Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elynam33 View Post
I have a question about making a right turn on red. When is it wrong and when is it right? Some intersections are clear about stopping on red because there is a clear sign that says "No turn on red" Then there are other intersections where it's a right turning lane and there is no sign. Maybe a sign that says stop for pedestrians and bicyclists or not. My daughter says if it's a right turning lane only and the light is red you stop and don't move till it turns green, even if there isn't an arrow. I must say I am not clear when it's ok to turn right on red. Help.

here is a link to the FL drivers handbook...a quick google search yielded this...I suggest you and 95% of the drivers in FL read this thoroughly

http://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/Engl...erHandbook.pdf

side note: this is the problem with society people are TOO DAMN LAZY to even perform basic google searches for information, why would you expect them to obey traffic laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,339 times
Like others have said, it is legal to turn right on red if you come to a complete stop first. Unless there is a "NO TURN ON RED" sign at the intersection.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elynam33 View Post
I have a question about making a right turn on red. When is it wrong and when is it right? Some intersections are clear about stopping on red because there is a clear sign that says "No turn on red" Then there are other intersections where it's a right turning lane and there is no sign. Maybe a sign that says stop for pedestrians and bicyclists or not. My daughter says if it's a right turning lane only and the light is red you stop and don't move till it turns green, even if there isn't an arrow. I must say I am not clear when it's ok to turn right on red. Help.
It's very simple. If there is no sign which says "no turn in red" then you can turn right on red from the right lane. Even if its a red turn arrow signal. If there is no sign you can turn. You can also turn left on red when you are on a one way street and the other street you are turning on is a one way street.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It's very simple. If there is no sign which says "no turn in red" then you can turn right on red from the right lane. Even if its a red turn arrow signal. If there is no sign you can turn.
I really wish the different states could agree on one rule for this. I have lived in two states where a red arrow is the same as a red light and two states where a red arrow is the same as a "no turn on red" sign. I learned to drive in a state with no turns allowed on red arrows. When I first moved to a state that did allow turns on red arrows I had a lot of mad people honking behind me at red arrows because I assumed the law was the same everywhere in the USA until I looked it up for my new state.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
The law is clear you are allowed to take a right turn left a on a red light after making a full stop (unless there is an additional "no turn on red sign").
The person asking the initial question could and should have turned right if the way was clear. Not taking the turn was a lack of courtesy towards other drivers who had to wait unnecessarily for the first car to unblock the intersection. You are not obligated to turn right (or left) on a red arrow, but if there is nothing that would prevent doing it, it is a matter of driving etiquette that you should do it.
Although it may be annoying that other drivers show impatience, try to understand them. For instance imagine it is YOU who are in a hurry to a meeting or taking your sick child to the ER. Would you like to be stuck on a red light because the driver in front of you does not know that it is allowed to turn right on a red light? I don't think so...

Much more important information (and less known) is that in Florida you are also allowed to take a LEFT turn on red arrow. The huge majority of Floridians does not know that and simply will stop there and wait and wait for the green light.

The pertinent info from the Florida DOT says:

A red LEFT turn arrow means that you must come to a complete stop at the marked stop line or before moving into the crosswalk or intersection, and shall remain stopped until a signal indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, the motorist facing a red LEFT turn arrow or red circular signal indication IS PERMITTED TO ENTER THE INTERSECTION TO TURN LEFT from a one-way street onto a one-way street with traffic moving to the left except when a "NO TURN ON RED" sign is displayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida