Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
HI I was looking into northern Florida for a possible move. Does anybody know anything about the area? Schools are my main focus. We like having a town center, not the urban sprawl we have here in Orlando. We would like a little land 1/2 + acre. Our price range is $300. Again I am looking for a good school system. We don't like houses right on top of each other but we like neighbors for our kids to play with and such. I have been tubing down and swimming in the springs up there and went to school in Gainesville. I visited Tallahasse back in my college days but don't remember alot. LOL Some of the cities I noticed online are Alchua, Chiefland,High springs. We do like restaurants and shopping. So within 30mins? My husband is very flexible since his territory includes Texas- South Carolina. Maybe a good airport within 45min? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
I just got back from a week exploring the north Florida area. I planned to just take a cheap Enterprise weekend special rent a car and do some looking around a little as well as get away, business has been hectic lately and I needed to get away anyway. Well, I didn't want to come back. I am depressed already just being back in Fort Lauderdale, what a dump. Will probably rent at first but it is a move I want to happen before the first of the year. The area I am very interested in is west of Tallahassee, it is like another state.

The property I went up to look at and make a final decision on is not going to happen. The owner is just plain nuts. He paid $60,000 for it in 2004 and tried to flip it for $140,000. It didn't sell and he has come down to $90,000. I offered $50,000 and could care less if he takes it. There is so much nice land up there you can have your pick and you will be no more then 20 to 30 minutes from Tallahassee. I was looking around Hosford and like that area lot. We will take another trip in two weeks.

One thing, you really have to go to an area and get the feel of it as well as look around. Forget Realtor.com I saw nice places with signs on them that were for sale by owner. I looked at a few places I found on Realtor.com and what a joke, you have to see it in person.

Last edited by macguy; 09-13-2007 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 AM

432 posts, read 1,873,249 times
This is true on Realtor.com, for most areas. You really have to see it.

I went looking in Santa Rosa County last spring, and saw that the cheaper homes which look nice in the pictures were not really in the neighborhoods I wanted. One was a lovely little new house that I had requested to see, good size lot, dead end street, and trailers and trash all over the neighborhood. So we went to look at other things, and I got a feeling for the developments I will want to buy into. I thought I would be down there by now, but have run into some personal issues with health. You just can't sell and buy houses and relocate when you are dealing with surgery.

When i was a realtor, i found that this was true of Realtor.com here in NJ too. People would ask to see the "perfect" house that was priced so cheap and would not believe me when I told them they were living across from an auto salvage/industrial area until they saw for themselves.

I am hoping I will be in the p'cola area in the spring!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
This is true on Realtor.com, for most areas. You really have to see it.

I went looking in Santa Rosa County last spring, and saw that the cheaper homes which look nice in the pictures were not really in the neighborhoods I wanted. One was a lovely little new house that I had requested to see, good size lot, dead end street, and trailers and trash all over the neighborhood. So we went to look at other things, and I got a feeling for the developments I will want to buy into. I thought I would be down there by now, but have run into some personal issues with health. You just can't sell and buy houses and relocate when you are dealing with surgery.

When i was a realtor, i found that this was true of Realtor.com here in NJ too. People would ask to see the "perfect" house that was priced so cheap and would not believe me when I told them they were living across from an auto salvage/industrial area until they saw for themselves.

I am hoping I will be in the p'cola area in the spring!
With google earth you can take a pretty good look. I saw one place that sounded good but on google earth I saw what looked like some kind if electrical station next door with a million wires going over the property. When I called the realtor they acted like they didn't know it was there, or what exactly it was. What a bunch of liars thank goodness for google earth.

I could have made a 400 mile drive based on the crap I was being told by the realtor. You have to just bite the bullet and go there where ever that is, to see if it's what you really want. I am so happy with what I saw last week where I went, I want to go up there right now and rent something. Then maybe build or buy later but get the heck out of here. I never thought I would be a renter, but I am very content with the thought now. Who knows I may never own again.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
I used to live in the Ft Walton Beach area. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I thought I could find a decent paying job. Wondering now how Jacksonville is. It sure would make my relocation easier ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida