U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,239,470 times

Advertisements

I normally plan all my business trips from Pcola. Most flight will take you to Atlanta or Memphis but Air Tran is giving better pricing than the other airlines. Is bit of a savings and the service is excellent. THe airport in Pcola is not as busy as FWB, both airports provide a great service to the area.

This area is growing everyday and many more people from the state continue to move to a more relax area. I can't complain this is a great place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 AM

145 posts, read 273,284 times
Tallahassee is run down and yucky. Jacksonville is a big city...polluted. I would try somewhere Sanford, Lakeland, Venice, New Port Richey, Gainesville.
TL

Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,988,196 times
Sanford is basically a slum- the schools there are horrible.

Lakeland is a little on the southern side and offers nothing more than rural living- and an hour drive (depending on traffic maybe longer) to either Orlando or Tampa Airports. They don't take well to newbies there either- it's kind of backward.

Venice- it's in southwest florida, building out alot, but not much in the way of change of seasons.

NPR- that area's been wrecked by urban sprawl.

Gainesville- best choice of all of these but you are going to be stuck driving over an hour to the Jax- airport unless you're willing to fly through atlanta for all travels.

I really would consider the Jacksonville area if I were you- Jacksonville has the largest city limits of all cities in Florida but the actual downtown area is relatively small. It's not heavily polluted as stated above by any means.

I think you'll find what you like by going slightly west (Clay County- Orange Park, Drs Inlet, Middleburg) or north. You could even consider the very south areas of Georgia- the airport is north of Jax- maybe 15 miles from the state line.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,882,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellight27 View Post
Tallahassee is run down and yucky.

Which Universe do you live in? Unless you only saw the bus station, I think it is going to be difficult for you to support this assertion.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM

387 posts, read 1,441,148 times
G'ville > Tally. Just my opinion. G'Ville has easier access to other parts of Florida. You can get to the Gulf or the "real ocean" in a short time... Jacksonville airport (which by the way, there are some amazing deals from JAX to out West going on), Orlando, Tampa.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
G'ville > Tally. Just my opinion. G'Ville has easier access to other parts of Florida. You can get to the Gulf or the "real ocean" in a short time... Jacksonville airport (which by the way, there are some amazing deals from JAX to out West going on), Orlando, Tampa.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages - Tallahassee has a much better job market, for example (and is only 45 minutes from the Gulf, BTW).

But to say the whole place us "yucky" and "run down" is just plain ignorant. Tallahassee is a beautiful and relatively clean city by Florida standards.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 AM

272 posts, read 1,405,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
Thank you all so much. By the way if I could get good schools and cooler weather I would be in heaven. LOL We tried Massachusetts and it was a little to cold. LOL
If you want good schools and cooler weather, you should definitely look at the panhandle. Particularly Okaloosa and Santa Rosa counties. The schools in Escambia and Bay aren't very good. It is easy to live in Santa Rosa Co. and commute to Pensacola. Also, the beaches here are outstanding. They are like the Caribbean and that is no exaggeration. This area is conservative and fairly family oriented but it is a slower pace and there isn't as much to do as say Orlando. However, Orlando is only about 6 hours or so by car.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,176,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellight27 View Post
Jacksonville is a big city...polluted.
Polluted? How? We have some of the best air quality around - better than the national average. Our water quality is also very good.

Oh, you must mean the paper mill smell . Been gone for decades, the air smells sweet and clean ! Sounds like you need to update yourself with a visit to Jax .

Old 09-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Sounds like he needs to update his information on a lot of areas.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
HI I was looking into northern Florida for a possible move. Does anybody know anything about the area? Schools are my main focus. We like having a town center, not the urban sprawl we have here in Orlando. We would like a little land 1/2 + acre. Our price range is $300. Again I am looking for a good school system. We don't like houses right on top of each other but we like neighbors for our kids to play with and such. I have been tubing down and swimming in the springs up there and went to school in Gainesville. I visited Tallahasse back in my college days but don't remember alot. LOL Some of the cities I noticed online are Alchua, Chiefland,High springs. We do like restaurants and shopping. So within 30mins? My husband is very flexible since his territory includes Texas- South Carolina. Maybe a good airport within 45min? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
I just got back from a week exploring the north Florida area. I planned to just take a cheap Enterprise weekend special rent a car and do some looking around a little as well as get away, business has been hectic lately and I needed to get away anyway. Well, I didn't want to come back. I am depressed already just being in Fort Lauderdale. Will probably rent at first but it is a move I want to happen before the first of the year. The area I am very interested in is west of Tallahassee, it is like another state.

The property I went up to look at and make a final decision on is not going to happen. The owner is just plain nuts. He paid $60,000 for it in 2004 and tried to flip it for $140,000. It didn't sell and he has come down to $90,000. I offered $50,000 and could care less if he takes it. There is so much nice land up there you can have your pick and you will be no more then 20 to 30 minutes from Tallahassee. I was looking around Hosford and like that area lot. We will take another tips in two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or