Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times

Advertisements

To the people who can't seem to acclimate to Florida weather...why do you stay? I'm not trying to be facetious. Just wondering why you would put such overwhelming restrictions on your lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
To the people who can't seem to acclimate to Florida weather...why do you stay? I'm not trying to be facetious. Just wondering why you would put such overwhelming restrictions on your lifestyle.
Maybe job/ economic reasons?

I mean I love the weather in California, but that doesn't mean I could move my family there and make it work.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^ Exactly, so many reasons why people stay in a place they don't want to be. Family, friends, work, etc. I have been trying to move to California for years now, he keeps saying he wants to move. But I have given up on the idea we will ever get to live full time in California.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
FL has it's issues for sure, and some of these things are opinions. These are generalizations of course, but many areas have very high foreclosure rates since the state got hit one of the hardest in the nation during the housing crunch. Some of the areas have very high unemployment and got hit hard during the recession.

The heat and humidity is bad and pretty unbearable during many months of the year. The AC in your house will run 10-11 months a year. Outdoor activities are very limited during many months of the year since it's just too hot, unless you are right on the beach or water is a little better.

The southern states in general are fatter and unhealthier than other areas of the country. Some of these things you don't notice until you go somewhere else. I grew up in FL and lived there for 27 years, then moved to CO. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone smoking, but at my job in FL I was the only one of a department of 10 people who didn't smoke, lots of little things like that.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I love living and working in Florida. I'm originally from NY, but my family had always spent vacations here. It does feel 'vacationy' even though I've lived here for years. The pace seems slower (which is what I love). I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to go far for a vacation. I miss "seasons" but it only takes a few minutes of video footage on the news, of people digging themselves out of snow to convince me I'm in the right place. I have a great professional position so I'm not stressed over the job situation. As far as location, I personally would stay away from large metropolitan areas. I don't mind living with driving distance of a "downtown" but I just prefer not to live there.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
it only takes a few minutes of video footage on the news, of people digging themselves out of snow to convince me I'm in the right place.
Why is it people try to put over the idea of us northern residents as perpetually digging out from snow?For most of us it happens maybe once or twice a year and its really no big deal.Its Feb 25 today and we had our first snowfall of any significance last night (about a foot),it will take me about 10 minutes to dig out the car and another 10 to load the skiis into the car.
If you dont like the cold thats one thing but to continually paint a picture that its never ending snow clearing is a bit of an embellishment.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 AM

261 posts, read 357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why is it people try to put over the idea of us northern residents as perpetually digging out from snow?For most of us it happens maybe once or twice a year and its really no big deal.Its Feb 25 today and we had our first snowfall of any significance last night (about a foot),it will take me about 10 minutes to dig out the car and another 10 to load the skiis into the car.
If you dont like the cold thats one thing but to continually paint a picture that its never ending snow clearing is a bit of an embellishment.

Now it happens a lot more than once or twice a year in a normal winter. And having to spend any time scraping off the car, even two minutes to brush an inch or so off the car ruins my whole day. You add skis to the car and just make the day worse, that means I am planning on spending a WHOLE DAY in the snow? Forget it, I'll be in the lodge, on my laptop, planning my next trip to somewhere that never gets below 60 degrees.

Do you get the idea that I hate both cold and snow? I understand there are those of you who love it, but there are also those of us who despise it. I just realized that we have been on winter break this week and I haven't left the house since last Saturday. Wow, that's kind of depressing. I only leave the house in winter for work and special events. I walk on my treadmill until the temperature gets above 60 degrees. I hate cold, I hate wearing a coat and boats, I hate that ten seconds of freezing cold to get from the house to the car.

So for those of us that don't tolerate cold too well seeing that picture of snow would be enough to reaffirm a decision to move. I love NY state, especially in the summer, but if it wasn't for an incredibly large extended family I would move in a heartbeat.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Unless you live near the great lakes, like parts of upstate NY

Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
it's the florida cheerleader way.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
it's the florida cheerleader way.
What's wrong with being a "cheerleader"? If a person doesn't like where they live, then I find it silly that anyone would even tolerate it. I'm glad to actually enjoy where I live and work. That does happen for some people sometimes. Guess I'm just lucky. Sorry if it's brutal for everyone else. If so, start packing. It's a huge country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida