U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM

19 posts, read 31,075 times

Advertisements

hi Everyone!!

I have been spending lots of time browsing the forums but this is the second time i have ever posted so bear with me

I currently live in good old Fargo ND and my husband and I are looking to relocate for about 1-1 1/2 yrs and then return back to north dakota. I have never lived anywhere besides minnesota/north dakota and we just want one adventure before we put roots down back home and start having babies. We really want to live on the coastal part of Florida and really like Brevard county. We were there a few weeks ago and really like the the melbourne beach/satellite beach and so area. From what I read they have good schools too as we do have a 14 yr (she is my stepdaughter)

My questions are

1) Is there any parts of Brevard county we should absolutley stay away from?

2) Is there another part of florida in general that we should consider that we may have not thought of?

3) Are there are jobs in florida (from what I have read this seems to be the most difficult part)

4) Are there communities with families who have teenagers or are they mostly retiree communities?

I am 28 my husband is 32 he is a welder and I am a hairstylist. Also we plan on renting not buying since this will not be permanent

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 PM

495 posts, read 2,080,314 times
Unless you absolutely gotta get out of the cold why not work in those oil boom towns in ND where they are begging for workers ? A welder should make good money in the oil fields, at least double what he would make in Fla. Build up a nest egg and then come south and the lower wages wont be an issue.

Donno know that much about Brevard County though, Just try to stay away from areas with bad demographics for crime.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM

The oil boom areas are not everything they are cracked up to be. Yes you can make money but with the good comes the bad. The crime rates have sky rocketed and good luck finding housing! If and thats a big if you can find an apartment expect to pay around 3000 a month for a crappy apartment. Where we live in nd is about 8hrs from the oil boom area and what most people do is a buy a camper and my hubby would stay out there on the weekends in a Walmart parking lot and then come home on the weekends. As much as I love $ I love keeping my family together more. Also we don't want to wait too long because I would want to move back wwhile our child was very young or i was even preggers

Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM

21,116 posts, read 30,210,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattiejean57 View Post
hi Everyone!!

I have been spending lots of time browsing the forums but this is the second time i have ever posted so bear with me

I currently live in good old Fargo ND and my husband and I are looking to relocate for about 1-1 1/2 yrs and then return back to north dakota. I have never lived anywhere besides minnesota/north dakota and we just want one adventure before we put roots down back home and start having babies. We really want to live on the coastal part of Florida and really like Brevard county. We were there a few weeks ago and really like the the melbourne beach/satellite beach and so area. From what I read they have good schools too as we do have a 14 yr (she is my stepdaughter)

My questions are

1) Is there any parts of Brevard county we should absolutley stay away from?

2) Is there another part of florida in general that we should consider that we may have not thought of?

3) Are there are jobs in florida (from what I have read this seems to be the most difficult part)

4) Are there communities with families who have teenagers or are they mostly retiree communities?

I am 28 my husband is 32 he is a welder and I am a hairstylist. Also we plan on renting not buying since this will not be permanent

Thanks!
Satellite Beach is a nice, well-established family area and Satellite Beach HS is excellent. Jobs won't be easy anywhere in the state right now so if you've found a place you like you might as well focus there and try to make it work. Plan on having at least several months of living expenses set aside if you plan to move jobless, which is pretty much how one has to do it seems anymore. I think as a hairstylist you might have a decent shot of finding something quickly if you're open to "renting a chair" versus being hired onto a staff as an hourly. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Satellite beach is were we are leaning towards right now and I am actually not to worried about me, more my husband. I don't have a clue what the job market for welders are down there

Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 AM

21,116 posts, read 30,210,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattiejean57 View Post
Satellite beach is were we are leaning towards right now and I am actually not to worried about me, more my husband. I don't have a clue what the job market for welders are down there
I don't know about welders myself but wonder if he has any marine/boat experience as there is quite a bit of repair work along the coast. Underwater welding could be a good thing as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 AM

That is what we are hoping he will find as he does do under water welding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida