would rather not stop in Waldo because of the speed traps in the town. Which the people are talking about is the way the speed limit signs go from 65 mph to 55 mph then down 45 mph then back up to 55 mph then back down to 45 mph all within a half mile to 1 mile and in one enterance into the city it goes down to 35 mph. Yes if the people are speeding then they deserve a ticket.
I believe if the City or State would post the speed limit at 45 mph from the North end of town all the way through Waldo on Hwy 301 and post the speed limit on County Rd. 24 at 35 mph all the way through the city not as many people would be speeding through the city as then it would not be set up as a trap. I read an article in a news paper that said the new chief in Waldo that has been appointed and the city manager of Waldo are planning on continuing the ticket writing. I was told by one of the officers that all the officers are excepted to write atleast ten tickets a day.
Does anybody that lives in Florida know were one could start to have the speed limit lowered to the lowest speed Waldo has at all enteries and exits to Waldo and have that same speed all the way through the city so that the majority of the ticket writing could come to a stop and tourist might start stopping in Waldo again. Also Waldo possibily might start expanding rather then shrinking. I talk to residents here and they say there is no hope for Waldo as long as the city keeps going the way it is going.
Between the ? speed traps and the city not allowing businesses to build here (CVS and a Bank) were not allowed to build here in Waldo. I feel the city should welcome all the new businesses they could get rather then turning them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
As a Business owner in Waldo I thought maybe after the Chief of Waldo, (who I heard put Waldo on the map with AAA as the worst speed trap in the Country) retired the City of Waldo might be able build a new reputation and get out of the lime lite for having the worst speed trap so more Tourist would stop and spend there money here rather then avoiding this area.
Again as a Business owner in Waldo Florida every day I have people telling me either on the phone or in person wheather I am in my place of Business or out of town that they would rather not stop in Waldo because of the speed traps in the town. Which the people are talking about is the way the speed limit signs go from 65 mph to 55 mph then down 45 mph then back up to 55 mph then back down to 45 mph all within a half mile to 1 mile and in one enterance into the city it goes down to 35 mph. Yes if the people are speeding then they deserve a ticket.
I believe if the City or State would post the speed limit at 45 mph from the North end of town all the way through Waldo on Hwy 301 and post the speed limit on County Rd. 24 at 35 mph all the way through the city not as many people would be speeding through the city as then it would not be set up as a trap. I read an article in a news paper that said the new chief in Waldo that has been appointed and the city manager of Waldo are planning on continuing the ticket writing. I was told by one of the officers that all the officers are excepted to write atleast ten tickets a day.
Does anybody that lives in Florida know were one could start to have the speed limit lowered to the lowest speed Waldo has at all enteries and exits to Waldo and have that same speed all the way through the city so that the majority of the ticket writing could come to a stop and tourist might start stopping in Waldo again. Also Waldo possibily might start expanding rather then shrinking. I talk to residents here and they say there is no hope for Waldo as long as the city keeps going the way it is going.
Between the ? speed traps and the city not allowing businesses to build here (CVS and a Bank) were not allowed to build here in Waldo. I feel the city should welcome all the new businesses they could get rather then turning them down.
Wow - Waldo actually turned down new business? That is one sorry town, the worst in Florida, IMO. We were duped once many years ago to go check out the so-called "flea-market" - it was nothing but junk, the type I would throw away. There was NO place in town to eat, and then the "speed-trap" stuff.

I will never stop there again, however we have to drive through there on our way to I-95, and we always see the cops giving the poor unaware suckers tickets because they missed that last speed limit sign or were going 5 miles over the limit.

I don't know how you or anyone with a business makes it in that town, you have my sympathies.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,797 times
I recently received a ticket for going through a yellow light in Waldo. of course when we got to court the officer purured himself and stated I went through a standing red light. I feel bad for the business onwers in Waldo but I am starting a movement to boycott the City of Waldo and all businesses located in its jursidiction.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 29,885 times
If you have ever been to Florida, then you have been told to watch it around certain areas. Some are more infamous than others. Most notable is a city north of Gainesville and south of Lake City called Waldo. It is hard to miss. Yes, you can drive too fast and pass right by without noticing, but rarely will this be possible. For you see Waldo is known as a speed trap……Yet, not your ordinary speed trap…WHY? Because several miles before you reach Waldo, there is a huge billboard that clearly states; Warning: WALDO SPEEDTRAP. If this weren’t enough, just around the city limits there are white speed limit signs superimposed on larger bright yellow signs that signify the rapid reduction in speed allowed. From 65 to 55 to 45 to 35…within several hundred yards of each other. Now, you are doing 65mph still, or 49, or even 37 miles per hour while in this town, and you are pulled over and the police officer gives you a ticket. They say, “You are speeding, here’s your ticket, pay your fine”. Do you have anything that you can say in your defense? More than likely, NO.
O.K. let’s try something. Let’s take down all of the signs (from the billboard to the 55mph, 45mph, and the 35mph signs.) NO SIGNS! …Now, you are driving the same way. So when the police officer pulls you over and says “You are speeding, here’s your ticket, pay your fine”.

What!!!?
Wouldn’t that make you outraged that they could give you a ticket, yet you never knew what Waldo’s legal speed limit was?

Mod Delete

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-19-2008 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Off-topic to OP

Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
[

All Righty Then.

Thank you for playing "The Waldo Speedtrap Game" and please pick up your parting gifts behind door #1.

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-19-2008 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post and off-topic...

Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 29,885 times
Or according to Sunrico door #2...no game

Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractteamjax View Post
Or according to Sunrico door #2...no game
If the posts are rude and off-topic to the OP, yes no game. If we are providing information that is benefiting members and having a great time while doing so is game on.

Thanks..

Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,841 times
Default Waldo, Fl Speed Reduction

Before we even traveled through Waldo, Lawtey and Starke, we were told about watching the speed signs. Now that we have made the trip several times I can understand why the towns want everyone to reduce their speed. The roads leading into these towns have a speed limit of 65 mph and is well travelled by many trucks. If the mph speed wasn't it could be very dangerous for the residents who shop, work and walk around town. The speed trap sign is helpful to call attention to the reduction in speed.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 12,730 times
I have recieved 2 tickets in a month and a half in Waldo..one by the" arrogant and cocky Chief",quoate from Officer Juan Rodriguez Waldo PD. Perhaps the first one was a legitimate issue but the second was not! I watched my speed like a Waldo cop looking for out of state plates yet ,none the less Officier Rodriquez falsely wrote me . I will not roll over for this shake down which should be handled by the County DA. Or is this 1920 Chicago????

Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,751 times
Default So what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealin' Dave View Post
I have recieved 2 tickets in a month and a half in Waldo..one by the" arrogant and cocky Chief",quoate from Officer Juan Rodriguez Waldo PD. Perhaps the first one was a legitimate issue but the second was not! I watched my speed like a Waldo cop looking for out of state plates yet ,none the less Officier Rodriquez falsely wrote me . I will not roll over for this shake down which should be handled by the County DA. Or is this 1920 Chicago????
Dave - two of us traveling together in separate (out of state) vehicles got tickets in Waldo - completely ridiculous -- by Ofcr Juan Rodriquez. He let 2 other FL vehicles who were alongside doing the same speed go. SO WHAT NOW? Is it worth it to contest, do the Driver Improvement, or get an atty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida