U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,141,355 times
Daytona , simply because Gainesville is in the middle of the state next to nothing and it's boring as hell. Nothing to do there. Daytona for the sake of being sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,123,935 times
This statistic usually tells you a lot.

For population 25 years and over in Daytona Beach:

High school or higher: 79.6%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.8%
Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%

For population 25 years and over in Gainesville:

High school or higher: 87.8%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 42.8%
Graduate or professional degree: 22.2%

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM

876 posts, read 605,768 times
Lived in G'ville, lived in Cocoa (one county south) - no comparison, Hogtown every time.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM

125 posts, read 176,958 times
This is going to sound harsh but....to me Daytona Beach has gone from bad to worse over the past 20 years; trashy (as someone wrote) is right on the money esp on the weekends. If you like the general area I'd go to Ormond Beach or move South of Daytona.

What were your thoughts on G'ville? I spent the day there and am considering a move in that direction. Santa Fe college into UF (or another 4 yr school). Looking for clean, not all night bar hopping but culture, community, arts, entertainment and friendly and safe. Any thoughts?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:28 PM

876 posts, read 605,768 times
G'ville has those things and more, Floridaherbgirl, but for those considering a move there without going to UF, unless you drink the Kool-Aid, I would find it hard to enjoy. (I'm a Gator, so it was no problem )

Old 05-27-2012, 11:53 PM

64 posts, read 65,101 times
I've resided in both cities.

G/ville is great if you're a kid or young family with little means or a Professor set in his ways. Once you hit 30 years if age, life slows down in G/ville. And by 40 if you're not married with children, you're feeling like life passed you by even though 75% of all your college buddies are unhappily married. Then kids make folks settle because you're now stuck. As a 40+ your old man living in G/ville, I found life very easy going. I was in my own world because I was to old to socialize with college people and all my buddies had married and had kids meaning they had little time to to socialize. But as a single person, it's easy to feel isolated. Daytona on the other hand if you're over 40 and have the means [ $$ ] to live on the Beach in The Shores or Ponce Inlet or up in Ormond By The Sea, then life * I think * is better. However, you're faced with the same isolation in some ways because the areas I listed in Volusia County are mainly retirement havens or just plain wealthy people from up north US. However, as a 40+ single male, I'd rather be around senior citizens than college aged people because I always learn something new from older people.

While living in G/ville, I remember jetting up to Bento Sushi on my Zuma on a Saturday night [ the shopping strip on Newberry Rd behind FedEx/Kinkos ] and walk in and I'm the oldest dude there by 25 years. It makes you feel like you're * lesser than * being around college kids in a college town 24/7. It gets old ……

In Volusia County, I resided in the Peninsula Condo, 8th floor. It was great. Nice mature folks, no rowdy kids, very little traffic and walked every day on the Beach. On the negative side, Daytona was hit bad by the 2008 Recession and more trashy people moved in to Daytona proper or downtown …. But Gainesville seems trashy too ........ I would chose Volusia County over G/ville because if you have the mean$ to live in Ponce Inlet or The Shores, or Port Orange or Ormond By The Sea, and live well - that’s a pretty good lifestyle, and the Beach is great. You get a constant breeze / wind living on the Beach.

G/ville’s summers have NO wind and being outdoors is like sitting in a hot Sauna from June to August.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Peace

Last edited by Chester Foster; 05-28-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM

318 posts, read 546,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh ... Daytona has a beach, Gainesville does not? Other than that i think Daytona is pretty dreadful -- old, seedy, trashy, redneck, rough. I know people who live in the Daytona area (Ormond Beach, New Smyrna) that like it OK but the city of Daytona itself is probably Florida's least desirable and most depressing beach community -- and that says a ton. If you're a Gators fan just stick to G'ville.
Yeah, pretty much this. Gainesville is a nice college town with very good amenities for the size. We couldn't wait to leave after college and now only the weather holds us from moving back and raising our family there.

Daytona...ugh. Newsboy covered it pretty well. I'm not a fan of the "Space Coast" whatsoever. To me, it's always looked gaudy and trashy. There are nice areas like Merritt Island, but for the most part, Daytona, Cocoa Beach and that whole area is pretty awful.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Chester Foster...okay, now more confused =/ at the moment.
I am attending school, going into the nursing program and would like to get my BSN at Santa Fe and my Masters at UF. I have two sons, one going into dual enrollment and one in college.
I am on a tight budget, providing for a roof over the two and sometimes the three of us.
I like the Millhopper area and West of 75; I loved the area of 241 and exit 390 (where Santa Fe is). But, so far think I'll have a hard time finding something I really want to live in within the budget I have set for myself. I live in a retirement area now, and having the energy of a college town is appealing (I lived in Madison, WI many years ago and loved it) but I am divorced and dont' want to feel like I am hangin out with the kids all the time. So...we'll see...more posts and more trips to G'ville and hopefully it'll fall into place. We are looking for an area with recreation and outdoor opportunities, to live in a lower crime area and have both young and old with college opportunities...what a difficult thing to find in Florida!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:52 AM

Default Move update..

I did move to G'ville last August. I live on the West side; like the trails and convenience to Santa Fe. Not thrilled about the area, there is an attitude of entitlement from young to old. I'll have to see if my sons decide this is where they want to be. I like the High Springs area if I want to stay in close proximity to G'ville. I am a Gulf Coast girl and would like to get closer to water AND would like to find a friendly old Florida kind of town but I am not sure that even exists any more. I did go up for a few days to Amelia Island which I liked, but still not friendly enough for me. Right now pushing through a couple of degrees and content right now, but the long haul I am periodically trying to find where to move to for a perm home. Thanks for all the input!

Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 AM

3,694 posts, read 7,464,961 times
THx for the update, always good to hear. I didnt really have an opinion as I've never been to Gainesville but am somewhat familiar w/ DB and the surrounding area and like it (although there's pluses and negatives everywhere). Best of luck in your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida