U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 AM

185 posts, read 272,720 times

Advertisements

I'll get straight to the point and facts so hopefully you wonderful people can help me!

Im a 27 yr old single female
Currently live in Charlotte,NC, Atlanta native
I have a small 11 lb dog and am looking to possibly get another small dog before the move
I will be able to take my current job (Information Security Analyst) with me and work remotely in FL.
I have two cars- One paid for and one I currently just purchased and am paying monthly for. This is my only debt.
Currently renting a 1 bd/ 1 bt ,in a mid rise, city style apartment in S Charlotte for under $900 with Cable and Internet included. Valet trash as well.

With that said, I am wanting to relocate to Florida in May of this year. Originally I thought Tampa would be where I might rest my head for a while but the major thing that has me hesitant and has me ultimately asking for help is, JOBS!

I know thats the talk of the nation right now but from everything I've been reading on here jobs/careers in the IT world no matter where you fall in the spectrum are little to none in Tampa. While I'm thankful I can keep my current job its time for me to move on from this position and I don't want to move to a city that has nothing for me to move on and on up the ladder too!

So Im asking you all first and foremost, what city/cities in FL have the most to offer right now career wise for those in the I.T. profession???

Next, in these same cities how are the following:

The nightlife- both on the weekend and after work (happy hour time)
Im not a club or party person but it would be nice to be around a somewhat lively, walkable atmosphere .

Are there any dog parks and is the city and its establishments pet friendly?

Whats the average rent for a comparable apartment to the one Im currently in?

And property or ad vulorem taxes/ license and registration, and insurance for vehicles, whats that looking like as well.

I don't want to be foolish and pick a city for vain reasons then get stuck up the creek. So picking a city that will allow me to adv to the next level in my career and land a job a few within a few months of me relocating is my top priority.

I can be flexible with these but I would like to be near the water if possible or a very short drive from it. Decent shopping, restaurants and activities like festivals and such throughout the year are important to me. I also do not want to live in a retirement city.

I hope I didn't lose anyone or babble on too much. But I believe in doing through research and researching things to the nth degree. After all I will be relocating without knowing a soul depending on which cities you all recommend for me. (Though I'm quite fine not know anyone, i can be pretty introverted)

I thank you all in advance for your much needed help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM

21,114 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Fort Lauderdale would be a good option as it's central to a pretty decent IT community and arguably the largest in Florida from my understanding. Check out the suburb of Delray Beach which has a thriving downtown area filled with restaurants, nightlife and shopping. There are a number of nearby walkable rental options as well. The city has a dog park too. Apartments similar to yours in Charlotte would run $1100 just outside of the downtown area (west of I-95) on up to $1500-$1700 (or much more) in the heart of downtown. It costs $127.60 to register a car in Florida and insurance runs around $1500-$2000 per year on average and varies on age, driving record and type of car obviously.

Delray Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dog Park At Lake Ida (http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/dogparks/lakeida/ - broken link)
Delray Beach | Florida Vacation, Tourism, Travel & Entertainment Information - VISITFLORIDA.com

Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Thank you Kyle!

This is excellent information and exactly what Im looking for!

If true all of it sounds pretty good minus the car insurance! My god, i don't pay that much now and I was complaining about the cost when I first moved here! Im paying under $600 for two cars with full coverage, towing, low deductibles ,the works.

Hmmm if need be I may just reregister back in GA.

Anyone else?????

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM

161 posts, read 345,787 times
It cost me over $400 to transfer my car to FL. which talking to others is the norm. 127.60 is if the car is already titled in Fl. My insurance actually went down and I pay about 900 a year on a 09 Dodge Charger. If you live full time in FL you need to have your car registered here and have Fl insurance.

Last edited by DodgeGirl78; 02-09-2012 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
It cost me over $400 to transfer my car to FL. which talking to others is the norm. 127.60 is if the car is already titled in Fl. My insurance actually went down and I pay about 900 a year on a 09 Dodge Charger. If you live full time in FL you need to have your car registered here and have Fl insurance.
That pretty much the golden rule for every state, the 90 day or else rule.

I didn't switch my insurance over until almost 3 years from GA to NC.

Im also ust realizing that you all are referring to 12 months as opposed to 6 months

I can breathe easy now, I though you all meant that was the average cost every six months.
Thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,939,092 times
tampa's I.T. market is picking up a little bit. last year it was in the tank.

infosec analyst is a pretty transferable skill these days, especially in a town with a military presence like tampa.

have you checked the job sites? indeed.com, techusa.net, etc?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
You may have mis understood the situation. There is a one time impact fee when you re-title/register the vehicle in FL. The yearly registration fees are much much less than that. You can check the actual rates and fees on the the FL D M V website...

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
That pretty much the golden rule for every state, the 90 day or else rule.

I didn't switch my insurance over until almost 3 years from GA to NC.

Im also ust realizing that you all are referring to 12 months as opposed to 6 months

I can breathe easy now, I though you all meant that was the average cost every six months.
Thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 PM

22 posts, read 53,952 times
If you have a job where you currently live at don't relocate to Florida because there job market is still stuck in the 1970's as far as wages are concerned. But i notice you did say something about being in the I. T. business so maybe you have a good shot, if not stay where your at Florida is for rich or retired folks!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
tampa's I.T. market is picking up a little bit. last year it was in the tank.

infosec analyst is a pretty transferable skill these days, especially in a town with a military presence like tampa.

have you checked the job sites? indeed.com, techusa.net, etc?
Yes I have checked indeed, craig's, linked in and ladders. Lots of postings out there but I know looks can be deceiving

However I will say that upon doing several search Tampa always came up as the one with the most positions that meet all of my criteria (i.e. salary , location , req skills etc) So I will count that as promising.

Ive heard a lot of talk since I first started considering moving over a year ago along with a few articles that mentioned highly skilled workers were hard to find and that some companies have had jobs go in filled or have had to look outside the state and lure people away who already had jobs else were.
Again this is just what Ive seen in articles and heard so don't shoot the messenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You may have mis understood the situation. There is a one time impact fee when you re-title/register the vehicle in FL. The yearly registration fees are much much less than that. You can check the actual rates and fees on the the FL D M V website...

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Yes I completely misunderstood. Thou should not type, and attempt to read while exhausted lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh740 View Post
If you have a job where you currently live at don't relocate to Florida because there job market is still stuck in the 1970's as far as wages are concerned. But i notice you did say something about being in the I. T. business so maybe you have a good shot, if not stay where your at Florida is for rich or retired folks!
Despite that I will be moving lol. Im done with this city and as I stated Im blessed to be able to keep my current job and take it with me to FL.

I know things may seem or even be bleak but Im willing to take the minor risk since currently job won't be an issue. That coupled with the fact that Im young, with no baggage, great credit and only car debt, I will step out on faith and work on my part

I appreciate everyones input! Keep it coming

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 AM

15,114 posts, read 31,005,993 times
I agree that Tampa might be a great option for you, and cost of living will be overall a lot less than south Florida. I also agree that if you have in-demand skills, you will probably have a good chance of securing good employment, especially in a city like Tampa.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or