U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM

499 posts, read 1,591,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisismoving View Post
Daytonadewd - great response. Thank you for the informative message!

I am a pretty laid back guy. I don't watch a lot of football....in fact, I'm not a football fan at all. I enjoy being around people who "choose to live outside the matrix", but I live a fairly conventional lifestyle.

However, I want to ask you this - as a single guy who is used to dating attractive women, I'm curious about what kinds of dating opportunities Daytona has vs. Gainesville.

According to city-data, both cities have identical median ages (38.7 years). What is the outlook for a single professional who is very well educated in Gainesville vs. Daytona Beach?

in other words, which area has the better "scenery", in your opinion?
I'd be more concerned about adjusting from the vast options available to you in JAX to these smaller communities. You're moving from a place that just has "more" of everything, because if it's size: more people, opportunities, options, etc.

IMHO, most highly educated women (in both communities), either attending grad school or working in the few select jobs in their field:
  • Have little time due to career focus
  • Most cases already married
  • Single moms supporting their kids
  • Leaving the area at some point for greener pastures for career options
My suggestion is you get involved by volunteering, joining interest groups, taking classes/workshops, etc. You'd meet these women either in these places or developing a network of friends from there who do.

Florida's known for tourists, visiting relatives/friends and professional conventions with these women always passing through town.

Also, couldn't find the Facebook link, but you can get through to it from here for Daytona Young Professionals Group that you can start networking and asking more questions from your peers already living here:
Daytona YPG

I'm sure there's a similar counterpart in Gainesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 14,301 times
Default love daytona

Of course there are issues with any city but I have been in Gainesville and lived in Daytona for 8 yrs and loved it...1 block from the beach ...it was great to hear and smell the sea breeze at night from my patio....only big problem with Florida and this is all of Florida is the crime rate...murders mostly. In 8 yrs that I lived there ...many murders right on the beach side. I had a big 4bdrm house with bars on windows and doors so I felt safe...If I wasnt barred in at night I wouldnt live there.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM

2,932 posts, read 3,982,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan374 View Post
Of course there are issues with any city but I have been in Gainesville and lived in Daytona for 8 yrs and loved it...1 block from the beach ...it was great to hear and smell the sea breeze at night from my patio....only big problem with Florida and this is all of Florida is the crime rate...murders mostly. In 8 yrs that I lived there ...many murders right on the beach side. I had a big 4bdrm house with bars on windows and doors so I felt safe...If I wasnt barred in at night I wouldnt live there.
I wouldn't say ALL of Florida

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM

109 posts, read 265,832 times
hard to believe murders on the beach at daytona ? can u proove it ?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 14,301 times
not the beach...the beach side......but i still love it there...where else can you live that close to the beach and be middle class or lower..in income....

Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM

496 posts, read 612,725 times
I lived previously near Daytona, and seriously looked at Gainesville a few years ago. Here is an addition or so from Daytonadewd

Gainesville has very high taxes. The UF is tax exempt and they get money from everyone else to make up for it, and UF is half of Gainesville. Just outside Gainesville it is a bit southern. There are better restaurants in Gainesville due to student population demands. Daytona is more southern than places like DeLand just a few miles away. You will either hate or love bike week(s) in Daytona, move there knowing it is a major event that interferes with your ability to get around. The beach in Daytona is not exactly south beach of Miami, it is kind of basic. Nascar is obviously huge in Daytona and also interferes with getting around if you just need to get to work and so on. If you love motorcycles and nascar you will obviously pick Daytona. If you want to take a class you would find it easier in Gainesville.

I'm sure I have more but that is a few for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or