Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

I just found this chart (see attachment) and plan to ask the Produce Manager at my local Publix store why I can't buy local products in the store in season because it's not offered while produce from California, Mexico and Canada are. Hopefully other will find it useful for the same purpose as I for one am tired of having to buy crappy produce in a state that produces quality fruits and vegetables nearly year-round!

http://www.florida-agriculture.com/p...lity_Chart.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM

326 posts, read 949,724 times
Once, when I was looking for decent priced seafood, I was told that the local seafood is shipped out of state because they (whoever they are) can get more money for it. Maybe it's the same with produce.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I just found this chart (see attachment) and plan to ask the Produce Manager at my local Publix store why I can't buy local products in the store in season because it's not offered while produce from California, Mexico and Canada are. Hopefully other will find it useful for the same purpose as I for one am tired of having to buy crappy produce in a state that produces quality fruits and vegetables nearly year-round!

Some Publix stores are participating in the locally grown program "Redland Raised"

Publix Promotes Redland Raised | Produce content from Supermarket News

But not all are. Maybe in your area they don't do this? I hadn't shopped at Publix for awhile then recently started going there more and was pleasantly surprised to see that not only are they carrying more locally grown produce, but they have a LOT more organic produce competively priced as well. Of course the Publix I go to is one of the most awesome Publix I have ever seen - it's huge and has everything. Still, even the "little" (1970s) Publix near my house has this as well.

I think there has to be demand in an area, if there is enough demand, no matter what the product is, Publix will start carrying it. I know when I lived in Lakeland (Publix headquarters) the Publix there was nice but very "white-bread" with few diverse options, because the population there doesn't really care. I am in heaven with the one here in Sarasota (on University Parkway) - it literally has everything.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
That was one of the biggest mysteries and disappointments to me. Ordering Florida citrus was as a big deal in the small northeast town that I grew up in. When I moved to Florida I anxiously ran into the grocery store so I could get my hands on those wonderful oranges. Imagine my astonishment to only find California oranges! In fact it was very difficult to find any Florida products in any grocery store. I guess it is because they can get better prices by shipping them elsewhere.

I find it hilarious that I get all kinds of Florida produce now that I live in Tennessee and it is far superior to California which often has e-coli and recall issues.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That was one of the biggest mysteries and disappointments to me. Ordering Florida citrus was as a big deal in the small northeast town that I grew up in. When I moved to Florida I anxiously ran into the grocery store so I could get my hands on those wonderful oranges. Imagine my astonishment to only find California oranges! In fact it was very difficult to find any Florida products in any grocery store. I guess it is because they can get better prices by shipping them elsewhere.

I find it hilarious that I get all kinds of Florida produce now that I live in Tennessee and it is far superior to California which often has e-coli and recall issues.
We get lots of delicious Tennessee produce when Florida produce is out of season, here, too.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

The sad reality is most people shopping in Publix don't care. Those that do care find produce other places.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
That chart doesn't help very much if you don't know where to find the stuff. I think there are websites around with information about picking your own of various crops. Here's one site:

http://www.pickyourown.org/FL.htm

Even at our local "green" market here in Dunedin some of the produce is from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida