U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 36,260 times

Advertisements

I am doing some research in order to determine which area of Florida would be a good place to start a psychotherapy practice.

Right now, I am considering the following areas for the following reasons:

Orlando (lots of people)
Tampa (again, lots of people)
Gainesville (UF student population)
Daytona Beach (on the water, people more open?)
South Florida (lots of people)

I don't know much (very, very, very little!) about south Florida. I also can't speak spanish....I learned a little in high school, but only remember the curse words.

If I moved to South Florida, would I experience culture shock? I'm 37, caucasian, and single.

Any thought you have about the extent to which I would experience culture shock and about the other areas I've listed would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,857,896 times
No I don't think so, unless your trying to do it on a budget you will find rental rates as more of a culture shock than anything else.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,812,089 times
I think it depends on the individual how much of a culture shock they will have moving to Miami. You will have less of a culture shock in Broward and Palm Beach counties than Miami-Dade.

Since you are coming from Jacksonville, I think you will have a shock at the cost of living in South Florida vs North Florida. Since you are 37 and single, I probably wouldn't suggest Gainesville or Daytona.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,709,107 times
As doggiebus suggests, the general culture shock will be progressively less as you move north from Miami to Palm Beach County.

BUT, a lot of that also has to do with your economic situation. If you've got the cash to be beachside or in Coral Gables or on Brickell in Miami, there'll be less culture shock (though it certainly is a different way of life in South Beach than most places). Conversely, if you have to live in the low income part of town in Palm Beach County, you may end up hearing more Spanish than you would in a higher end place in Miami!

Psychotherapy practice indicates a higher income, however, so you should be fine for every day life. However, if you're starting a new practice in Miami you will definitely either need Spanish assistants/receptionists, or a Rosetta Stone course ASAP.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 AM

629 posts, read 1,447,303 times
I think the level of culture shock really depends on the person. My parents have friends (from a small midwestern town) who passed through Miami and came back calling it a "third world country." To them apparently brown people who speak Spanish = third world. They're obviously on the far end of the spectrum, to them anything other than English-speaking white people is going to be a culture shock. I like to think that most of the country isn't that closed-minded so your individual level of culture shock is just going to depend on how you'd feel in a predominantly Latin-American culture.

Without speaking Spanish you'd be missing out on a good 50% of the population in Miami so that'd be one thing to keep in mind from a business perspective.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,137,489 times
If you intend to make money, dont set up a practice in Gainesville...

Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,137,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
I think the level of culture shock really depends on the person. My parents have friends (from a small midwestern town) who passed through Miami and came back calling it a "third world country." To them apparently brown people who speak Spanish = third world. They're obviously on the far end of the spectrum, to them anything other than English-speaking white people is going to be a culture shock. I like to think that most of the country isn't that closed-minded so your individual level of culture shock is just going to depend on how you'd feel in a predominantly Latin-American culture.

Without speaking Spanish you'd be missing out on a good 50% of the population in Miami so that'd be one thing to keep in mind from a business perspective.
Miami has been a 3rd world country since the late 70's. It's too far gone at this point.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 PM

499 posts, read 1,601,519 times
Question Umm?

ROFLMFAO!

Doc, you're NOT really intimately sharing with the rest of us in your posts of what your long-term goals or objectives are for us to help you!

Is it maintaining your Beemer or Making a Difference in your targeted communities?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 AM

613 posts, read 651,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Miami has been a 3rd world country since the late 70's. It's too far gone at this point.
What do you mean “Miami has been a third-world country since the 70's”? I know you are from Tampa, but I’ll assume this is not some sort of typical Tampa-style racist statement.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM

613 posts, read 651,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bruno F. Dasilva Sr. View Post
I agree. Miami feels like a poor city in Colombia in vibe and energy but in reality in the nice areas it's very wealthy - materilistic wise because rich Latinos cannot flaunt thier wealth in their chome ountries, so they buy a 2nd home in Miami and drive their Ferrari there without fear of being kidnapped or robbed at gun or knife point.

The underground garage of the Condo Jade or ICON on Brickell is full of expensive sports cars.

Is Miami the only city in the world with people who own expensive sports cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or