U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,508 times

Advertisements

Hello-I have lived in Florida for 25 years and New York previously for 25. I cleaned out my shed and found my old N.Y. plate and put it on the front of my car.I just thought it was lucky- WNG777- winning and triple 7's Is this legal or do i have to remove it? Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,314,177 times
Umm yeah you can't put an old plate on your car

Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,251,905 times
It's perfectly legal to put any plate you want on the front of the car in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer123 View Post
Hello-I have lived in Florida for 25 years and New York previously for 25. I cleaned out my shed and found my old N.Y. plate and put it on the front of my car.I just thought it was lucky- WNG777- winning and triple 7's Is this legal or do i have to remove it? Thanks for any help

Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM

"No you can't have 2 different license plates on your vehicle. You will get a ticket for that. Any other type of logo or designer plate you can put on it."

"Generally states don't want other state's plates on your vehicle, front or back once you have transferred the car's registration to their state.

You can however put a Disneyworld plate there, or a Daytona Beach plate there, or a Hotsy or whatever you wish plate there."

"As already stated you can't use your Ohio plate. I was in the same boat having recently moved to Florida from Missouri. I removed the front license plate frame and bracket and plugged the holes with body putty. A little touchup paint and the old holes are just about invisible."

Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,491,337 times
Novelty plates are ok but i believe you'll get a ticket using a plate from another state on the front. I don't know how much they enforce it though.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,251,905 times
who are you quoting? Call FHP and ask. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
"No you can't have 2 different license plates on your vehicle. You will get a ticket for that. Any other type of logo or designer plate you can put on it."

"Generally states don't want other state's plates on your vehicle, front or back once you have transferred the car's registration to their state.

You can however put a Disneyworld plate there, or a Daytona Beach plate there, or a Hotsy or whatever you wish plate there."

"As already stated you can't use your Ohio plate. I was in the same boat having recently moved to Florida from Missouri. I removed the front license plate frame and bracket and plugged the holes with body putty. A little touchup paint and the old holes are just about invisible."

Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
who are you quoting? Call FHP and ask. Let me know.
Everyone else who already looked it up on-line. I doubt they enforce it, but it's still something stupid that's not worth taking the chance of someone hassling you

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,187,465 times
I had a US Virgin Island plate on the front of my car for years. It was pretty obvious that it was not an "active" plate with the 75 on the corner. Never had a problem. Pretty sure you can put whatever you want in the front. If its the old style NY plate and looks nothing like the new one or the old blue and white one I wouldn't worry about it. If the plate is 25years old it should be fine.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,676,296 times
It shouldn't be allowed but you do see it.

A plate is on a car for identification purposes not to tell people what state you used to live in. In the event of a hit and run, a child being abucted, etc. it is important to have the correct and accurate information.

For example if you someone being forced into a car and you call the police it would be nice to have correct and current information. If you only see the front of the car with a NY plate that is the information you will give the police.

You shouldn't have to think "oh that might be an old plate, let me see if I can get closer and look around the back"....LOL.

The plate is there to ID the car. No one cares if you're from NY.

You're in FL now, all you should have is a FL plate.

If you feel the need to advertise what state you came from then get an I Love NY bumper sticker.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,187,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It shouldn't be allowed but you do see it.

A plate is on a car for identification purposes not to tell people what state you used to live in. In the event of a hit and run, a child being abucted, etc. it is important to have the correct and accurate information.

For example if you someone being forced into a car and you call the police it would be nice to have correct and current information. If you only see the front of the car with a NY plate that is the information you will give the police.

You shouldn't have to think "oh that might be an old plate, let me see if I can get closer and look around the back"....LOL.

The plate is there to ID the car. No one cares if you're from NY.

You're in FL now, all you should have is a FL plate.

If you feel the need to advertise what state you came from then get an I Love NY bumper sticker.
Your logic failed there. What is better tell the cops all I saw was a blue Nissan, I didn't see the back of the car or tell the cops I saw a blue Nissan with an old looking NY state plate in the front. Or a blue Nissan with a ny plate in front and a fl plate in the back.

Again I had an old virgin islands plate and I know someone who had an old Wyoming plate in the front of their car, these plates were obviously old. You will see cars with heat plates or UF places or European type plates in the front. As long as its nothing new or trying to look active you should be fine. Worst thing that happens an officer tells you, you can't have it big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida