U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,379,864 times

Advertisements

Looks like New York has it right ...

Cracking down on texting drivers - City & Region - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article731332.ece - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM

34,232 posts, read 41,228,049 times
As with many laws involving driving, passing a law and enforcing that law are two different things.
How people can think its ok to text and drive astounds me,its kinda like driving and for every 12 seconds driven your eyes are closed for 10 of those 12 seconds.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,842,985 times
Even if they pass a law, they will have a rough time enforcing it. I would say almost impossible...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,379,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Even if they pass a law, they will have a rough time enforcing it. I would say almost impossible...
Really ? New York seems to be doing OK with enforcement. What makes Florida any different ?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,118,879 times
Quote:

I think it would be easy to enforce. Just look for the people driving 45-50 mph in the left hand lane on the highway or people who can't seem to stay in their own lane.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

It's very difficult to see people playing with their phones, especially here since tinted windows are the norm along with how can they differentiate someone dialing a number vs texting?

I've seen it at traffic lights mainly, people not paying attention to the light but playing with their phones, but a cop behind a car can't see much if anything. Besides many are not texting they are updating their Facebook status via their Droid or iPhone. You know, just left work, turning onto such and such road, then a minute later, they will update it again and so on.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,858,791 times
Quote:
It's very difficult to see people playing with their phones, especially here since tinted windows are the norm along with how can they differentiate someone dialing a number vs texting?

I've seen it at traffic lights mainly, people not paying attention to the light but playing with their phones, but a cop behind a car can't see much if anything. Besides many are not texting they are updating their Facebook status via their Droid or iPhone. You know, just left work, turning onto such and such road, then a minute later, they will update it again and so on.
That's why ALL hand held cell phone devices should be banned while driving. Hands free devices, only.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
That's why ALL hand held cell phone devices should be banned while driving. Hands free devices, only.
When they find Jimmy Hoffa let me know.

It's too late, the epidemic will only grow exponentially as the next generation hit's the roads. Just go to the mall sometime and look at the kids and teenagers and what they are doing while sitting or walking. Scary isn't it? Think they will stop when they get the key's to a car?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,585,256 times
FL is always a day late a dollar short on so many things. Now they're looking at putting up electronic signs on I-75. I saw that on the news last week, always reactive and never procative.

FL is also the only state that doesn't have a law for trucks having to stay to the right.

And yes if they get pulled over a few times and get a ticket(not a warning) but a real ticket they will learn their lesson.

Especially with gas going up.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,884,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL is always a day late a dollar short on so many things. Now they're looking at putting up electronic signs on I-75. I saw that on the news last week, always reactive and never procative.
I guess the electronic signs I have seen on 75 the last few years have been an illusion?
You saw a news piece about one sign they want to put up in one area. It doesn't mean they aren't already a bunch out there.
You really need to research before you type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL is also the only state that doesn't have a law for trucks having to stay to the right.

And yes if they get pulled over a few times and get a ticket(not a warning) but a real ticket they will learn their lesson.

Especially with gas going up.
Please post your proof that Florida is the only state that doesn't have the "No trucks in left lane" law.
Firstly, there are many stretches of highway in Florida that do have the restriction, secondly many states laws read as such,
Quote:
"SB930, Trucks with a registered gross weight in excess of 48,000 pounds will be prohibited from driving in the far left lane of “urbanized” highways that have at least three lanes of traffic in each direction."
, hardly a law that always has trucks staying to the right. And third, in a survey of truckers, 31% said they disobeyed lane restriction laws so it seems having the laws would not be enough anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or