U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
 
378 posts, read 430,277 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Forbes Magazine just named Miami as the "most miserable" city to live in the US. West Palm Beach was named the #3 worst. They claim the place is beautiful IF you are the 1% that can afford to live in the clean safe areas. For the other 99%, these cities are miserable because of high cost, foreclosures, crime, joblessness, and congestion. St Petersburg, Tampa, Orlando and Florida in general were named as among the "saddest Cities" in the US by Men's Health Magazine because of unusually high rates of suicide, anti depressant prescriptions issued and surveys showing more people feeling depressed.

On the other hand Cape Coral was named #2 "best place to retire" in the US by a major magazine. Sarasota also recently was named by AARP as a "best (sunny) place to retire". New College in Sarasota was named the #3 best value in public colleges in the US by The Princeton Review and USA Today. There have been other mentions both positive and negative but the point is to use both the City-Data Forum AND the C-D factual side showing the stats for any area you are thinking of moving to. Everyone moves to Florida hoping it will improve their life, but moving to the wrong place could mean you could end up miserable and depressed instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
 
8,425 posts, read 5,162,070 times
Reputation: 3510
Any place in the world could be the wrong place for a person and they will end up miserable and depressed instead. Where one lives is an individual choice in life sometimes made more than once or twice.

Florida is no different than any place else on the planet as far as life goes. We live, we shop, we work, we enjoy recreational activities. This happens everywhere. Florida is different than a lot of places, but also the same as a lot of places.

If a person lives in a world of negativity, it does not matter where they decide to call home, they are going to be miserable.

Florida has nice weather most of the year, lots of recreational activities, lots of natural wonders to enjoy. There are other positives to living in FL but one persons positive can be another's negative.

"Everyone moves to Florida hoping it will improve their life". That's one heck of blanket statement.
I think anyone relocates for a change in the lives and not hoping it will improve their life would be
ridiculous. There is nothing anywhere that will improve your life. That is something an individual has to do. I live in a clean safe area and I certainly am not part of any 1 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach - Flamingo Park
14,712 posts, read 16,286,434 times
Reputation: 6301
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Forbes Magazine just named Miami as the "most miserable" city to live in the US. West Palm Beach was named the #3 worst. They claim the place is beautiful IF you are the 1% that can afford to live in the clean safe areas. For the other 99%, these cities are miserable because of high cost, foreclosures, crime, joblessness, and congestion. St Petersburg, Tampa, Orlando and Florida in general were named as among the "saddest Cities" in the US by Men's Health Magazine because of unusually high rates of suicide, anti depressant prescriptions issued and surveys showing more people feeling depressed.

On the other hand Cape Coral was named #2 "best place to retire" in the US by a major magazine. Sarasota also recently was named by AARP as a "best (sunny) place to retire". New College in Sarasota was named the #3 best value in public colleges in the US by The Princeton Review and USA Today. There have been other mentions both positive and negative but the point is to use both the City-Data Forum AND the C-D factual side showing the stats for any area you are thinking of moving to. Everyone moves to Florida hoping it will improve their life, but moving to the wrong place could mean you could end up miserable and depressed instead.

I live in West Palm. You don't have to be anywhere near the 1% to live in a good, safe area with lots to do and amenities in Palm Beach County. I consider my neighborhood to be a "good" neighborhood... close to downtown WPB (with tons of restaurants, bars, theaters, concert venues, clubs and retail shopping). I'm a few blocks from the intracoastal and 2 miles from the beach. You can find homes in my neighborhood ranging in price from 150k or less, to 600k+.

I would poke my eyes out before voluntarily moving to some sprawling, lifeless "safe" bedroom community because some magazine told me I would be happier there than where I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Naples
2,247 posts, read 2,489,813 times
Reputation: 3622
I can see miami being miserable, honestlyI hate it there. Like just visiting or having to stay overnight I dread it with my entire being so does my husband. I live right across the alley and its taken me almost my whole life but I'm finally really liking where I live (Naples). I'm def not rich I do live near the beach so thats a plus and with more and more things being built for family I'm finally looking around thinking "okay maybe this isn't so bad afterall' . I think some of it is mental some of it is your surrounds we can all find something to hate about every place no doubt but if you're not happy you won't be happy no matter where you live. (Cept Miami ick! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
 
10,302 posts, read 16,859,064 times
Reputation: 8207
I don't know why anyone would really care what Forbes or Men's Health or any other publication/person/blog that creates these lists has to say. Cape Coral "best place to retire?" Is that a joke?

Anyway, as others have said, best place for anyone varies by each individual. We currently live in Sarasota, and that is the best place for us, at least for now, maybe forever. Yea, and we also abhor Miami. But I'm sure plenty of people love it.

Just glad we don't all want to live in the same place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM
 
4,885 posts, read 4,406,999 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Forbes Magazine just named Miami as the "most miserable" city to live in the US. West Palm Beach was named the #3 worst. They claim the place is beautiful IF you are the 1% that can afford to live in the clean safe areas. For the other 99%, these cities are miserable because of high cost, foreclosures, crime, joblessness, and congestion. St Petersburg, Tampa, Orlando and Florida in general were named as among the "saddest Cities" in the US by Men's Health Magazine because of unusually high rates of suicide, anti depressant prescriptions issued and surveys showing more people feeling depressed.

On the other hand Cape Coral was named #2 "best place to retire" in the US by a major magazine. Sarasota also recently was named by AARP as a "best (sunny) place to retire". New College in Sarasota was named the #3 best value in public colleges in the US by The Princeton Review and USA Today. There have been other mentions both positive and negative but the point is to use both the City-Data Forum AND the C-D factual side showing the stats for any area you are thinking of moving to. Everyone moves to Florida hoping it will improve their life, but moving to the wrong place could mean you could end up miserable and depressed instead.
Orlando a "sad city"?

Right

Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else - USATODAY.com


Quote:
Percentage of Americans who say they want to live in this city or metropolitan area:

Most popular Least popular

Denver: 43% Detroit: 8%

San Diego: 40% Cleveland: 10%

Seattle: 38% Cincinnati: 13%

Orlando: 34% Kansas City: 15%

Tampa: 34% Minneapolis: 16%

San Francisco: 34% Pittsburgh: 17%

Source: Pew Research Center
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...place-you-live

Quote:
Nearly half of those surveyed said they wish they were living somewhere else. Of those who would move to a city, Orlando ranked fourth, trailing Denver, San Diego, Seattle, and tied with Tampa and San Francisco.

"Orlando fits a profile for popular cities," said Rich Morin, senior editor for the Pew report. "It's in the South, and we've found the top cities were almost exclusively from the South and the West. It has a casual lifestyle, relatively high growth and warm weather."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
 
8,425 posts, read 5,162,070 times
Reputation: 3510
It amazes me that some folks thrive on negativity. They dig it up, post it, thrive on it. No wonder they are unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: The O
2,303 posts, read 2,415,154 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know why anyone would really care what Forbes or Men's Health or any other publication/person/blog that creates these lists has to say. Cape Coral "best place to retire?" Is that a joke?

Anyway, as others have said, best place for anyone varies by each individual. We currently live in Sarasota, and that is the best place for us, at least for now, maybe forever. Yea, and we also abhor Miami. But I'm sure plenty of people love it.

Just glad we don't all want to live in the same place!

Exactly. it amuses me how easy people buy into "Printed Material" but won't read "Fine Print"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
 
2,117 posts, read 568,144 times
Reputation: 664
Having moved away due to business Opts. I Miss Orlando Dearly. Sometimes you got to move away for a time to have a Greater apriecaition of where one comes from. Everytime I fly home to see my home and vsit my fam. Its a great feeling. Mywife and went to Daytona Bch and i was in heaven watching the surf! Not to mention those mighty fine adults drinks in the near by hotel Bch clubs.

We are truely afrendly state compared to some of the states posted. When I was home I digged folks just saying "Good Morning". People don't do that here in PHX or Ca. Just look @ you like you are from Mars!
The other factor is we are still in this horrible recession and alot people are still unemployed or under employed. Its all over right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
 
378 posts, read 430,277 times
Reputation: 274
A couple of points
1) Those "best and worst places" lists are helpful to people thinking of moving to Florida, which is probably the group that makes up most of the people on this forum. The fact that there are more lists every year and they rank high on the websites "most viewed list" shows they are popular.
2) Cape Coral was the highest ranked city in FL on any of the positive lists last year (#2 best places to retire in the US) and real estate prices have increased higher & faster there than any other area in Florida, in part because of that article. The rest of Florida is just stabilizing or still decreasing slightly although I expect that to improve in most of FL by the end of this year.
3) The lists are based on facts. If the stats show a city has more crime, foreclosures, unemployment, suicides, etc than other places in FL and the US, that is something that people should know. The lists help people to decide what to rule out and what to take a closer look at without having to compare hundreds of towns themselves.

If you're happy with where you live and don't plan on moving, then of course the lists may not be helpful to you. In fact if you are trying to sell homes in an area named the worst, the list would be anything but helpful. They are valuable to people considering a move. Reporting facts is not being negative, but the stats on some of these cities unfortunately is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top